Ryzen processors and CentOS - and a for sale

Ryzen processors and CentOS - and a for sale

Samba - linux mailing list
Hi all,

I bought a new AMD Ryzen processor and matching motherboard for my home server
recently, and if you do the same you'll need to know two things:

1) You'll need to update to at least a 4.10 kernel, which in CentOS can be
done by enabling the El Repo repository and updating to the 'kernel-mt' package:

https://www.servethehome.com/stop-constant-centos-7-3-crashes-amd-ryzen-using-kernel-4-10/

2) The Ryzen processor doesn't have any GPU on board, which means that even if
your motherboard has video outputs (e.g. HDMI or DisplayPort) you won't
actually get any video.  You'll need to have, or buy, a graphics card.  This
is different from Ryzen-compatible AMD A-class CPUs, which has both GPU and
CPU in the package.

Learning experiences all round :-)

On a related note, I have an Asus M2N-MX Micro-ATX motherboard with Athlon-II
CPU, heatsink and 8GB of RAM to sell.  It's working perfectly, except I
managed many years ago to rip off one of the on-board SATA ports, so it only
has three remaining.  It's good for a small home server or desktop machine.

$50 or nearest offer.

Have fun,

Paul

Re: Ryzen processors and CentOS - and a for sale kernel

Samba - linux mailing list
Paul,

Sounds very nice.

Is that a Ryzen 5, 7, or Threadripper ?

How may cores/threads ?

Kernel version 4.10, you say ... a bit sad for standard Debian
builds...
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianStretch#Packages_.26_versions
DebianStretch
It is the current stable distribution, released 2017-06-17.
kernel : Linux 4.9

Please let us know what you are using it for, and how it performs for
you.

George.

On 22/10/17 15:50, George at Clug via linux wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Sounds very nice.
>
> Is that a Ryzen 5, 7, or Threadripper ?
>
> How may cores/threads ?
>
> Kernel version 4.10, you say ... a bit sad for standard Debian
> builds...
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianStretch#Packages_.26_versions
> DebianStretch
> It is the current stable distribution, released 2017-06-17.
> kernel : Linux 4.9

*Don't worry* - support for the Zen CPU topography has been backported
to Stretch 4.9.x series linux-images. Jessie-backports should also work.

However - if you require support for Realtek ALC1220 audio chip you need
a 4.11+ series kernel(*1), and if you want support for multi-IOMMU, then
you are going to have to wait a bit longer.

(*1) or either:-

**compile your own backported kernel (good luck, you need to change GCC
version support)

**or (recommended for desktop machines) use Steve Pusser's backported
4.13.0-7.2 Liquorix kernel:-
cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/liquorix.list
# wget -nv
https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:stevenpusser:codelite/Debian_9.0/Release.key
-O Release.key&&apt-key add - < Release.key&&apt-get update
deb
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser:/codelite/Debian_9.0/
/

** use one of the backported Stretch kernels e.g.:-
apt-cache search linux-image | grep bpo
linux-image-4.12.0-0.bpo.2-686 - Linux 4.12 for older PCs
linux-image-4.12.0-0.bpo.2-686-pae - Linux 4.12 for modern PCs
linux-image-4.12.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 - Linux 4.12 for 64-bit PCs

<snipped>

Kind regards

--
    A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    A: The lost context.
    Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

    A: Yes.
    Q: Should I trim down the quoted part of an email to which I'm reply

http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html

Re: Ryzen processors and CentOS - and a for sale kernel

Samba - linux mailing list
On 22/10/17 15:50, George at Clug via linux wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Sounds very nice.
>
> Is that a Ryzen 5, 7, or Threadripper ?
>
> How may cores/threads ?

A Ryzen 1500, 4 cores, 8 threads.  I wanted something in the 65W range.

> Please let us know what you are using it for, and how it performs for
> you.

Mainly my home server, for which it's a bit overpowered.  This does mean
building mixes and reprocessing some videos will be a lot faster now, but
since my laptop is about the same power, I'm fine for processing power.

Seems to be going just fine.

Have fun,

Paul