Rsyncing without RSH or SSH ?

Samba - rsync mailing list
People,

This doesn't seem possible - would it be possible to hack a version of
rsync to do it?

As an exercise, I want to create a VM image (or at least backup of all
the files with rsync) from a SCSI drive in an old Red Hat (NOT
Enterprise) v5.2 Linux 486 machine (circa 1999 that does have rsync on
it but it has protocol problems talking my server).  The 486 has:

- an ISA Adaptec 1542 SCSI controller attached to a Seagate 2GB drive
with 6 partitions

- an ISA ne2000 network card

- a 1.44MB FD

So, to be able to create the image of the 2GB SCSI drive that is in the
486, I need to boot the 486 on one or more floppy disks and dd the
/dev/sda drive over SSH to a file on my big Fedora 25 x86_64
workstation.  I now have Basic Linux booting from floppies but it is
still 2005 vintage and uses SSH1 and I haven't been able to get the old
Ciphers, MACs and KexAlgorithms working with my Fedora 25 x86_64 server
- so I still can't ssh or rsync to it from the 486.  BL does not have
any rshd . .

Any possibility of a version of rsync that doesn't need RSH or SSH?
Even if that hacking were possible, I guess it would have to be done on
the old rsync code for RH5.2 or BL3.5 . . and I don't know if that stuff
would still exist anywhere anyway . .

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Rsyncing without RSH or SSH ?

Samba - rsync mailing list
Rsh should be pretty easy to do.  I don't think it has changed since
before RH5.2 vintage.

Otherwise, your best bet would be NFS.  I think RH5.2 is new enough for
NFSv3 but I don't remember for sure.

Alternatively maybe you know someone with a newer SCSI controller.  I
have several PCI ones and even a PCI-X one I haven't used in years.

--
~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,
        Kevin Korb Phone:    (407) 252-6853

Re: Rsyncing without RSH or SSH ?

Samba - rsync mailing list
Kevin,

I know a KK - I have talked to him about Sydney Futurists stuff and
politics etc . . different email address though . .

See inline comments:

On 2017-03-14 16:17, Kevin Korb via rsync wrote:
> Rsh should be pretty easy to do.  I don't think it has changed since
> before RH5.2 vintage.

Yes, I was thinking I could cross-compile for 486 on my workstations - I
will check that option out . .

> Otherwise, your best bet would be NFS.  I think RH5.2 is new enough
> for NFSv3 but I don't remember for sure.

Ah . . yes - good thinking - I will have a look at that too.  In recent
years I have been using sshfs on odd occasions and I have forgotten
about NFS . .

> Alternatively maybe you know someone with a newer SCSI controller.  I
> have several PCI ones and even a PCI-X one I haven't used in years.

Yes, I do have a PCI card in a box somewhere too - that will be last
resort if the software approach fails . .

I have also sent a note to the Aboriginal Linux list and started
building from their git repo - all very interesting and fun when I
should be doing else . .

Regards,

Phil.

--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Rsyncing without RSH or SSH ?

Samba - rsync mailing list

> Any possibility of a version of rsync that doesn't need RSH or SSH?

rsync already doesn't need rsh or ssh.

* On host A (server, with room to accept big uploads):

Edit /etc/rsyncd.conf, add this to the end:
[hostb]
         path = /srv/rsync/hostb
         auth users = hostb

Edit /etc/rsyncd.secrets, add this line:
hostb:hostbpass

mkdir -p /srv/rsync/hostb

sudo rsync --daemon

* On host B (client, uploading to server):

RSYNC_PASSWORD=hostbpass rsync -avz /path/to/dir hostb@hosta::hostb

Replace "hosta" with whatever hostname or ip address for "Host A".

On hosta, the rsync --daemon wil listen on port 873 and the traffic will
go direct from rsync on hostb to rsync on hosta, no rsh or ssh.

For single huge files like dd images though, dd|netcat is a lot faster.

--
bkw

Re: Rsyncing without RSH or SSH ?

Samba - rsync mailing list
Brian,

On 2017-03-21 07:35, Brian K. White via rsync wrote:

>> Any possibility of a version of rsync that doesn't need RSH or SSH?
>
> rsync already doesn't need rsh or ssh.
>
> * On host A (server, with room to accept big uploads):
>
> Edit /etc/rsyncd.conf, add this to the end:
> [hostb]
>         path = /srv/rsync/hostb
>         auth users = hostb
>
> Edit /etc/rsyncd.secrets, add this line:
> hostb:hostbpass
>
> mkdir -p /srv/rsync/hostb
>
> sudo rsync --daemon
>

> * On host B (client, uploading to server):
>
> RSYNC_PASSWORD=hostbpass rsync -avz /path/to/dir hostb@hosta::hostb
>
> Replace "hosta" with whatever hostname or ip address for "Host A".
>
> On hosta, the rsync --daemon wil listen on port 873 and the traffic
> will go direct from rsync on hostb to rsync on hosta, no rsh or ssh.

Excellent!  Thanks for that . . I love rsync . . it is so clever . .

> For single huge files like dd images though, dd|netcat is a lot faster.

Right.

Regards,

Phil.
--