Rsync temporary file name

Gionatan Danti
Hi list,
I have some questions on how rsync names the temporary files it create
during a file transfer.

It is my understanding that temporary files are name .<filename>.ABCDEF,
where "ABCDEF" is a random 6-chars alphanumeric string.

First question: it is correct to say that the random aphanumeric string
is _always_ 6 chars long?

Second question: it is possibile to define a specific, non-random
string? I read what rsync's manpage says about suffixes, but they seems
to affect only backupped files.

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan