Rsync Failed & /proc/kcore 128 TiB & NTFS HDD Makes Scary sounds even when not mounted

Rsync Failed & /proc/kcore 128 TiB & NTFS HDD Makes Scary sounds even when not mounted

Kezhawe
Hi,

I tried to backup my gentoobox using rsync into a NTFS External Drive
Rsync Failed And now there is no space lesft on my root directory "/"
and kcore file size is 128 TiB and my External NTFS HDD makes scary
sounds (Like it is working hardly) even when its not mounted rsync
created some files/directories that i cant remove them on my External
HDD using "rm -rf" , Please help my to get my system & HDD back to
normal life.

Re: Rsync Failed & /proc/kcore 128 TiB & NTFS HDD Makes Scary sounds even when not mounted

Kezhawe
I can still read&write on the external hdd and on my laptop (which I
have my gentoo there) I can't do anything on / because its filled up
with /proc/kcore after "rsync failed"

rsync -aAXv
--exclude={"/dev/*","/proc/*","/sys/*","/tmp/*","/run/*","/mnt/*","/media/*","/lost+found"} /*
"/run/media/narin/My Book/Gentoo Rsync Backup"/

$df
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2        50G   49G     0 100% /
devtmpfs         10M     0   10M   0% /dev
tmpfs           1.2G 1012K  1.2G   1% /run
shm             5.7G     0  5.7G   0% /dev/shm
cgroup_root      10M     0   10M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda5        20G  1.7G   17G   9% /var
/dev/sda6       382G   28G  334G   8% /home

rsync-3.1.1

> On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 07:11:46 +0200
> Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If your hard disk is making scary noises that could be the drive
> starting to fail have you tried to determine if the drive is still
> good or on the way out?
>
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 2:12 AM, Kezhawe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried to backup my gentoobox using rsync into a NTFS External
> > Drive Rsync Failed And now there is no space lesft on my root
> > directory "/" and kcore file size is 128 TiB and my External NTFS
> > HDD makes scary sounds (Like it is working hardly) even when its
> > not mounted rsync created some files/directories that i cant remove
> > them on my External HDD using "rm -rf" , Please help my to get my
> > system & HDD back to normal life.
> > --
> > Please use reply-all for most replies to avoid omitting the mailing
> > Before posting, read:

Re: Rsync Failed & /proc/kcore 128 TiB & NTFS HDD Makes Scary sounds even when not mounted

Paul Slootman-5
On Thu 30 Apr 2015, Kezhawe wrote:

> I can still read&write on the external hdd and on my laptop (which I
> have my gentoo there) I can't do anything on / because its filled up
> with /proc/kcore after "rsync failed"

You need to ignore /proc/kcore as (a) that's a virtual file that doesn't
reside on your disk and (b) it's always that large as it's the
representation of the kernel's address space.

As your root filesystem is full, something else has filled it.
Are you sure "/run/media/narin/My Book/Gentoo Rsync Backup"/ (curious
quoting BTW) was in fact mounted? If not, that's simply on your root
filesystem and you've copied your data to the root filesystem.

Paul

Re: Rsync Failed & /proc/kcore 128 TiB & NTFS HDD Makes Scary sounds even when not mounted

Kezhawe
Solved,
Rsync put the backup into /root/Backup
Found the folder using

$du -h --max-depth=3 / | sort -h

also fixed the external NTFS HDD with M$-Windows (couldn't find an app
to fix ntfs on linux)