Quantcast

Require help on removing SAMBA

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Team,

Can you please guide us to remove SAMBA 3.0.24 completely from our SOLARIS Server as we don't require it anymore ?

Thanks,
Suganthi

Re: Require help on removing SAMBA

Samba - General mailing list

Am 11.04.2017 um 11:34 schrieb M, Suganthi via samba:
> Can you please guide us to remove SAMBA 3.0.24 completely from our
> SOLARIS Server as we don't require it anymore?

nobody knows how you installed it and so even nobody knows locations of
data which on many package driven systems are below /etc/samba and
/var/lib/samba

anyways, that's more a operating system related question

Re: Require help on removing SAMBA

Samba - General mailing list
stay on list!

Am 11.04.2017 um 12:08 schrieb M, Suganthi:
> Thanks for your reply . I am not able to find people who installed it because it was done around
> 10 years back but I am requested to remove it from our SOLARIS10 server now .
> I am able to see samba in /etc/samba  which has private folder and conf file.
> Please let me know if you can help with executable commands with steps for removing SAMBA.

i typed in google "http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=471016"
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=471016

as you have no idea how your machine is setup and there exists no
documentation in your company you have 3 options:

* just disable the service and don't touch anything else
* setup a new machine with documentation
* just google around

this is *not* just a samba specific question

i would setup a new machine when obviously nobody has a clue about the
software state and someone expects me to take over responisbility for a
setup without documentation and a known state

sun1333 $ svcs -a | grep samba
disabled       Apr_08   svc:/network/samba:default

I see SAMBA is already disabled with the above information but when vulnerability scan is done on our server we are reported with below vulnerabilities from SAMBA 3.0.24

Samba receive_smb_raw() Remote Code Execution Vulnerability
Samba MS-RPC Request Parsing Heap Buffer Overflows
Samba Remote Command Injection Vulnerability

we don’t want to apply patch as we are not using it . I am also searching google for more help to remove it . Thanks for your inputs.

i typed in google "https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.tek-2Dtips.com_viewthread.cfm-3Fqid-3D471016&d=DwICaQ&c=gJN2jf8AyP5Q6Np0yWY19w&r=x2M0tR3EdRhNjaWgQZf1vcBsXdJ9DorFVGz7dY414mg&m=1bLDzswE6KWobjGDVIIbLt0ZW1bt7vXnRDl7fsgorpw&s=5KRtivQvjwpbCWQwzue73pLQMj6D9LpTsivT3Su17Hg&e= "
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.tek-2Dtips.com_viewthread.cfm-3Fqid-3D471016&d=DwICaQ&c=gJN2jf8AyP5Q6Np0yWY19w&r=x2M0tR3EdRhNjaWgQZf1vcBsXdJ9DorFVGz7dY414mg&m=1bLDzswE6KWobjGDVIIbLt0ZW1bt7vXnRDl7fsgorpw&s=5KRtivQvjwpbCWQwzue73pLQMj6D9LpTsivT3Su17Hg&e=

as you have no idea how your machine is setup and there exists no documentation in your company you have 3 options:

* just disable the service and don't touch anything else
* setup a new machine with documentation
* just google around

this is *not* just a samba specific question

i would setup a new machine when obviously nobody has a clue about the software state and someone expects me to take over responisbility for a setup without documentation and a known state

A "netstat", including the "-p" flag (assuming solaris supports
that), will show the "programs"/binaries behind open ports. That
should help you identify relevant pieces that you would need to shut
down and remove. Assuming that the word "samba" will appear on these
(or in other places) is being a little hopeful. Your man page for
samba (assuming it was installed) should give some hints however.