Quantcast

Rename domain during classicupgrade step?

Rename domain during classicupgrade step?

Samba - General mailing list
I can see in the docs that a domain rename is not recommended/supported
by Samba for an already provisioned domain. However, what I can't work
out is if this is not possible during the classicupgrade step either?
Does this make any difference, or would it present the same difficulties
as renaming an already provisioned Samba AD?

It case what I'm asking is not quite clear - I have a Samba NT style
domain - and I would like to change its name when I use classicupgrade
to migrate it to an AD style domain. Can this be done?

Re: Rename domain during classicupgrade step?

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Sebastian,

Am 11.05.2017 um 19:39 schrieb Sebastian Arcus via samba:
> I can see in the docs that a domain rename is not recommended/supported
> by Samba for an already provisioned domain. However, what I can't work
> out is if this is not possible during the classicupgrade step either?

Theoretically it should be possible to change the NetBIOS domain name
during the migration. In the background, Samba/Windows uses SIDs and not
names.

Try the following in a test environment:
* Set the new NetBIOS domain name in smb.conf ("workgroup" parameter).
* Run the migration

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Migrating_a_Samba_NT4_Domain_to_Samba_AD_(Classic_Upgrade)

Verify that the domain members in your test environment, that were part
of the domain before you run the migration, still work correctly
afterwards.

Please let us know if this worked.

Regards,
Marc