Quantcast

Regarding samba image and shared libraries size

Regarding samba image and shared libraries size

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
Hi Team,

I have compiled samba-4.5.5 for MIPS architecture.
It's compiled successfully.

But the only problem is, 'smbd' depends on lot of libraries(93 shared
libraries).
The total size of the shared libraries is huge. Because of this, the total
size of the image got increased.

Is there a way to reduce the shared libraries size and smbd image size.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
Jawath Muckdhar

--

be inspired ! be happy! be urself!

~ jawath ~

regarding samba shared library size and image size.txt (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Regarding samba image and shared libraries size

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
Hi Jawath,

I'm not sure we can shrink the overall size, but we can shrink the
number of shared libraries.

See look for "nonshared-configure" in
https://git.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=blob;f=script/autobuild.py
The important one is --nonshared-binary=smbtorture,smbd/smbd

"none-configure" may also have useful options, e.g.
--with-static-modules=!FORCED,!DEFAULT
--with-shared-modules=!FORCED,!DEFAULT
which avoids as much modules as possible.

--without-ad-dc may also reduce the size.

Maybe something of this helps a bit...

metze

Am 11.04.2017 um 17:59 schrieb Jawath Muckdhar via samba-technical:

> Hi Team,
>
> I have compiled samba-4.5.5 for MIPS architecture.
> It's compiled successfully.
>
> But the only problem is, 'smbd' depends on lot of libraries(93 shared
> libraries).
> The total size of the shared libraries is huge. Because of this, the total
> size of the image got increased.
>
> Is there a way to reduce the shared libraries size and smbd image size.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Jawath Muckdhar

Re: Regarding samba image and shared libraries size

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
On Tue, 2017-04-11 at 21:47 +0200, Stefan Metzmacher via samba-
technical wrote:

> Hi Jawath,
>
> I'm not sure we can shrink the overall size, but we can shrink the
> number of shared libraries.
>
> See look for "nonshared-configure" in
> https://git.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=blob;f=script/autobuild.py
> The important one is --nonshared-binary=smbtorture,smbd/smbd
>
> "none-configure" may also have useful options, e.g.
> --with-static-modules=!FORCED,!DEFAULT
> --with-shared-modules=!FORCED,!DEFAULT
> which avoids as much modules as possible.
>
> --without-ad-dc may also reduce the size.
>
> Maybe something of this helps a bit...

I was able to trim it down a bit with some gcc options:

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2017-January/118470.html

It needs some work, but that combined with some options to remove
spoolss and other unused pipes (for the fileserver) might help a lot.

Re: Regarding samba image and shared libraries size

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 12:47 PM, Stefan Metzmacher via
samba-technical <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jawath,
>
> I'm not sure we can shrink the overall size, but we can shrink the
> number of shared libraries.
>
> See look for "nonshared-configure" in
> https://git.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=blob;f=script/autobuild.py
> The important one is --nonshared-binary=smbtorture,smbd/smbd
>
> "none-configure" may also have useful options, e.g.
> --with-static-modules=!FORCED,!DEFAULT
> --with-shared-modules=!FORCED,!DEFAULT
> which avoids as much modules as possible.
>
> --without-ad-dc may also reduce the size.
>
> Maybe something of this helps a bit...

Why is it an issue? A library is only going to count against your RSS
if that code gets used and starts allocating object, surely. VSS is
almost free, it's RSS you need to worry about. I would think it costs
you almost nothing for those libraries that are not used because your
config doesn't require them.

> metze
>
> Am 11.04.2017 um 17:59 schrieb Jawath Muckdhar via samba-technical:
>> Hi Team,
>>
>> I have compiled samba-4.5.5 for MIPS architecture.
>> It's compiled successfully.
>>
>> But the only problem is, 'smbd' depends on lot of libraries(93 shared
>> libraries).
>> The total size of the shared libraries is huge. Because of this, the total
>> size of the image got increased.
>>
>> Is there a way to reduce the shared libraries size and smbd image size.
>>
>> Any help is appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks & Regards,
>> Jawath Muckdhar

Richard Sharpe