Realm change

bogdan_bartos
I provisioned a domain with samba4 as "FILESERVER" and the name seemed logic at the time since they had only one server, but as I expanded the network, it seems like it was a bad choice. Is there any way to change it to something more general and logical in this case like... "AD"? Can the realm be changed without re-provisioning?

Re: Realm change

Rowland Penny-4
On 11/06/15 18:31, bogdan_bartos wrote:

> I provisioned a domain with samba4 as "FILESERVER" and the name seemed logic
> at the time since they had only one server, but as I expanded the network,
> it seems like it was a bad choice. Is there any way to change it to
> something more general and logical in this case like... "AD"? Can the realm
> be changed without re-provisioning?

It should be possible, see here:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781575%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

I don't think there are any samba tools to do this, you will probably
have to do it with windows tools, that is if it will work.

Re: Realm change

Andrew Bartlett
On Thu, 2015-06-11 at 19:12 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:

> On 11/06/15 18:31, bogdan_bartos wrote:
> > I provisioned a domain with samba4 as "FILESERVER" and the name
> > seemed logic
> > at the time since they had only one server, but as I expanded the
> > network,
> > it seems like it was a bad choice. Is there any way to change it to
> > something more general and logical in this case like... "AD"? Can
> > the realm
> > be changed without re-provisioning?
> >

> > --
> > Nabble.com.
>
> It should be possible, see here:
> https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781575%28v=ws.10%29.asp
>
> I don't think there are any samba tools to do this, you will probably
> have to do it with windows tools, that is if it will work.

I looked into this a little, while wondering what the extra interface
documented in MS-DRSR was.  There is this strange preparescript
interface, and what is done is that a bulk XML set of changes is
uploaded, to be done in a single transaction.

That allows the massive set of updates required to do a rename to
happen 'at once'.

We don't provide that interface yet, but it would be interesting to add
(but I don't have any plans, patches welcome etc).

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team         https://samba.org
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba