Re: can't get samba 3.0.14a to work with ldap..part 2: smaba 3.0.15

Re: can't get samba 3.0.14a to work with ldap..part 2: smaba 3.0.15

rich foo
Hi...
I posted a few days ago that I was having trouble getting samba 3.0.14a to
work with ldap.  I switched up to 3.0.15pre2 and had much the same
trouble.  I have been following the instructions in
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-Guide.pdf, but I am still having
troubles.

Here is what happens when i run smbldap-populate:

mercury:/usr/local/samba/sbin# ./smldap-populate -a root -k 0 -m 0
Populating LDAP directory for domain TESTNET
(S-1-5-21-4179843118-1526938909-891067941)
(using builtin directory structure)

Use of uninitialized value in string ne at ./smbldap-populate line 165
Use of uninitialized value in concactenation (.) or string at
./smbldap-populate line 170
entry o=ssfsnet already exist.
adding new entry: ou=People,o=ssfsnet
adding new entry: ou=Groups,o=ssfsnet
adding new entry: ou=Computers,o=ssfsnet
Can't call method "dn" on an undefined value at ./smbldap-populate line
442, <GEN1> line 6.
mercury:/usr/local/samba/sbin#

I can't figure out what is wrong...The smb.conf is taken straight from the
documentation and the smbldap tools should be properly configured.  Every
thing is "by the book" but I still can't seem to get it working.  Could
somebody perhaps post somewhere a working smb.conf and perhaps a slapcat
dump (minus users, of course) or even a working smbldap.conf?  I know I'm
probably just missing something stupid, but I am out of ideas

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Re: can't get samba 3.0.14a to work with ldap..part 2: smaba 3.0.15

Holger Wesser

Re: can't get samba 3.0.14a to work with ldap..part 2: smaba=?ISO-8859-1?Q? 3.0.15?=

rich foo
The ldap tools are 8.8.  Previous versions have worked to some extent, but
as I posted earlier, I still can't get samba to cooperate.  The ldap and
crypt perl modules are installed and working.  I was having difficulty
with 3.0.14a and was told to read the
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-Guide.pdf book.  This is as far as I
could get.  LDAP authentication is working for unix accounts, but not for
samba.

Rich

Re: can't get samba 3.0.14a to work with ldap..part 2: smaba 3.0.15

John H Terpstra - Samba Team
Rich,

Instead of assuming the examples in the book are wrong, or do not work, just
because you can not get them to work, may I suggest that you work with me to
"fix" the documentation so others can avoid your pain.

Please send me direct to <[hidden email]> the following:

1. Output of: testparm -s > the-smb.conf
2. Your smbldap.conf file.
3. Your /etc/openldap/slapd.conf file
4. Your /etc/ldap.conf file
5. Your /etc/nsswitch.conf file

Also, please provide detailed, step-by-step, output of each configuration step
in the current on-line PDF from:

        http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-Guide.pdf

Since this is about to be published I would hate myself every day for
producing errant guidance once this is in print. Please help me so I will not
hate myself for misguiding people.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member

Author:
Samba-3 by Example, ISBN: 0131472216
Hardening Linux, ISBN: 0072254971
Other books in production.

Re: can't get samba 3.0.14a to work with ldap..part 2: smaba=?ISO-8859-1?Q? 3.0.15?=

rich foo
John,

I certainly didn't mean to sound as though I was bashing the
documentation, I am only bashing myself for not being able to figure out
what I am doing wrong.  The only reason I stressed that my config was
straight from the documentation was to provide a clearer picture of my
setup, and to point out that I was taking your advice and trying to work
through the examples given.

I have started again from scratch with samba-3.0.15pre2 and I will send
you your requested config files shortly.

Thanks, and again, I certainly did not mean to bash the documentation.  I
fully realize that a lot of work goes into it and I am grateful for samba
and all it has done for me over the past 10 years since my first install.

Rich

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 12:14, rich foo wrote:

> John,
>
> I certainly didn't mean to sound as though I was bashing the
> documentation, I am only bashing myself for not being able to figure out
> what I am doing wrong.  The only reason I stressed that my config was
> straight from the documentation was to provide a clearer picture of my
> setup, and to point out that I was taking your advice and trying to work
> through the examples given.
>
> I have started again from scratch with samba-3.0.15pre2 and I will send
> you your requested config files shortly.
>
> Thanks, and again, I certainly did not mean to bash the documentation.  I
> fully realize that a lot of work goes into it and I am grateful for samba
> and all it has done for me over the past 10 years since my first install.

Rich,

I am not emotionally attached to the documentation, but I do want to get it
right. The current documentation update provides numerous checks and balances
against common typographic mistakes. Whereever it makes sense in the current
documentation update I am adding checks and validation steps to weed-out
commonly made mistakes.

My approach to the documentation has been shaped by feedback from this list. I
know the documentation is mostly correct - we have had enough feedback that
it works that I am not in doubt about the documentation. That said, if anyone
can justly claim to have followed the documentation, and it did not work,
then as far as I am concerned the documentation has failed! No questions - it
failed.

The documentor's challenge is to write in such a way that every step is
designed to catch errors. That means that any error that you make in
following the documentation IS my problem.

PS: Since Samba is open source, user contributed software, that by definition
means that this is a community problem also. In other words, if you allow me
to get away with buggy documentation that is your fault as a user, as much as
it is my fault as the writer.

So, blast away please. Let's get it right! Please give me all the criticism of
the documentation you can think of. I want it all and I want it full-on.

- John T.

> Rich
>

> Rich,
>

> Instead of assuming the examples in the book are wrong, or do not work,
> just
> because you can not get them to work, may I suggest that you work with me
> "fix" the documentation so others can avoid your pain.
>

> Please send me direct to <[hidden email]> the following:

--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member
Phone: +1 (650) 580-8668

Author:
Samba-3 by Example, ISBN: 0131472216
Hardening Linux, ISBN: 0072254971
Other books in production.

Re: can't get samba 3.0.14a to work with ldap..part 2: smaba 3.0.15

tom burkart
On Apr 27, rich foo wrote:

> mercury:/usr/local/samba/sbin# ./smldap-populate -a root -k 0 -m 0
>
> Use of uninitialized value in string ne at ./smbldap-populate line 165
> Use of uninitialized value in concactenation (.) or string at
> ./smbldap-populate line 170
this happens when smbldap.conf does not have a valid `suffix="dc=..."'
line

> entry o=ssfsnet already exist.
> adding new entry: ou=People,o=ssfsnet
> Can't call method "dn" on an undefined value at ./smbldap-populate line
> 442, <GEN1> line 6.
Similar to above.
Sounds like you may have a misconfigured smbldap.conf file.

tom.