Re: Samba packages

Samba - General mailing list
On Fri, 6 Oct 2017 11:08:16 +0000
"Mogane, Ratanang Johannes, Vodacom South Africa (External)"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good afternoon Rowland,
>
> I have subscribed. But I 'm getting error when trying to visit the
> subscribers list. See Below:
>
>  Error
>
> samba roster authentication failed.

Mogane, have you tried sending an email to the Samba mailing list :
[hidden email]

I have cc'ed the list with this email, wait awhile and see if you get a
copy.

Samba Packages

Samba - General mailing list
Morning All,

The packages below can be used for Solaris 11 when installing samba?

SUNWsmbar SUNWsmbau SUNWmbac SUNWsmbas

Regards
Ratanang
This e-mail is classified C2 - Vodacom Restricted - Information to be used inside Vodacom but it may be shared with authorised partners.

“This e-mail is sent on the Terms and Conditions that can be accessed by Clicking on this link https://webmail.vodacom.co.za/tc/default.html "

Re: Samba Packages

Samba - General mailing list
On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 09:39:03 +0000
"Mogane, Ratanang Johannes, Vodacom South Africa \(External\) via
samba" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Morning All,
>
> The packages below can be used for Solaris 11 when installing samba?
>
> SUNWsmbar SUNWsmbau SUNWmbac SUNWsmbas

Glad to see that you finally got here ;-)

I have no idea if they will work, are they available for a Sparc
computer running Solaris 11 ?

What type of Samba machine are you trying to set up, a 'client' or an
AD DC ?

If the packages you have found are not for a 4.x.x version and you
cannot find any that are, you might want to consider compiling Samba
yourself, if this is possible on Sparc. I seem to remember someone
doing this on Solaris 11, but whether this was on Sparc, I don't know.

Re: Samba Packages

Samba - General mailing list
On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 11:12:26 +0000
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rowland,
>
> I would like Sparc Server to have SAMBA installed. I have a Windows
> platform that runs checks and calculates statistics but it requires
> data from Sparc server in order to do this.

Yes, but what do want to set the 'server' up as ?
You can set up Samba as a:
standalone server
NT4-style PDC (not recommended, at least by myself)
AD DC
Windows ADS client

What version of Samba are the packages for ?

What version of Windows are you connecting to ?

Re: Samba Packages

Samba - General mailing list
I am running Solaris 11, which includes samba 4.4.14.    The packaging
method has changed from Solaris 10, and you need a support contract to
register the system for the latest version.   I have no idea if Solaris
10 includes samba 4.x.

I think to configure or rebuild Samba on Solaris 11 as an AD Directory
Server/Domain controller would be difficult, since Solaris does not
include the Heimdal version of Kerberos. Solaris 11 also includes its
own SMB implementation, which I have not tried out yet, but is probably
simple enough if you are configuring as a client.

> On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 11:12:26 +0000
> "Mogane, Ratanang Johannes, Vodacom South Africa (External)"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Rowland,
>>
>> I would like Sparc Server to have SAMBA installed. I have a Windows
>> platform that runs checks and calculates statistics but it requires
>> data from Sparc server in order to do this.
>>
> Yes, but what do want to set the 'server' up as ?
> You can set up Samba as a:
> standalone server
> NT4-style PDC (not recommended, at least by myself)
> AD DC
> Windows ADS client
>
> What version of Samba are the packages for ?
>
> What version of Windows are you connecting to ?

Re: Samba Packages

Samba - General mailing list
On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 08:23:17 -0400
Gaiseric Vandal via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am running Solaris 11, which includes samba 4.4.14.    The
> packaging method has changed from Solaris 10, and you need a support
> contract to register the system for the latest version.   I have no
> idea if Solaris 10 includes samba 4.x.
>
> I think to configure or rebuild Samba on Solaris 11 as an AD
> Directory Server/Domain controller would be difficult, since Solaris
> does not include the Heimdal version of Kerberos. Solaris 11 also
> includes its own SMB implementation, which I have not tried out yet,
> but is probably simple enough if you are configuring as a client.

The lack of Heimdal on Solaris shouldn't be a problem, Samba bundles it
with the tarball and builds a DC with it by default.
The main problem (as I see it) is that word 'Sparc', if Solaris 11 for
Sparc includes 4.4.14, then if the OP just wants a client then he
should go with this. If he wants a DC, then it gets sticky, does the
filesystem support ACLs ? etc

Re: Samba Packages

Samba - General mailing list
I would guess that Solaris 11 for sparc has the same packages available
as for Solaris 11.    I would surprised if it doesn't.   Compiling Samba
on Solaris has always been a struggle for me.         I wouldn't bother
trying it, so I think it effectively rules out using Solaris as a Samba
AD directory server.        The nice thing about the precompiled version
of Solaris (the one bundled with the OS) is that all the ZFS ACL modules
are compiled in, and the correct kerberos and ldap client paths are
compiled in.    The nice thing about the precompiled version of Solaris
(the one bundled with the OS) is that all the ZFS ACL modules are
compiled in, and the correct kerberos and ldap client paths are compiled
in.

Solaris 11 supports ACL's assuming you are using the ZFS file system
(which shd be the default with the possible exception of the root and
var, depending on the solaris release that was installed.)   The ZFS
acl's are a not, I think, actually posix acl's, so sometimes the
behavior between unix level and windows level permissions is not quite
what you expect.    I would avoid trying  set permissions for multiple
users and multiple groups- if you have a ProjectX folder you should have
a corresponding ProjectX group.

I am curious about what the Solaris Sparc software is?

> On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 08:23:17 -0400
> Gaiseric Vandal via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am running Solaris 11, which includes samba 4.4.14.    The
>> packaging method has changed from Solaris 10, and you need a support
>> contract to register the system for the latest version.   I have no
>> idea if Solaris 10 includes samba 4.x.
>>
>> I think to configure or rebuild Samba on Solaris 11 as an AD
>> Directory Server/Domain controller would be difficult, since Solaris
>> does not include the Heimdal version of Kerberos. Solaris 11 also
>> includes its own SMB implementation, which I have not tried out yet,
>> but is probably simple enough if you are configuring as a client.
>>
> The lack of Heimdal on Solaris shouldn't be a problem, Samba bundles it
> with the tarball and builds a DC with it by default.
> The main problem (as I see it) is that word 'Sparc', if Solaris 11 for
> Sparc includes 4.4.14, then if the OP just wants a client then he
> should go with this. If he wants a DC, then it gets sticky, does the
> filesystem support ACLs ? etc

Re: Samba Packages

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 8:23 AM, Gaiseric Vandal via samba
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am running Solaris 11, which includes samba 4.4.14.    The packaging
> method has changed from Solaris 10, and you need a support contract to
> register the system for the latest version.   I have no idea if Solaris 10
> includes samba 4.x.

Given the shutdown of Sun Microsystems in 2010, and the lagging
support for newer core libraries in Solaris, I think Rowland can
*really* hurt himself trying to backport contemporary releases to
Solaris. If you really need such a hobby, enjoy, but I anticipate a
lot of difficulty backporting the dependencies to an operating system
in the constant throws of rewriting the licenses. (I refer to Oracle's
back and forth licensing on Solaris, *none* of with are a clear open
source or free software license.)

> I think to configure or rebuild Samba on Solaris 11 as an AD Directory
> Server/Domain controller would be difficult, since Solaris does not include
> the Heimdal version of Kerberos. Solaris 11 also includes its own SMB
> implementation, which I have not tried out yet, but is probably simple
> enough if you are configuring as a client.

Right. I urge him not to do unnecessary work. I do see some packages
at https://www.opencsw.org/package/samba/ that might be useful

> On 10/09/17 07:21, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 11:12:26 +0000
>> "Mogane, Ratanang Johannes, Vodacom South Africa (External)"
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Rowland,
>>>
>>> I would like Sparc Server to have SAMBA installed. I have a Windows
>>> platform that runs checks and calculates statistics but it requires
>>> data from Sparc server in order to do this.
>>>
>> Yes, but what do want to set the 'server' up as ?
>> You can set up Samba as a:
>> standalone server
>> NT4-style PDC (not recommended, at least by myself)
>> AD DC
>> Windows ADS client
>>
>> What version of Samba are the packages for ?
>>
>> What version of Windows are you connecting to ?
>>
>> Rowland

Rowland, if possible, turn this around. Let the Solaris server mount
CIFS from the Windows server and write to it, rather than trying to
set up a server on an operating system that is akwward to support.

I say this as one of the early publishers of Samba builds and tools
for SunOS. As much as I liked SunOS as a server back in the day, it
got..... weird out there after Solaris and the switch to AT&T style
UNIX came along.

Re: Samba Packages

Samba - General mailing list
On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 20:32:30 -0400
Nico Kadel-Garcia via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 8:23 AM, Gaiseric Vandal via samba
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I am running Solaris 11, which includes samba 4.4.14.    The
> > packaging method has changed from Solaris 10, and you need a
> > support contract to register the system for the latest version.   I
> > have no idea if Solaris 10 includes samba 4.x.
>
> Given the shutdown of Sun Microsystems in 2010, and the lagging
> support for newer core libraries in Solaris, I think Rowland can
> *really* hurt himself trying to backport contemporary releases to
> Solaris. If you really need such a hobby, enjoy, but I anticipate a
> lot of difficulty backporting the dependencies to an operating system
> in the constant throws of rewriting the licenses. (I refer to Oracle's
> back and forth licensing on Solaris, *none* of with are a clear open
> source or free software license.)

I am not the OP, I will not be trying to build Samba on Sparc, I just
laid out the options for the OP. I did this because the OP never told
us what he requires.
I agree that building Samba on Solaris 11 is likely to be hard, if not
impossible, but I will not be trying it, mainly because my Sparc boxes
are languishing in the back of a cupboard.

> Rowland, if possible, turn this around. Let the Solaris server mount
> CIFS from the Windows server and write to it, rather than trying to
> set up a server on an operating system that is akwward to support.

Do you want to point this at the OP and not me ;-)

> I say this as one of the early publishers of Samba builds and tools
> for SunOS. As much as I liked SunOS as a server back in the day, it
> got..... weird out there after Solaris and the switch to AT&T style
> UNIX came along.

Solaris always was a bit weird, especially if you were used to Linux.