Quantcast

Re: Myth TV Questions

Ian Bardsley-2
Thanks to all who responded to my request for help.  Having spent more
time on the issue this evening, I am now of the opinion that the Ubuntu
Mythtv package is faulty and will not  establish  a database during the
install process so until I can find a solution it's back to Windows for
recording those TV  progs that I may want to record.

Thanks again

Ian Bardsley

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

/On 14th Nov

Good Evening

I took advantage of an idle evening yesterday to explore the possibility
of setting up MythTV.  A fair bit of Googling and reading leads me to
the conclusion that this may be something of a challenge.

I decided to follow the steps of a MythTV How To just to see if some of
the negative comments found on the net were valid and lo and behold they
could well be.

Having loaded mysql-server, mythtv-frontend, mythtv-backend and mythtv
database as outlined in the How To, was able to view a mythtv page after
selecting a language that told me that myth couldn't connect to the
database followed by:

Hostname:  localhost
Database:  mythconverge
User: mythtv
Password: mythtv
Database type: MySQL

Bu*#@! I thought. Perhaps the software install was flawed so I remove
the installed packages and instead of using Synaptic (yes I'm currently
playing with Ubuntu 6.1).  I tried apt-get install mythtv and watched
carefully the progress.  The following is a dump of that process:

ian@desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install mythtv
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      Reading state information... Done
 libmyth-0.20 libqt3-mt-mysql mythtv-backend mythtv-common mythtv-database
 mythtv-frontend
Suggested packages:
 mythweb mythmusic mythweather mythgallery mythdvd mythvideo mythgame
Recommended packages:
 mythtv-doc mythtv-themes xmltv-util
 libmyth-0.20 libqt3-mt-mysql mythtv mythtv-backend mythtv-common
 mythtv-database mythtv-frontend
0 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/14.6MB of archives.
After unpacking 37.5MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package libqt3-mt-mysql.
(Reading database ... 99077 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libqt3-mt-mysql (from
.../libqt3-mt-mysql_3%3a3.3.6-3ubuntu3_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libmyth-0.20.
Unpacking libmyth-0.20 (from .../libmyth-0.20_0.20-0.2ubuntu2_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package mythtv-common.
Unpacking mythtv-common (from .../mythtv-common_0.20-0.2ubuntu2_all.deb)
Selecting previously deselected package mythtv-database.
Unpacking mythtv-database (from
.../mythtv-database_0.20-0.2ubuntu2_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package mythtv-frontend.
Unpacking mythtv-frontend (from
.../mythtv-frontend_0.20-0.2ubuntu2_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package mythtv-backend.
Unpacking mythtv-backend (from
.../mythtv-backend_0.20-0.2ubuntu2_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package mythtv.
Unpacking mythtv (from .../mythtv_0.20-0.2ubuntu2_all.deb) ...
Setting up libqt3-mt-mysql (3.3.6-3ubuntu3) ...
Setting up libmyth-0.20 (0.20-0.2ubuntu2) ...

Setting up mythtv-common (0.20-0.2ubuntu2) ...

/Setting up mythtv-database (0.20-0.2ubuntu2) ...
Failed to connect to database: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost'
(using password: YES) at -e line 5, <> line 1.
Failed to create database (incorrect admin username/password?)
If you supplied incorrect information, try:
dpkg-reconfigure --force mythtv-database
dpkg: error processing mythtv-database (--configure):
Setting up mythtv-frontend (0.20-0.2ubuntu2) ...

Setting up mythtv-backend (0.20-0.2ubuntu2) ...
udev active, devices will be created in / /dev//.static/dev/
Starting MythTV server: mythbackendSession management error:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
.

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mythtv:
mythtv depends on mythtv-database (= 0.20-0.2ubuntu2); however:
 Package mythtv-database is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing mythtv (--configure):
mythtv-database
mythtv
ian@desktop:~$ /

Now this is beyond me.  I have no idea what this means....could the
package be faulty??

I am aware that a number of cluggers are using Mythtv,  Can anyone point
me to a solution or is anyone aware of a well structured How To on
getting this programme up and running?

TIA

Ian Bardsley
 /

Re: Re: Myth TV Questions

Michael Cohen
Ian,
  I find its just easier (if a little more lengthy) to just compile the svn or
  release sources. Its pretty straight forward to compile, and you get the
  advantage of being able to do svn update periodically to fix bugs issues. A
  typical myth install is fairly robust nowadays and I had mine running for
  months without any problems (with the oztv program source).

  You normally need to run mythtvsetup to build your database so that may be your
  problem.

  Michael.