Re: Game freezing

Samba - General mailing list
Hello,

I hope it is ok to come here for a little help.

I use _Samba Version 4.5.12-Debian_ on a _Linux serveur 4.9.0-4-amd64 #1
SMP Debian 4.9.51-1 (2017-09-28) x86_64 GNU/Linux_.
I use it to load games from my Playstation 2 over my home network.

Here is the relevant part of my smb.conf file.

    ~ % cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
    [global]
            netbios name = Partage
            workgroup = USERS
            ntlm auth = Yes
            security = user
            idmap config * : backend = tdb
            hosts allow = 192.168.1.
            cclient ntlmv2 auth = Yes

    [PS2SMB]
            path = /srv/PS2SMB
            force user = ps2
            hosts allow = 192.168.1.6
            read only = No
            valid users = ps2

It's all very simple, no fancy settings on my side.
On the PS2 side, I am using Open PS2 Loader (OPL), from
https://github.com/Jay-Jay-OPL/OPL-Daily-Builds. I don't understand this
code very well myself so I couldn't invertigate properly on this side.

Now here is my problem. I can load games, this part works well.
When I let the PS2 idle for a while, without touching anything, it feels
like it looses the connnection to the server. The next time the game
wants to load something, it won't and will freeze.

I believe OPL's code is quite old and maybe doesn't handle everything
Samba does properly.
Could it be some sort of sleeping mode on Samba's side that would cause
the PS2 to disconnect/reconnect, resulting in OPL to be lost?

Side question, "idmap config * : backend = tdb" shouldn't be required
right? I'm not too sure.

Best,
Antoine

Re: Game freezing

Samba - General mailing list

See inline comments:

On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 19:31:30 +0100
Antoine Huchet via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I hope it is ok to come here for a little help.
>
> I use _Samba Version 4.5.12-Debian_ on a _Linux serveur 4.9.0-4-amd64
> #1 SMP Debian 4.9.51-1 (2017-09-28) x86_64 GNU/Linux_.
> I use it to load games from my Playstation 2 over my home network.
>
> Here is the relevant part of my smb.conf file.
>
>     ~ % cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
>     [global]
>             netbios name = Partage
>             workgroup = USERS
>             ntlm auth = Yes
>             security = user
>             idmap config * : backend = tdb

You don't need the above line, it is a default setting.

>             hosts allow = 192.168.1.
>             cclient ntlmv2 auth = Yes

There should only be one 'c' at the start of the line above, so Samba
will ignore the line, but there is no point in fixing it, just remove
the line, it is the default setting.

>     [PS2SMB]
>             path = /srv/PS2SMB
>             force user = ps2
>             hosts allow = 192.168.1.6
>             read only = No
>             valid users = ps2

Try adding 'deadtime = 15'

Re: Game freezing

Samba - General mailing list
I edited my smb.conf acording to all your remarks, thanks.

Just so I understand, the manual says that the default is "deadtime=0"
and that

> A deadtime of zero indicates that no auto-disconnection should be
> performed.

So how come I am getting auto-disconnected?
And how come I need to set deadtime=15?

I am currently leaving my PS2 idling, will keep you informed.

Your help is very appreciated.

Best,
Antoine

> See inline comments:
>
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 19:31:30 +0100
> Antoine Huchet via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>

>> I hope it is ok to come here for a little help.
>>
>> I use _Samba Version 4.5.12-Debian_ on a _Linux serveur 4.9.0-4-amd64
>> #1 SMP Debian 4.9.51-1 (2017-09-28) x86_64 GNU/Linux_.
>> I use it to load games from my Playstation 2 over my home network.
>>
>> Here is the relevant part of my smb.conf file.
>>
>>     ~ % cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
>>     [global]
>>             netbios name = Partage
>>             workgroup = USERS
>>             ntlm auth = Yes
>>             security = user
>>             idmap config * : backend = tdb
> You don't need the above line, it is a default setting.
>
>>             hosts allow = 192.168.1.
>>             cclient ntlmv2 auth = Yes
> There should only be one 'c' at the start of the line above, so Samba
> will ignore the line, but there is no point in fixing it, just remove
> the line, it is the default setting.
>
>>     [PS2SMB]
>>             path = /srv/PS2SMB
>>             force user = ps2
>>             hosts allow = 192.168.1.6
>>             read only = No
>>             valid users = ps2
>>
> Try adding 'deadtime = 15'

Re: Game freezing

Samba - General mailing list
On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 20:53:17 +0100
Antoine Huchet via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I edited my smb.conf acording to all your remarks, thanks.
>
> Just so I understand, the manual says that the default is "deadtime=0"
> and that
>
> > A deadtime of zero indicates that no auto-disconnection should be
> > performed.
>
> So how come I am getting auto-disconnected?
> And how come I need to set deadtime=15?

You are correct in what you are saying, but there is no other obvious
reason for your problem, so it is worth trying.

> I am currently leaving my PS2 idling, will keep you informed.

Okay.