Re: Blank printers names while browsing remote printers

Re: Blank printers names while browsing remote printers

Samba - General mailing list

Hi Louis,

Thanks for your fast reply.

I tried kinit method with
no success. I upgraded from 4.5.8 to 4.6.7 with repo with no success
(many thanks for time saved compiling samba btw)

The only strange
thing I can see is that some of my users are return as "unknown" by the
"id user" command, even if "wbinfo -u" know them well. They are minority
but they are here... The error talk about "Could not convert sid S-0-0:
NT_STATUS_NONE_MAPPED"

Don't know what to do next...

--

Olivier B

Re: Blank printers names while browsing remote printers

Samba - General mailing list
Hai Olivier,

Looks to me its a small problem, but lets start here.

First, can you post your:

cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
cat /etc/resolv.conf
cat /etc/hosts

dpkg --get-selections | egrep "samba|winbind|libnss|pam|avahi|dbus"
(some people may see libnss(-mdns)/avahi/dbus not needed, yes, thats correct, but i use this for my airprint solution.)

Last, check this for upgraded to 4.6
run testparm for you id mapping checks.  ( MEMBER : testparm , DC : samba-tool testparm )
See the also :  'IDENTITY MAPPING CONSIDERATIONS' section in the smb.conf manpage.
The one easy missed here is this part,
With 4.6, it will be possible to optionally use the primary group as set in the "Unix Attributes" tab for the local unix token of a domainuser.
Before 4.6, the Windows primary group was always chosen as primary group for the local unix token.

To activate the unix primary group, set
idmap config <DOMAIN> : unix_primary_group = yes

Similarly, set
idmap config <DOMAIN> : unix_nss_info = yes

to retrieve the home directory and login shell from the "Unix Attributes" of the user. This supersedes the "winbind nss info" parameter with a per-domain configuration option.

4.5.x =>  4.6.0 : smb.conf changes
https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.6.0.html
================
  Parameter Name                Description             Default
  --------------                -----------             -------
  kerberos encryption types     New                     all
  inherit owner                 New option
  fruit:resource                Spelling correction
  lsa over netlogon             New (deprecated)        no
  rpc server port               New                     0

Greetz,

Louis

Thanks for your reply, and sorry for delay. we were busy
trying to solve the issue ;), and a few days off after that.

Finally,
it looks like it was a corrupted tdb file, the
/var/lib/samba/registry.tdb

When I browsed the file via a windows
registry console, I can see that a working printer had subkeys and
settings while a problematic printer had nothing underneath.

I solved
the problem by :

  * browsing the printer via a Windows 7 explorer
  *
trying to connect, the windows browser say that the driver "" cannot be
found on the system, etc
  * I chose a generic driver temporary
  * Once
the printer is installed on the client, I delete it (still on the client
spooler)
  * I refresh the print management console, the printer is
named back and has the wrong driver
  * I change the driver, put the ACL
back, check the samba port back too, and the printer is ready

Now I put
a backup on all the samba directories every day ;)

Cheers and thanks a
lot, I keep your advices for ou next upgrades from samba 4.5 to 4.6
domain controlers

Cheers
--

Olivier