RPC Protocol Error

qvindesland
Hello List,

Sorry I am battling with a windows 2003 64bit ts server that gives me
the error message: A remote Procedure Call (RPC) Protocol Error occurred
for some users but not for all when it tries to authenticate to the ldc,
does any one have any idea what this means and how to resolve it.

Kind regards
Per Qvindesland

Re: RPC Protocol Error

Jeremy Allison
On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 04:22:25PM +0200, Per Qvindesland wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> Sorry I am battling with a windows 2003 64bit ts server that gives me
> the error message: A remote Procedure Call (RPC) Protocol Error occurred
> for some users but not for all when it tries to authenticate to the ldc,
> does any one have any idea what this means and how to resolve it.

What version of Samba running on what platform ?

Jeremy.

Re: RPC Protocol Error

Jeremy Allison
On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 05:26:46PM +0200, Per Qvindesland wrote:
> Thanks for replying
>
> I am running slox with samba 2.2.8a-234 installed.

This is a very old version of Samba, written before
Windows even *ran* on 64-bit hardware. Please upgrade
to the latest release, that should work fine with 64-bit
Windows.

Jeremy.

Re: RPC Protocol Error

qvindesland
Hello Jeremy,

Again thanks for all your help, but no joy I updated to the latest
release but no joy, this server also has ldap installed working togeter
with samba, do you have any other idea?

Kind regards
Per Qvindesland

Jeremy Allison wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 05:26:46PM +0200, Per Qvindesland wrote:
>
>> Thanks for replying
>>
>> I am running slox with samba 2.2.8a-234 installed.
>>

> This is a very old version of Samba, written before
> Windows even *ran* on 64-bit hardware. Please upgrade
> to the latest release, that should work fine with 64-bit
> Windows.
>
> Jeremy.

Re: RPC Protocol Error

Volker Lendecke
On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 06:52:45PM +0200, Per Qvindesland wrote:
> Again thanks for all your help, but no joy I updated to the latest
> release but no joy, this server also has ldap installed working togeter
> with samba, do you have any other idea?

You might want to send a debug level 10 log of smbd failing,
together with a network sniff of the operation.

Volker

Re: RPC Protocol Error

qvindesland
Hello,

Sorry that I have not replied to these but it has just been so hectic.

I have redone the ldc with a fc 4 machine and the latest samba and ldap,
now things has improved but the issue that I am now having is the new
windows 2003 server only accepts usernames with 6-7 characters which is
rather irritating.

Does anyone know where I can change this on windows? when I try a
username shorter or longer then 6-7 characters on a windows 2000 machine
it works fine so there must be somewhere that billy boy is saying that I
can't use any shorter or longer usernames.

Regards
Per Qvindesland