RE: wbinfo can not convert User names and Group name to S ID

RE: wbinfo can not convert User names and Group name to S ID

Bugzilla from kevin.wilson@comtrol.com
Yep. We are dealing with once perfectly fine working 3.0.9 servers to
erratic and weird behaved ones. We believe this is due to changes made my MS
in http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-042.mspx but thus
far have not been able to confirm.

Commands like: net rpc join -S PDC -U <Admin>

now return "no suitable server found" even though that is the same command
used when we setup the darn thing and it worked then.

Bottom line is our samba member machines didn't change but "security
updates" to our PDC, master browser, etc. were done last week and that is
when the problems started.

Use of wbinfo is very erratic, most of the time the users and groups list
won't pull down. The -m option doesn't report the primary domain we belong
to, etc. After a service restart or a machine reboot nobody can access the
shares then after some magical period of time (an hour) you check and then
you can access them but sometimes you can't. Usually I restart winbind and
wait then I can sometimes get into the shares after the second attempt.

Re: wbinfo can not convert User names and Group name to S ID

Gerald Carter-4

RE: wbinfo can not convert User names and Group name to S ID

Bugzilla from kevin.wilson@comtrol.com
Nah, we haven't updated our samba installations because they are production
servers and we have no confirmation that the latest and greatest will fix
the problem.

In a nutshell we get the following:

a power down or service restart doesn't automatically reacquire the domain
membership.

you cannot use the join syntax using PDC I outlined before, you must specify
the DC to use.

wbinfo -u & -g will immediately following joining the domain.

getent passwd & group usually works if the above does but I have a working
server with lists that were updated when the getent commands didn't pull the
lists properly...go figure?

wbinfo -m doesn't report the primary domain even though you just joined it.

wbinfo -t fails intermittently.

initially you can't access the shares then sometimes (after a 1/2 hour or
so) you can but not always.