Question on samba 4.4 as ads pdc

Samba - General mailing list
Hi, If I setup a samba 4.4 server as ads/pdc would that imply on the new
server one does not have shares. One would install other samba 4.4
servers running shares and have those samba server joine the ads/pdc server?

Thanks.

Re: Question on samba 4.4 as ads pdc

Samba - General mailing list
On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 12:37:05 -0400
"samba.x.eliezer613--- via samba" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, If I setup a samba 4.4 server as ads/pdc would that imply on the
> new server one does not have shares. One would install other samba
> 4.4 servers running shares and have those samba server joine the
> ads/pdc server?
>
> Thanks.

I think you mean AD DC instead of 'ads/pdc'. Please do not refer to a
DC as a PDC, a PDC is something completely different and can lead to
confusion.

The Samba recommendation is to run at least one AD DC and a Unix domain
member as a fileserver. It is better to run more than one DC and
multiple fileservers.

If you only have a small number of clients, you may get away with
running one DC as a fileserver, but this gives you just one point of
potential failure.

Am 07.09.2017 um 18:37 schrieb samba.x.eliezer613--- via samba:
> Hi, If I setup a samba 4.4 server as ads/pdc would that imply on the new
> server one does not have shares. One would install other samba 4.4
> servers running shares and have those samba server joine the ads/pdc
> server?

1.) Do not install Samba 4.4! In a few days we will release Samba 4.7
and then 4.4 is end of life. Install 4.6.7 or wait a few days and
directly install 4.7.0.

2.) Are you talking about AD or PDC. The latter exist only in NT4 domains.

3.) Sorry, but I do not understand your question. From what I guess, you
are asking if you can set up file shares on an AD DC or NT4 PDC, or if
you should better install additionally a domain member server that acts
as file server. In case of AD we recommend to install separate file
servers and not using DCs as for this job.

If this was not your question, please describe more clearly your
environment and what you are planning to do.

Regards,
Marc