Public file share Samba 4.6.5

Samba - General mailing list
I am trying to configure a public file share on \\fs1\vol1

 From a Windows 7 command prompt, I enter: dir \\fs1\vol1
Windows says: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Where am I going wrong?

Error log says: " SPNEGO login failed: NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER" - that
must have something to do with this, but I thought that was the point of
"map to guest = Bad User"

My smb.conf:
[global]
         netbios name = FS1
         realm = KATY.LAN
         workgroup = KATY
         log level = 5
         log file = /var/log/samba.log.%m
         max log size = 50
         dns forwarder = 192.168.35.13
         idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
         template shell = /bin/bash
         template homedir = /home/%U
         map to guest = Bad User

[netlogon]
         path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/katy.lan/scripts
         read only = No

[sysvol]
         read only = No

[vol1]
         browseable = yes
         path = /home/smb/vol1
         guest ok = yes
         guest only = yes
         read only = no
         create mask = 777

--
John Schmerold
Katy Computer Systems, Inc

Re: Public file share Samba 4.6.5

Samba - General mailing list
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 06:50:42 -0500
John Schmerold via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying to configure a public file share on \\fs1\vol1
>
>  From a Windows 7 command prompt, I enter: dir \\fs1\vol1
> Windows says: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
>
> Where am I going wrong?
>
> Error log says: " SPNEGO login failed: NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER" - that
> must have something to do with this, but I thought that was the point
> of "map to guest = Bad User"
>
> My smb.conf:
> [global]
>          netbios name = FS1
>          realm = KATY.LAN
>          workgroup = KATY
>          log level = 5
>          log file = /var/log/samba.log.%m
>          max log size = 50
>          dns forwarder = 192.168.35.13
>          server role = active directory domain controller
>          idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>          template shell = /bin/bash
>          template homedir = /home/%U
>          map to guest = Bad User
>
> [netlogon]
>          path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/katy.lan/scripts
>          read only = No
>
> [sysvol]
>          path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol
>          read only = No
>
> [vol1]
>          browseable = yes
>          path = /home/smb/vol1
>          guest ok = yes
>          guest only = yes
>          read only = no
>          create mask = 777

Your problem is that you are trying to do this on an AD DC, you cannot
use POSIX ACLs on a DC, you can only use Windows ACLS.

I am also struggling why you have named your DC 'FS1' (which I presume
is short for fileserver1) instead of DC1

Re: Public file share Samba 4.6.5

> On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 06:50:42 -0500
> John Schmerold via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to configure a public file share on \\fs1\vol1
>>
>>   From a Windows 7 command prompt, I enter: dir \\fs1\vol1
>> Windows says: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
>>
>> Where am I going wrong?
>>
>> Error log says: " SPNEGO login failed: NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER" - that
>> must have something to do with this, but I thought that was the point
>> of "map to guest = Bad User"
>>
>> My smb.conf:
>> [global]
>>           netbios name = FS1
>>           realm = KATY.LAN
>>           workgroup = KATY
>>           log level = 5
>>           log file = /var/log/samba.log.%m
>>           max log size = 50
>>           dns forwarder = 192.168.35.13
>>           server role = active directory domain controller
>>           idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>>           template shell = /bin/bash
>>           template homedir = /home/%U
>>           map to guest = Bad User
>>
>> [netlogon]
>>           path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/katy.lan/scripts
>>           read only = No
>>
>> [sysvol]
>>           path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol
>>           read only = No
>>
>> [vol1]
>>           browseable = yes
>>           path = /home/smb/vol1
>>           guest ok = yes
>>           guest only = yes
>>           read only = no
>>           create mask = 777
>>
> Your problem is that you are trying to do this on an AD DC, you cannot
> use POSIX ACLs on a DC, you can only use Windows ACLS.
>
> I am also struggling why you have named your DC 'FS1' (which I presume
> is short for fileserver1) instead of DC1
>
> Rowland

This is just a test / scratch server I use for computer setups and
testing to learn what does & does not work.

Thanks for helping with my learning process.

Of course you are right, this is in a VMware box, so I can and should
create a DC1, then see about following
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member to
get fs1 to work within our test environment.

Thanks again.