Process monitor suggestion.

Samba - linux mailing list
I have knock up a little script that uses grep and ps to search for specific processes then indicate if the process is present in a terminal. I was looking for a GUI tool which would do the same graphically.

I was hoping that gkrellm might be able to do this as I have been a fan for a long time, but unfortunately the fedora 25 instance doesn't have anything appropriate.

If anyone has a suggestion on a small GUI tool that would do the same I would be appreciative.

Randall.

---
Randall Crook
Sent from my PDP11

Re: Process monitor suggestion.

Samba - linux mailing list
Perhaps add zenity to your script. It has various display options.

Brenton

On Thu, 2017-05-11 at 08:08 +1000, Randall Crook via linux wrote:

> I have knock up a little script that uses grep and ps to search for
> specific processes then indicate if the process is present in a
> terminal. I was looking for a GUI tool which would do the same
> graphically.
>
> I was hoping that gkrellm might be able to do this as I have been a fan
> for a long time, but unfortunately the fedora 25 instance doesn't have
> anything appropriate.
>
> If anyone has a suggestion on a small GUI tool that would do the same I
> would be appreciative.
>
> Randall.
>
> ---
> Randall Crook
> Sent from my PDP11

Re: Process monitor suggestion.

Samba - linux mailing list
> I have knock up a little script that uses grep and ps to search for specific processes then indicate if the process is present in a terminal. I was looking for a GUI tool which would do the same graphically.
>
> I was hoping that gkrellm might be able to do this as I have been a fan for a long time, but unfortunately the fedora 25 instance doesn't have anything appropriate.
>
> If anyone has a suggestion on a small GUI tool that would do the same I would be appreciative.
>
> Randall.

I am not completely sure what outcome you are after here:
a) A graphical tool that will tell you which specific processes are running.
b) A way to graphically determine which terminal a specific process is running in.

If it is b) then I have traditionally solved that problem with a simple script
called title http://www.dd.id.au/scripts/title

Use it like this:

ps -ef | fgrep 'whatever'

* cut the controlling terminal from the listing

title "    Here it IS idiot !!!  "  > /dev/{paste controlling terminal}

This then changes the title of the terminal window so I can find it in the window list.

Because I often use it to find what window I was editing a file in with vim.  I also
wrote a small script that would use ps and awk to label all the terminals of all the
vim instances with their vim command line.  I will try to find that tonight.

Dave !

------------------cut----------------------
#!/bin/sh

echo -ne "\033]0;"
echo -ne "$@"
echo -ne "\007"

Re: Process monitor suggestion.

Samba - linux mailing list
At the moment the script monitors some ssh processes to let me know they are there and the connection the represent is up. The script simply uses clear and echo to tell me the connection is at a superficial level is there.

I'm looking to pretty up the whole affair with perhaps a little widow some where on screen with some form of indication that the connections are behaving. And if one of the connections drops I can do what's needed to restore it.

---
Randall Crook
Sent from my PDP11

On 11 May 2017, at 1:26 pm, David Deaves <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I have knock up a little script that uses grep and ps to search for specific processes then indicate if the process is present in a terminal. I was looking for a GUI tool which would do the same graphically.
>>
>> I was hoping that gkrellm might be able to do this as I have been a fan for a long time, but unfortunately the fedora 25 instance doesn't have anything appropriate.
>>
>> If anyone has a suggestion on a small GUI tool that would do the same I would be appreciative.
>>
>> Randall.
>
> I am not completely sure what outcome you are after here:
> a) A graphical tool that will tell you which specific processes are running.
> b) A way to graphically determine which terminal a specific process is running in.
>
> If it is b) then I have traditionally solved that problem with a simple script
> called title http://www.dd.id.au/scripts/title
>
> Use it like this:
>
> ps -ef | fgrep 'whatever'
>
> * cut the controlling terminal from the listing
>
> title "    Here it IS idiot !!!  "  > /dev/{paste controlling terminal}
>

> This then changes the title of the terminal window so I can find it in the window list.
>
> Because I often use it to find what window I was editing a file in with vim.  I also
> wrote a small script that would use ps and awk to label all the terminals of all the
> vim instances with their vim command line.  I will try to find that tonight.
>
> Dave !

Re: Process monitor suggestion.

Samba - linux mailing list
Is this a job for supervisor? Or is that overkill..?

On 11/05/17 14:32, Randall Crook via linux wrote:
> At the moment the script monitors some ssh processes to let me know they are there and the connection the represent is up. The script simply uses clear and echo to tell me the connection is at a superficial level is there.

What about this alternative:

    konsole -e "watch -d -n 10 \"ps -ef | grep ssh | grep -v grep\" "

Brett

--