Problem getting Samba 3.0.14a to join NT domain as BDC

Problem getting Samba 3.0.14a to join NT domain as BDC

Richard Heggs
Hi list,

This is driving me to distraction.

I have installed the 3.0.14a RPMS on SLES8, and am following chapter 9 of the
'By Example' documentation, to migrate from an NT domain to a Samba domain
backed by LDAP.

I have followed the instructions up to the point where I enter:
net rpc join -S pdc_it -U Administrator%password

Unfortunately, this responds with:
Creation of workstation account failed
Unable to join domain NCC-INTERNET.

I can ping the PDC from the BDC-in-waiting, and vice versa.
'net rpc info -S pdc_it' returns
Domain Name: NCC-INTERNET
Domain SID: S-1-5-21-1715208214-1745711169-1221738049
Sequence number: 43615
Num users: 3052
Num domain groups: 13
Num local groups: 5

'net getlocalsid' returns
SID for domain LINUX1 is: S-1-5-21-1715208214-1745711169-1221738049

Also, I've had a look at the event log of the PDC, and I see this error:
The session setup from the computer LINUX1 failed because there is no trust
account in the security database for this computer. The name of the account
referenced in the security database is LINUX1$.

The server manager doesn't list either LINUX1 or LINUX1$.  I've tried
repeating the whole process, but first adding a BDC account to the domain
manually, but I get the same result.

I'm at a loss what to do... any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
--
Richard Heggs
Systems Analyst

This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses and Content
and cleared by NetIQ MailMarshal.

views which are not the views of Nottingham City Council unless specifically
stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system,
do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance
on it and notify the sender immediately. Please note that Nottingham City
Council monitors e-mails sent or received. Further communication will
signify your consent to this.

Re: Problem getting Samba 3.0.14a to join NT domain as BDC

John H Terpstra - Samba Team
Richard,

Please  send me your smb.conf file (off-line) to <[hidden email]>.

- John T.

Samba-Team Member
Phone: +1 (650) 580-8668

Author: