Prequel project (Branchcache, PeerDist and associated protocols)

Prequel project (Branchcache, PeerDist and associated protocols)

The Prequel project page points to a defunct link to fedorahosted.org
which has now been retired. I was wondering if I could get the source
code for the project to understand this space a bit better. If anyone
could enlighten me on what current state of the project is, that would
be helpful. I'm most interested in the distributed cache mode
functionality with existing Windows clients.

The original link was (linked from http://www.ubiqx.org/proj/Prequel/
<https://fedorahosted.org/prequel/>):

https://fedorahosted.org/prequel/

<https://fedorahosted.org/prequel/>

Cheers,

Garming

Re: Prequel project (Branchcache, PeerDist and associated protocols)

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
On ti, 22 elo 2017, Garming Sam via samba-technical wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Prequel project page points to a defunct link to fedorahosted.org which
> has now been retired. I was wondering if I could get the source code for the
> project to understand this space a bit better. If anyone could enlighten me
> on what current state of the project is, that would be helpful. I'm most
> interested in the distributed cache mode functionality with existing Windows
> clients.
>
> The original link was (linked from http://www.ubiqx.org/proj/Prequel/
> <https://fedorahosted.org/prequel/>):
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/prequel/
I'd check with Fedora Infra folks at #fedora-admin. I asked already,
I hope they have archives.

/ Alexander Bokovoy

Am 22.08.2017 um 08:30 schrieb Alexander Bokovoy via samba-technical:

> On ti, 22 elo 2017, Garming Sam via samba-technical wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The Prequel project page points to a defunct link to fedorahosted.org which
>> has now been retired. I was wondering if I could get the source code for the
>> project to understand this space a bit better. If anyone could enlighten me
>> on what current state of the project is, that would be helpful. I'm most
>> interested in the distributed cache mode functionality with existing Windows
>> clients.
>>
>> The original link was (linked from http://www.ubiqx.org/proj/Prequel/
>> <https://fedorahosted.org/prequel/>):
>>
>> https://fedorahosted.org/prequel/
> I'd check with Fedora Infra folks at #fedora-admin. I asked already,
> I hope they have archives.
I have a copy with top commit:

commit eb89ddcd76aaffac1d7b5b735feff11fca6b44dc
Author:     Christopher R. Hertel <[hidden email]>
AuthorDate: Mon Sep 29 21:55:21 2014 -0500
Commit:     Christopher R. Hertel <[hidden email]>
CommitDate: Mon Sep 29 21:55:21 2014 -0500

    Gstr, PD_utils: Updated comments.

If nobody is faster, I can upload it on git.samba.org in a few days.

metze

I opened an issue against Fedora Infra: https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/6277

/ Alexander Bokovoy

On ti, 22 elo 2017, Alexander Bokovoy via samba-technical wrote:

> On ti, 22 elo 2017, Stefan Metzmacher wrote:

> > > I'd check with Fedora Infra folks at #fedora-admin. I asked already,
> > > I hope they have archives.
> >
> > I have a copy with top commit:
> >
> > commit eb89ddcd76aaffac1d7b5b735feff11fca6b44dc
> > Author:     Christopher R. Hertel <[hidden email]>
> > AuthorDate: Mon Sep 29 21:55:21 2014 -0500
> > Commit:     Christopher R. Hertel <[hidden email]>
> > CommitDate: Mon Sep 29 21:55:21 2014 -0500
> >
> >     Gstr, PD_utils: Updated comments.
> >
> > If nobody is faster, I can upload it on git.samba.org in a few days.
> >
> I opened an issue against Fedora Infra: https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/6277
A tarball of a git repo for prequel is attached to the ticket.

/ Alexander Bokovoy

On 2017-08-22 03:27, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:

> On ti, 22 elo 2017, Alexander Bokovoy via samba-technical wrote:

>> > I have a copy with top commit:
>> >
>> > commit eb89ddcd76aaffac1d7b5b735feff11fca6b44dc
>> > Author:     Christopher R. Hertel <[hidden email]>
>> > AuthorDate: Mon Sep 29 21:55:21 2014 -0500
>> > Commit:     Christopher R. Hertel <[hidden email]>
>> > CommitDate: Mon Sep 29 21:55:21 2014 -0500
>> >
>> >     Gstr, PD_utils: Updated comments.
>> >
>> > If nobody is faster, I can upload it on git.samba.org in a few days.
>> >
>> I opened an issue against Fedora Infra:
>> https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/6277
> A tarball of a git repo for prequel is attached to the ticket.

I also just uploaded my copy of the repo here:

https://git.samba.org/?p=jarrpa/prequel.git

--Jose

Re: Prequel project (Branchcache, PeerDist and associated protocols)

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
Garming,

I apologize for the disarray of the Prequel project.  There was very little
interest in it beyond myself and José.  When I left Red Hat, I kind of left
the project behind and moved on to other things.

I have a more up-to-date tree in my home repository and have (for 2.5 years
now) been meaning to move it to GitLab or GitHub or something.  Once I fix a
couple more bugs, that is.

Let me know the level of your interest, I would be quite happy to pick this
up again.

Chris -)-----

On 08/22/2017 09:41 AM, José A. Rivera via samba-technical wrote:

> On 2017-08-22 03:27, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:

>>> fedorahosted.org which
>>> for the
>>> enlighten me
>>> most
>>> Windows

>>> I opened an issue against Fedora Infra:
>>> https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/6277
>> A tarball of a git repo for prequel is attached to the ticket.
>
> I also just uploaded my copy of the repo here:
>
> https://git.samba.org/?p=jarrpa/prequel.git
>
> --Jose

Re: Prequel project (Branchcache, PeerDist and associated protocols)

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
On Tue, 2017-08-22 at 10:33 -0500, Christopher R. Hertel via samba-
technical wrote:
> Garming,
>
> I apologize for the disarray of the Prequel project.  There was very little
> interest in it beyond myself and José.  When I left Red Hat, I kind of left
> the project behind and moved on to other things.
>
> I have a more up-to-date tree in my home repository and have (for 2.5 years
> now) been meaning to move it to GitLab or GitHub or something.  Once I fix a
> couple more bugs, that is.

If you could push that out publicly, that would be very helpful.
Ideally before you fix more bugs, just because we all know how life
gets between us and our good intentions :-)

> Let me know the level of your interest, I would be quite happy to pick this
> up again.

We at Catalyst have some interest from clients in this technology for
WAN acceleration of SMB3, and have been asked to evaluate the state of
play.

Do you have any pointers on the touch points with SMB?  Presumably the
clients have to interact with the file server to coordinate or find the
initial chunks somehow?

Re: Prequel project (Branchcache, PeerDist and associated protocols)

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
Mr. Bartlett-sir-person,

Hi.

José has published his most recent copy of the GIT repository for Prequel,
which I hope will help.  I also have some notes posted here:
http://www.ubiqx.org/proj/Prequel/

Your concerns about publishing that code "before you fix bugs" are quite
rational.  I'm going to be out of town for a few days and other pressures
mean I won't get to even looking at the code until I'm back, so I'm glad
José beat me to it.

:)

Chris -)-----

On Wed, 2017-08-23 at 09:45 -0500, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> Mr. Bartlett-sir-person,
>
> Hi.
>
> José has published his most recent copy of the GIT repository for
> Prequel,
> which I hope will help.  I also have some notes posted here:
> http://www.ubiqx.org/proj/Prequel/
>
> Your concerns about publishing that code "before you fix bugs" are
> quite
> rational.  I'm going to be out of town for a few days and other
> pressures
> mean I won't get to even looking at the code until I'm back, so I'm
> glad
> José beat me to it.
>
> :)
>
> Chris -)-----

Just checking to see if you can push your last working tree, or is it
just the same as what José pushed?

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team         https://samba.org
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Re: Prequel project (Branchcache, PeerDist and associated protocols)

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
Andrew,

It should be the same as the one that José pushed, but I have been slowly
doing a bit of cleanup on some of the parts and pieces and pushing them
here:  https://gitlab.com/crh/Prequel

I had some code I was working on (a sample Peerdist V1 daemon) that I hope I
can push soon as well, but my plate is full at the moment.

Anyway, I hope you can make use of the docs provided in the code.  You know
me... I document stuff.

:-)

Chridz -)-----

On 09/27/2017 04:19 PM, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-08-23 at 09:45 -0500, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
>> Mr. Bartlett-sir-person,
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> José has published his most recent copy of the GIT repository for
>> Prequel,
>> which I hope will help.  I also have some notes posted here:
>> http://www.ubiqx.org/proj/Prequel/
>>
>> Your concerns about publishing that code "before you fix bugs" are
>> quite
>> rational.  I'm going to be out of town for a few days and other
>> pressures
>> mean I won't get to even looking at the code until I'm back, so I'm
>> glad
>> José beat me to it.
>>
>> :)
>>
>> Chris -)-----
>
> Just checking to see if you can push your last working tree, or is it
> just the same as what José pushed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Re: Prequel project (Branchcache, PeerDist and associated protocols)

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
This may also be of interest:

  https://searchcode.com/file/126451472/src/include/ipxe/pccrc.h

That website points back to the actual project site, but the URL I've
provided goes directly to some interesting code.

Chris -)-----

On 09/27/2017 04:28 PM, Christopher R. Hertel via samba-technical wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> It should be the same as the one that José pushed, but I have been slowly
> doing a bit of cleanup on some of the parts and pieces and pushing them
> here:  https://gitlab.com/crh/Prequel
>
> I had some code I was working on (a sample Peerdist V1 daemon) that I hope I
> can push soon as well, but my plate is full at the moment.
>
> Anyway, I hope you can make use of the docs provided in the code.  You know
> me... I document stuff.
>
> :-)
>
> Chridz -)-----
>
> On 09/27/2017 04:19 PM, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical wrote:
>> On Wed, 2017-08-23 at 09:45 -0500, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
>>> Mr. Bartlett-sir-person,
>>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> José has published his most recent copy of the GIT repository for
>>> Prequel,
>>> which I hope will help.  I also have some notes posted here:
>>> http://www.ubiqx.org/proj/Prequel/
>>>
>>> Your concerns about publishing that code "before you fix bugs" are
>>> quite
>>> rational.  I'm going to be out of town for a few days and other
>>> pressures
>>> mean I won't get to even looking at the code until I'm back, so I'm
>>> glad
>>> José beat me to it.
>>>
>>> :)
>>>
>>> Chris -)-----
>>
>> Just checking to see if you can push your last working tree, or is it
>> just the same as what José pushed?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andrew Bartlett

Re: Prequel project (Branchcache, PeerDist and associated protocols)

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
One more note...

See: http://dox.ipxe.org/files.html
...and just search for "peer" or "pcc".  There are several files relating to
Peerdist.

Chris -)-----

On 09/27/2017 07:38 PM, Christopher R. Hertel via samba-technical wrote:

> This may also be of interest:
>
>   https://searchcode.com/file/126451472/src/include/ipxe/pccrc.h
>
> That website points back to the actual project site, but the URL I've
> provided goes directly to some interesting code.
>
> Chris -)-----
>
> On 09/27/2017 04:28 PM, Christopher R. Hertel via samba-technical wrote:
>> Andrew,
>>
>> It should be the same as the one that José pushed, but I have been slowly
>> doing a bit of cleanup on some of the parts and pieces and pushing them
>> here:  https://gitlab.com/crh/Prequel
>>
>> I had some code I was working on (a sample Peerdist V1 daemon) that I hope I
>> can push soon as well, but my plate is full at the moment.
>>
>> Anyway, I hope you can make use of the docs provided in the code.  You know
>> me... I document stuff.
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Chridz -)-----

>>> Just checking to see if you can push your last working tree, or is it
>>> just the same as what José pushed?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Andrew Bartlett

Re: Prequel project (Branchcache, PeerDist and associated protocols)

Was the FSCTL_SRV_READ_HASH ioctl ever actually implemented anywhere?
I've just been compiling and messing around with some of the code, and
it seemed like an important part for actually seeing how it all worked.

Cheers,

Garming

On 28/09/17 14:51, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> One more note...
>
> See: http://dox.ipxe.org/files.html
> ...and just search for "peer" or "pcc".  There are several files relating to
> Peerdist.
>
> Chris -)-----
>
> On 09/27/2017 07:38 PM, Christopher R. Hertel via samba-technical wrote:
>> This may also be of interest:
>>
>>    https://searchcode.com/file/126451472/src/include/ipxe/pccrc.h
>>
>> That website points back to the actual project site, but the URL I've
>> provided goes directly to some interesting code.
>>
>> Chris -)-----
>>
>> On 09/27/2017 04:28 PM, Christopher R. Hertel via samba-technical wrote:
>>> Andrew,
>>>
>>> It should be the same as the one that José pushed, but I have been slowly
>>> doing a bit of cleanup on some of the parts and pieces and pushing them
>>> here:  https://gitlab.com/crh/Prequel
>>>
>>> I had some code I was working on (a sample Peerdist V1 daemon) that I hope I
>>> can push soon as well, but my plate is full at the moment.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I hope you can make use of the docs provided in the code.  You know
>>> me... I document stuff.
>>>
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Chridz -)-----

Re: Prequel project (Branchcache, PeerDist and associated protocols)

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
Garming,

I did all of my testing using HTTP.  I wrote a small piece of code that will
request the fingerprints rather than the content, and will output the
Content Information to a file.  I can get you a copy of that tool if you
would like it.

Implementing that ioctl makes sense once you have the hashes to read, and
the code José and I provided *should* have everything you need to generate
those hashes.

...but let me know if you need something more.

Chris -)-----