PC graphics trashed

Samba - linux mailing list
Fortunately I had just backed-up.

The presenting problem is horizontal coloured trash across the screen
during boot. I think because of intractable problems, that the hard disk
may  be corrupt. I do have commandline access. What tests may I perform
from there?

--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/

Re: PC graphics trashed

Samba - linux mailing list
Bryan,

What brand and model graphics card does your computer use?

X11 has changed its way of managing its configuration, and I am not
completely familiar with this new way.

if you do a "ls -al /etc/X11", I wonder if you see a configuration
file?  If I am using a Nvidia card and using Nvidia's proprietary
drivers, then there often is a configuration file, and at times I
delete this file and then reboot, or run nvidia-xconfig to create a
new nvidia configuration file.

I am not familiar with Radeon configuration.

X11 does not appear to require a configuration file if you are using
Intel video supported in the Intel CPU.

It is also quite possible that the problem you are experiencing has
nothing to do with X11 configuration, like a faulty video card, or
your monitor lead not connected correctly, but in most of my problems
with X11, it has been because of my changing the X11 configuration or
installing other X11 software.

Regards,

George.

On Sunday, 29-10-2017 at 04:35 Bryan Kilgallin via linux wrote:

Fortunately I had just backed-up.

The presenting problem is horizontal coloured trash across the screen
during boot. I think because of intractable problems, that the hard
disk
may  be corrupt. I do have commandline access. What tests may I
perform
from there?

--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/

Re: PC graphics trashed

Samba - linux mailing list
Thanks, George:

I have reassembled the tower-PC system. Currently it's displaying the
horizontally-stripy error across the Ubuntu booting text. I switched off
the tower-PC. And saw on the monitor indecipherable text, obliterated by
intermittent horizontal stripes!

I start-up again, F9 diagnostics. A keyboard=happy-man boot logo is
displayed. Then there was a brief error message. And I have the
horizontal stripes across "ubuntu"!

I restart, an old recovery mode. Text messages are readable. I choose
"clean". That's OK, then dpkg. I can read messages. I want to upgrade.
Which is aborted temporary failure resolving 'au.archive.ubuntu.com'. So
I try "failsafeX": Run in failsafe graphic mode. I get a simple window
"The system is running in low-graphics mode; your screen, graphics card,
and input device settings could not be detected correctly. You will need
to configure these yourself." I'm stuck in a loop: "How would you like
to reconfigure your display? (*) Use default (generic) configuration; ()
Use your backed-up configuration". I cancel out of that. Next I select
"(*) Troubleshoot the error". "What information would you like to
review?" appears. I select the default "Review the xserver log file".
Unfortunately I do not understand the long report! Next I select "(*)
Review the startup errors". Which screen is blank! Next I check "Edit
configuration file". Which seems disallowed. So I select "Cancel".
Lastly I select "(*) Exit to console login".
Then a lot of "stopped" reports.
[OK] Stopped target Sound Card.
[OK] Stopped Stop ureadahead data collection 45s after completed startup.
[OK] Stopped IIO Sensor Proxy service.
[OK] Closed Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status /dev/rfkill Watch.
[OK] Stopped target Graphical Interface.
[OK] Stopped Accounts Service.
[OK] Stopped target User and Group Name Lookups.
[OK] Stopped Light Display Manager.
[OK] Stopped Detect the available GPUs and deal with any system changes.
[OK] Started Braille Device Support.
Then the underscore-prompt flashes, but there's no response to keyboard
or mouse.

--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/

Re: PC graphics trashed

Samba - linux mailing list
OK, George:

I have booted to the recovery mode of an old Ubuntu version.

> What brand and model graphics card does your computer use?

I am searching the Web via my laptop, for commands....
I find {
Open up "Terminal", and type: |lspci | grep VGA
|}
https://askubuntu.com/questions/72766/how-do-i-find-out-the-model-of-my-graphics-card#72774
Unfortunately there is a mismatch between my US keyboard and the
software's expected UK! So shift-\ produces `~' instead of `|'.
But I found a "pipe" command, and am trying that.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand this!
I seem to have managed to get that character thus.
{Some keyboard drivers map the broken bar key to the vertical bar, and
the vertical bar key, shared with the grave accent (`), generates the
broken bar when pressed in combination with AltGr
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key>.}
OK, the answer to your question seems as follows.
"01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G86 [GeForce 8400
GS] (rev a1)"

> if you do a "ls -al /etc/X11", I wonder if you see a configuration file?

I see the following.
{
-rw-r--r--   1 root root   269 Nov  5 18:44 xorg.conf.failsafe
}
and...
{
-rw-r--r--   1 root root   630 Aug  1 21:28 Xwrapper.config
}

> If I am using a Nvidia card and using Nvidia's proprietary drivers,
> then there often is a configuration file, and at times I delete this
> file and then reboot,

Please advise how to recognise that.

> or run nvidia-xconfig to create a new nvidia configuration file.

I could not find "nvidia-xconfig". The closest I could find was
"nouveau", "NVIDIA video driver".

> X11 does not appear to require a configuration file if you are using
> Intel video supported in the Intel CPU.

I recall three boot options: PCI; onboard; and PCI-E. None of which
choices seemed to work!

> It is also quite possible that the problem you are experiencing has
> nothing to do with X11 configuration, like a faulty video card, or
> your monitor lead not connected correctly, but in most of my problems
> with X11, it has been because of my changing the X11 configuration or
> installing other X11 software.

I replaced the dead backup 2032 battery. And I took out and replaced the
graphics card in its motherboard slot.

--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/

Re: PC graphics trashed

Samba - linux mailing list
Dear George:

> It is also quite possible that the problem you are experiencing has
> nothing to do with X11 configuration, like a faulty video card, or your
> monitor lead not connected correctly, but in most of my problems with
> X11, it has been because of my changing the X11 configuration or
> installing other X11 software.

As advised at the following site, I did "Xorg -configure".
https://www.wikihow.com/Configure-X11-in-Linux
That resulted in many errors.
{
(EE)
Fatal server error:
(EE) Could not create lock file in /tmp/.tx0-lock
(EE)
(EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
          at http://wiki.x.org
  for help.
(EE)
Unable to open universal variable file '': No such file or directory
Unable to open universal variable file '': No such file or directory
}
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/

Re: PC graphics trashed

Samba - linux mailing list
G'day George:

> It is also quite possible that the problem you are experiencing has
> nothing to do with X11 configuration, like a faulty video card, or your
> monitor lead not connected correctly, but in most of my problems with
> X11, it has been because of my changing the X11 configuration or
> installing other X11 software.

I had previously updated the operating system. From a low-graphics
recovery mode.

On boot-up, I choose F11 Recovery, then Ubuntu advanced, selecting
generic recovery mode. This gets me to a recovery menu.
And I just chose fsck.

Then I tried updating the grub bootloader.

I select "system summary". Which shows sda1.

Then I select "root", to "Drop to root shell prompt".
And I try "lsblk". That's odd: swap is "CDsda5". When I run "lsblk"
again, I see the name "CDsda2".

I continue with failsafe graphics mode. Unfortunately all I now see is
an `X' cursor on a black screen!

--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/

Re: PC graphics trashed

Samba - linux mailing list
Thanks again George:

> It is also quite possible that the problem you are experiencing has
> nothing to do with X11 configuration, like a faulty video card, or your
> monitor lead not connected correctly, but in most of my problems with
> X11, it has been because of my changing the X11 configuration or
> installing other X11 software.

Eyal kindly removed the defective video card. Reconfiguring video from
the motherboard's on-board VGA. Working fine now.

--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/

Re: PC graphics trashed

Samba - linux mailing list
that's good news Bryan. Thanks go to Eyal for solving the issue.

Thanks again George: