Of topic: does anyone have access to a 3D scanner and printer?

Of topic: does anyone have access to a 3D scanner and printer?

Samba - linux mailing list
Hi,

I sent the email below to CLUG but it didn't make it. Maybe it was because it was too off topic or maybe because of the attachment. Anyway, I'm resending it in case it was the latter.

Thanks in advance for any helpful reply.

John

Hi all,

Sorry for off topic but I feel that if anyone in Canberra has access to, or knows of, a 3D scanner and 3D printer, then it's likely to be someone on this list.

I have an automatic, chook hatch on my chicken coup which has been bespoke made for a particular vehicle, automatic, car aerial. At dusk the aerial closes the hatch and at dawn it opens the hatch.

Unfortunately, it got caught on some rough edges (which I have now removed) but in the process of trying to close, it stripped a nylon gear. It was difficult to get the aerial a couple of years ago so I thought it might be quicker, and therefore safer for my chooks from fox attack, for me to get that part 3D printed. Hence my off topic request. Alternatively, I have to try and find the same aerial or rebuild another chook, hatch system to suit a new aerial and that leaves my chooks open to fox attack for longer.

Any information regarding access to a 3D scanner and 3D printer would be greatly appreciated.

John.

Re: Of topic: does anyone have access to a 3D scanner and printer?

Samba - linux mailing list

On 19/03/17 13:20, jhock--- via linux wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I sent the email below to CLUG but it didn't make it. Maybe it was because it was too off topic or maybe because of the attachment. Anyway, I'm resending it in case it was the latter.
>
> Thanks in advance for any helpful reply.
>
> John
>

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for off topic but I feel that if anyone in Canberra has access to, or knows of, a 3D scanner and 3D printer, then it's likely to be someone on this list.
>
> I have an automatic, chook hatch on my chicken coup which has been bespoke made for a particular vehicle, automatic, car aerial. At dusk the aerial closes the hatch and at dawn it opens the hatch.
>
> Unfortunately, it got caught on some rough edges (which I have now removed) but in the process of trying to close, it stripped a nylon gear. It was difficult to get the aerial a couple of years ago so I thought it might be quicker, and therefore safer for my chooks from fox attack, for me to get that part 3D printed. Hence my off topic request. Alternatively, I have to try and find the same aerial or rebuild another chook, hatch system to suit a new aerial and that leaves my chooks open to fox attack for longer.
>
> Any information regarding access to a 3D scanner and 3D printer would be greatly appreciated.
>
> John.

For a low-tech gear that operates only twice daily, an approximation
might suffice, if it does not have too many teeth.  I have cut a metal,
coarse, spur gear for a household device by rough cutting with an angle
grinder followed by some painstaking filing & grinding with a mini-tool.

You can purchase small offcuts of Engineering grade plastics, for a few
dollars, from Specialty Fastners in Fyshwick.

Photographing & scaling the image would probably be sufficient, in lieu
profiling, in this approach.

Rod

Re: Of topic: does anyone have access to a 3D scanner and printer?

Samba - linux mailing list
Hi John

Even though I have a 3D printer, I've solved this for friends by taking
a cast of the gear to make a mold, making a cast of the two gears,
cuting the affected section out of one gear, tracing and cutting a good
piece out of the other gear, making a mold of the new hybrid gear, and
then making a cast of that new, franken-gear with a two-part casting
epoxy-style mix.

So far, their gears have run for several years, but I've been able to
cast them several spares in that time without too much extra work.

let me know if you're interested in giving this a try

regards

--
Stephen Walsh: Today included that moment where someone said "Wait, you're *that* Steve Walsh? You are way calmer than the company doco makes you seem"
Gabriel Noronha: I always assumed there was a community service video in the staff induction about you...