Not enough storage space error

We are using Samba AD DC (Version 4.6.5) on CentOS 7.3. We have two
servers with BIND9 DNS and all are working just fine.

Today, when we attempted to move couple of users from one OU to another,
Windows RSAT reported /*"Windows cannot move object. Ther*//*e *//*is
not enough storage space*//*"*/. Our servers have 300 GB Storage more
that 270GB is free on the storage. At the moment we have added about
1000 users and about 450 computers into domain. Overall, we will add
about 7500 users and equal no of computers to domain. I also noticed
that RSAT lost the connection to domain all of a sudden. However, when I
restarted the samba-ad-dc service, it reconnected. I am able to add new
computers and new users into domain. But moving the user from one OU to
another is throwing above error.

I believe the DB is a 32 bit one and should support upto 4 GB. When I
checked in /usr/local/samba/private folder the size of smb.ldb file is
about 4.1 MB and rest of the ldb and tdb files are around 1 MB in size.

Now, how do I correctly check the current DB size? Is the above error a
strange behaviour? How do we fix the above error?

Thanks in advance.

--

Thanks & Regards,

Anantha Raghava

Re: Not enough storage space error

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Anantha,

Am 02.08.2017 um 17:39 schrieb Anantha Raghava via samba:

> Today, when we attempted to move couple of users from one OU to another,
> Windows RSAT reported /*"Windows cannot move object. Ther*//*e *//*is
> not enough storage space*//*"*/. Our servers have 300 GB Storage more
> that 270GB is free on the storage. At the moment we have added about
> 1000 users and about 450 computers into domain. Overall, we will add
> about 7500 users and equal no of computers to domain. I also noticed
> that RSAT lost the connection to domain all of a sudden. However, when I
> restarted the samba-ad-dc service, it reconnected. I am able to add new
> computers and new users into domain. But moving the user from one OU to
> another is throwing above error.
>
> I believe the DB is a 32 bit one and should support upto 4 GB. When I
> checked in /usr/local/samba/private folder the size of smb.ldb file is
> about 4.1 MB and rest of the ldb and tdb files are around 1 MB in size.

Just some thoughts and things you can check:

* Do you move only one or a few user objects or a large number at once?

* Does it happen also for other objects (computer accounts or groups)?

* Have you checked if there is maybe no free RAM left?

* Does it work after you restart Samba or reboot the host?

* I guess you already checked that the mount point, where your Samba
databases are located, is not full.

* Does "samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs" reports any errors? Run it on
all Samba DCs.

* Do you see any errors in the log when you try to move an AD entry?
Increase the log level, in case you don't see anything interesting:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configuring_Logging_on_a_Samba_Server

* Do you have multiple DCs? If yes, can you temporarily shut down Samba
on all DCs except one and connect ADUC to this one and retry. And then
do the same with an other DC. Just to make sure that it's not related to
one DC.

* Is this a new environment or is it an older AD that was more or less
frequently updated?

Regards,
Marc

On Wed, 2017-08-02 at 21:09 +0530, Anantha Raghava via samba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are using Samba AD DC (Version 4.6.5) on CentOS 7.3. We have two
> servers with BIND9 DNS and all are working just fine.
>
> Today, when we attempted to move couple of users from one OU to
> another,
> Windows RSAT reported /*"Windows cannot move object. Ther*//*e
> *//*is
> not enough storage space*//*"*/.

I wouldn't take the error string literally.  There are too many layers
of mapping going on.  LDAP does not contain such an error, so think of
it as a bad translation.

> Our servers have 300 GB Storage more
> that 270GB is free on the storage. At the moment we have added about
> 1000 users and about 450 computers into domain. Overall, we will add
> about 7500 users and equal no of computers to domain. I also noticed
> that RSAT lost the connection to domain all of a sudden. However,
> when I
> restarted the samba-ad-dc service, it reconnected. I am able to add
> new
> computers and new users into domain. But moving the user from one OU
> another is throwing above error.
>
> I believe the DB is a 32 bit one and should support upto 4 GB. When
> checked in /usr/local/samba/private folder the size of smb.ldb file
> is
> about 4.1 MB and rest of the ldb and tdb files are around 1 MB in
> size.
>
> Now, how do I correctly check the current DB size? Is the above error
> strange behaviour? How do we fix the above error?

Turn up the logging on the AD DC and see what the real error and error
string is.

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team         https://samba.org
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Re: Not enough storage space error

Samba - General mailing list
Hello Andrew,

 From the day one, we set the log level to 3. Log size is really huge.
However, I did not see some thing very interesting and related to this
error. It is all to do with user login, information, etc. Should I have
to increase the log level to get more info?

One thing we noticed. When we restart the samba-ad-dc service, it allows
us to add new users, add new computers to domain, and even move the user
from one OU to another. However, from last two days, at around evening
(around 4:45 PM), samba all of a sudden cuts off all users from domain
and even fails to list the domain controllers in RSAT. If we restart
samba-ad-dc, it starts working properly.

Now we need to see, what is that event that is causing this cut off all
of a sudden? Is it a shear coincidence? Or is it something to do with
the large number of PCs are now getting added from different places?
Incidentally, we use the same domain admin account (limited
administrator) to add PCs to domain. Is this causing some problem?

--

Thanks & Regards,

Anantha Raghava

On 03/08/17 8:09 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-08-02 at 21:09 +0530, Anantha Raghava via samba wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are using Samba AD DC (Version 4.6.5) on CentOS 7.3. We have two
>> servers with BIND9 DNS and all are working just fine.
>>
>> Today, when we attempted to move couple of users from one OU to
>> another,
>> Windows RSAT reported /*"Windows cannot move object. Ther*//*e
>> *//*is
>> not enough storage space*//*"*/.
> I wouldn't take the error string literally.  There are too many layers
> of mapping going on.  LDAP does not contain such an error, so think of
> it as a bad translation.
>
>> Our servers have 300 GB Storage more
>> that 270GB is free on the storage. At the moment we have added about
>> 1000 users and about 450 computers into domain. Overall, we will add
>> about 7500 users and equal no of computers to domain. I also noticed
>> that RSAT lost the connection to domain all of a sudden. However,
>> when I
>> restarted the samba-ad-dc service, it reconnected. I am able to add
>> new
>> computers and new users into domain. But moving the user from one OU
>> another is throwing above error.
>>
>> I believe the DB is a 32 bit one and should support upto 4 GB. When
>> checked in /usr/local/samba/private folder the size of smb.ldb file
>> is
>> about 4.1 MB and rest of the ldb and tdb files are around 1 MB in
>> size.
>>
>> Now, how do I correctly check the current DB size? Is the above error
>> strange behaviour? How do we fix the above error?
> Turn up the logging on the AD DC and see what the real error and error
> string is.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Re: Not enough storage space error

Hello Marc,

> Hi Anantha,
>
> Am 02.08.2017 um 17:39 schrieb Anantha Raghava via samba:
>> Today, when we attempted to move couple of users from one OU to another,
>> Windows RSAT reported /*"Windows cannot move object. Ther*//*e *//*is
>> not enough storage space*//*"*/. Our servers have 300 GB Storage more
>> that 270GB is free on the storage. At the moment we have added about
>> 1000 users and about 450 computers into domain. Overall, we will add
>> about 7500 users and equal no of computers to domain. I also noticed
>> that RSAT lost the connection to domain all of a sudden. However, when I
>> restarted the samba-ad-dc service, it reconnected. I am able to add new
>> computers and new users into domain. But moving the user from one OU to
>> another is throwing above error.
>>
>> I believe the DB is a 32 bit one and should support upto 4 GB. When I
>> checked in /usr/local/samba/private folder the size of smb.ldb file is
>> about 4.1 MB and rest of the ldb and tdb files are around 1 MB in size.
>
> Just some thoughts and things you can check:
>
> * Do you move only one or a few user objects or a large number at once?
It depends. Sometimes one, many a times around 10 belonging to same
group at once.

> * Does it happen also for other objects (computer accounts or groups)?
We did not try. While we are adding the PCs to domain, we are working to
reproduce our Organization Structure in AD OU and group structure.

> * Have you checked if there is maybe no free RAM left?
Our physical server has 64 GB RAM. Utilization is only about 13%. Our
Virtual Server has 16 GB RAM. Utilization is about 43%

> * Does it work after you restart Samba or reboot the host?
Yes, it works after restarting the samba-ad-dc service.

> * I guess you already checked that the mount point, where your Samba
> databases are located, is not full.
samba databases are on "/". It has more than 270 GB free on physical
server and on Virtual Server it more than 24GB free.

> * Does "samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs" reports any errors? Run it on
> all Samba DCs.
Will check & report back.

> * Do you see any errors in the log when you try to move an AD entry?
> Increase the log level, in case you don't see anything interesting:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configuring_Logging_on_a_Samba_Server
Log level is set to 3 from day one. Log is too large. However, I did not
notice anything related to this particular error. Will check in detail
once again.

> * Do you have multiple DCs? If yes, can you temporarily shut down Samba
> on all DCs except one and connect ADUC to this one and retry. And then
> do the same with an other DC. Just to make sure that it's not related to
> one DC.
Will check & let you know.

> * Is this a new environment or is it an older AD that was more or less
> frequently updated?
This is a new environment.

 From last two days, samba, all of a sudden, cutting off all users from
domain. It even fails to list domain controllers from RSAT. When we
restart samba-ad-dc service, it starts working again. Except a flood of
user log in attempts (many failed), did not see much information from
logs? Do you suggest, we increase the log level to 4 and above to get
more information?

Another point for you to note. We use the same limited admin account to
add PCs to domain from multiple places. Would it have caused something,
resulted in this strange behaviour?

Regards,

Ananth

On Fri, 2017-08-04 at 06:34 +0530, Anantha Raghava wrote:

> Hello Andrew,
> From the day one, we set the log level to 3. Log size is really huge.
> However, I did not see some thing very interesting and related to
> this error. It is all to do with user login, information, etc. Should
> I have to increase the log level to get more info?
> One thing we noticed. When we restart the samba-ad-dc service, it
> allows us to add new users, add new computers to domain, and even
> move the user from one OU to another. However, from last two days, at
> around evening (around 4:45 PM), samba all of a sudden cuts off all
> users from domain and even fails to list the domain controllers in
> RSAT. If we restart samba-ad-dc, it starts working properly.
> Now we need to see, what is that event that is causing this cut off
> all of a sudden? Is it a shear coincidence? Or is it something to do
> with the large number of PCs are now getting added from different
> places? Incidentally, we use the same domain admin account (limited
> administrator) to add PCs to domain. Is this causing some problem?

Can you track the memory use of samba over time?

You say elsewhere that there is plenty of RAM free, but is that still
the case just before it blows up?

Can you try Samba 4.7rc, where we made LDAP multi-process?  That would
keep any memory leak more isolated, which might help us find it.

You can also look for some clues in the output of:

 smbcontrol $PID pool-usage

It is very verbose, but careful analysis over time might give a clue
where the memory is.

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Anantha Raghava
>
> Do not print this e-mail unless required. Save Paper & trees.
> On 03/08/17 8:09 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Wed, 2017-08-02 at 21:09 +0530, Anantha Raghava via samba wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > We are using Samba AD DC (Version 4.6.5) on CentOS 7.3. We have
> > > two
> > > servers with BIND9 DNS and all are working just fine.
> > >
> > > Today, when we attempted to move couple of users from one OU to
> > > another,
> > > Windows RSAT reported /*"Windows cannot move object. Ther*//*e
> > > *//*is
> > > not enough storage space*//*"*/.
> >
> > I wouldn't take the error string literally.  There are too many
> > layers
> > of mapping going on.  LDAP does not contain such an error, so think
> > of
> > it as a bad translation.
> >
> > > Our servers have 300 GB Storage more
> > > that 270GB is free on the storage. At the moment we have added
> > > about
> > > 1000 users and about 450 computers into domain. Overall, we will
> > > add
> > > about 7500 users and equal no of computers to domain. I also
> > > noticed
> > > that RSAT lost the connection to domain all of a sudden. However,
> > > when I
> > > restarted the samba-ad-dc service, it reconnected. I am able to
> > > add
> > > new
> > > computers and new users into domain. But moving the user from one
> > > OU
> > > another is throwing above error.
> > >
> > > I believe the DB is a 32 bit one and should support upto 4 GB.
> > > When
> > > checked in /usr/local/samba/private folder the size of smb.ldb
> > > file
> > > is
> > > about 4.1 MB and rest of the ldb and tdb files are around 1 MB in
> > > size.
> > >
> > > Now, how do I correctly check the current DB size? Is the above
> > > error
> > > strange behaviour? How do we fix the above error?
> >
> > Turn up the logging on the AD DC and see what the real error and
> > error
> > string is.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team         https://samba.org
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Re: Not enough storage space error

Samba - General mailing list
Hello Andrew,

Good Morning..

Thanks for quick response.

We will monitor the memory usage and intimate you accordingly.

However, I doubt using the 4.7rc in this case. Also, creating a test
environment with 4.7rc, simulating the current process (Adding new
domain member PCs and users, reorganizing the Groups and OU) is very
difficult. Will definitely give it a try.

--

Thanks & Regards,

Anantha Raghava

On 04/08/17 8:44 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> On Fri, 2017-08-04 at 06:34 +0530, Anantha Raghava wrote:
>> Hello Andrew,
>>  From the day one, we set the log level to 3. Log size is really huge.
>> However, I did not see some thing very interesting and related to
>> this error. It is all to do with user login, information, etc. Should
>> I have to increase the log level to get more info?
>> One thing we noticed. When we restart the samba-ad-dc service, it
>> allows us to add new users, add new computers to domain, and even
>> move the user from one OU to another. However, from last two days, at
>> around evening (around 4:45 PM), samba all of a sudden cuts off all
>> users from domain and even fails to list the domain controllers in
>> RSAT. If we restart samba-ad-dc, it starts working properly.
>> Now we need to see, what is that event that is causing this cut off
>> all of a sudden? Is it a shear coincidence? Or is it something to do
>> with the large number of PCs are now getting added from different
>> places? Incidentally, we use the same domain admin account (limited
>> administrator) to add PCs to domain. Is this causing some problem?
> Can you track the memory use of samba over time?
>
> You say elsewhere that there is plenty of RAM free, but is that still
> the case just before it blows up?
>
> Can you try Samba 4.7rc, where we made LDAP multi-process?  That would
> keep any memory leak more isolated, which might help us find it.
>
> You can also look for some clues in the output of:
>
>   smbcontrol $PID pool-usage
>
> It is very verbose, but careful analysis over time might give a clue
> where the memory is.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Bartlett
>
>> --
>>
>> Thanks & Regards,
>>
>> Anantha Raghava
>>
>> Do not print this e-mail unless required. Save Paper & trees.

>>> I wouldn't take the error string literally.  There are too many
>>> layers
>>> of mapping going on.  LDAP does not contain such an error, so think
>>> of
>>> it as a bad translation.

>>> Turn up the logging on the AD DC and see what the real error and
>>> error
>>> string is.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Andrew Bartlett

Re: Not enough storage space error

Samba - General mailing list
Hai,

Im joining this one if you dont mind.
My setup:
Debian 8 (Jessie)
ADDC's  : samba 4.6.6
Member with profiles : samba 4.6.6
This problem is here seen also on a Windows7 Pro 64bit client.
The client here, is related to the user profile, this one is having a corrupted user profile in my case.
Due to this, my GPO fails and i see event id: 4098 , error code : 0x8007000E insufficions space ....

I also seen some hotfixes related to dotnet 3.0 for Win 7, but im not sure yet for Anantha what the problem is.

Also dont see this on my other computers, checked.
Windows 7 Pro 64bit ( other users )
Windows 10 Pro 64bit. Works fine also.  ( builds 15xx upto 17xx )

@Anantha, can you check if you see in the windows event logs with warnings and errors.
Can you post these? Event id NR. and error codes that all i need.

Imho, this is not samba that causing the problem but something in windows.

Greetz,

Louis

Hello Louis,

You are welcome.

As Andrew suggested, we are now monitoring the memory and written a
script to dump the memory consumption information at given interval of
20 minutes. We will share the results here.

One thing we observed today. None connected to RSAT today and we kept
adding the PCs to Domain. All versions of Windows - XP with SP3, Windows
7 Professional and Ultimate (32 and 64Bit) and Windows 10 Professional
and Enterprise. Everything worked just fine. We were not cut off by
Samba at any time. However, we have now given instructions to all not to
touch the RSAT either on Windows 7 Professional or on Windows Server
2008 R2 when we are adding PCs to domain. If the problem does not
repeat, then we feel probably we are heading towards some conclusion.

In our case, there is all the possibility that I connect to RSAT on
Windows Server 2008 R2 from one location and another personal at the
same time connects to RSAT from Windows 7 Professional. While I keep
observing the Computer Accounts and DNS entries, the other person works
on OU reorganization etc. This could be leading to this sudden
disconnection as DB may go inconsistent. I am not sure.

However, I will check the error from Windows Events and share the
details here. As Marc suggested, earlier, I will also execute dbcheck
cross-ncs and post the results here along with memory utilization data
over a period of time.

Just to give all information about our setup:

OS : CentOS 7.3 (1611)

ADDC : 4.6.5

No. of DC : 2 (1 in Physical Server with 2 X Octacore CPU, 64 GB Memory,
300 GB HDD & another Virtual Machine, 8 vCPU, 16 GB Memory, 50 GB HDD)

Total number of users accounts added : around 5000

Total Computers added to Domain : around 500 as of now.

Target is to achieve close to 8000 users and equal number of PCs.

--

Thanks & Regards,

Anantha Raghava

On Fri, 2017-08-04 at 22:14 +0530, Anantha Raghava via samba wrote:

> One thing we observed today. None connected to RSAT today and we kept
> adding the PCs to Domain. All versions of Windows - XP with SP3, Windows
> 7 Professional and Ultimate (32 and 64Bit) and Windows 10 Professional
> and Enterprise. Everything worked just fine. We were not cut off by
> Samba at any time. However, we have now given instructions to all not to
> touch the RSAT either on Windows 7 Professional or on Windows Server
> 2008 R2 when we are adding PCs to domain. If the problem does not
> repeat, then we feel probably we are heading towards some conclusion.
>
> In our case, there is all the possibility that I connect to RSAT on
> Windows Server 2008 R2 from one location and another personal at the
> same time connects to RSAT from Windows 7 Professional. While I keep
> observing the Computer Accounts and DNS entries, the other person works
> on OU reorganization etc. This could be leading to this sudden
> disconnection as DB may go inconsistent. I am not sure.

This feels very much like
https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12858

The issue is that if you combine renames with searches, then objects
can appear to vanish.

That would be another good reason to consider 4.7.

In the meantime, if any objects have vanished from one DC due to this
issue, then running a 'samba-tool drs replicate --full-sync' between
the DCs will be required to get them back.

Re: Not enough storage space error

Hello Andrew & Louis,

Yesterday by around 1:30 PM we had the same issue. Samba AD kicked all
of us out and RSAT did not connect to any domain controllers.
/*Incidentally the RSAT that caused this error was running on Windows 7
Professional 64 Bit edition.*/

When I restarted the samba-ad-dc service, all started working well
again. However, as mentioned again, I could not trace the error in the
logs. I have uploaded the log (starting 11:00 AM to 2:30 PM, it is 36 MB
in size!!) to google drive and invited you all.  Request you to check
and suggest. The logs are from PDC emulator. We have one more additional
domain controller. If you need I can enclose the logs from second DC as
well.

Also enclosed is the Windows Event (in CSV format) from the PC with
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit, running RSAT. I could only see the error
with respect to Group Policy processing and windows pc had some problem
with restarting.

Unfortunately the script we have written to dump the memory consumption
by samba process has failed. The file is having only few entries untill
10:00, till then everything was normal. I will fix this, simulate the
error, take the dump and post it here.

Also as Marc had suggested, dbcheck --cross-ncs didn't report any error
on both DCs.

Look forward for your help to fix this.

--

Thanks & Regards,

Anantha Raghava

On 04/08/17 10:14 PM, Anantha Raghava wrote:

> [...]
>> Debian 8 (Jessie)
>> ADDC's  : samba 4.6.6
>> Member with profiles : samba 4.6.6
>> This problem is here seen also on a Windows7 Pro 64bit client.
>> The client here, is related to the user profile, this one is having a corrupted user profile in my case.
>> Due to this, my GPO fails and i see event id: 4098 , error code : 0x8007000E insufficions space ....
>>
>> I also seen some hotfixes related to dotnet 3.0 for Win 7, but im not sure yet for Anantha what the problem is.
>>
>> Also dont see this on my other computers, checked.
>> Windows 7 Pro 64bit ( other users )
>> Windows 10 Pro 64bit. Works fine also.  ( builds 15xx upto 17xx )
>>

>> @Anantha, can you check if you see in the windows event logs with warnings and errors.
>> Can you post these? Event id NR. and error codes that all i need.
>>
>> Imho, this is not samba that causing the problem but something in windows.

For me.. the interesting parts.. where i think i can help out a bit.

[2017/08/07 11:00:06.129569,  3] ../source4/auth/kerberos/krb5_init_context.c:80(smb_krb5_debug_wrapper)
  Kerberos: constrained delegation from BLR066YESH03$@KTKBANKLTD.COM (blr066yesh03$\@[hidden email]) as BLR066YESH03$@KTKBANKLTD.COM to blr066yesh03$\@[hidden email] not allowed
[2017/08/07 11:00:06.129646,  3] ../source4/auth/kerberos/krb5_init_context.c:80(smb_krb5_debug_wrapper)
  Kerberos: Failed building TGS-REP to ipv4:172.25.182.15:49768

[2017/08/07 11:00:12.917959,  3] ../source4/auth/ntlm/auth.c:271(auth_check_password_send)
  auth_check_password_send: Checking password for unmapped user [KAMATH-PC]\[Lenovo]@[KAMATH-PC]
  auth_check_password_send: mapped user is: [KTKBANKLTD]\[Lenovo]@[KAMATH-PC]
[2017/08/07 11:00:12.918663,  3] ../source4/auth/ntlm/auth_sam.c:63(authsam_search_account)
  sam_search_user: Couldn't find user [Lenovo] in samdb, under DC=ktkbankltd,DC=com

and all auth messages, like this one.

  auth_check_password_send: Checking password for unmapped user [KAMATH-PC]\[Lenovo]@[KAMATH-PC]
  auth_check_password_send: mapped user is: [KTKBANKLTD]\[Lenovo]@[KAMATH-PC]
[2017/08/07 11:00:32.499136,  3] ../source4/auth/ntlm/auth_sam.c:63(authsam_search_account)
  sam_search_user: Couldn't find user [Lenovo] in samdb, under DC=ktkbankltd,DC=com
[2017/08/07 11:00:32.499172,  2] ../source4/auth/ntlm/auth.c:430(auth_check_password_recv)

[2017/08/07 11:00:50.131823,  3] ../source4/auth/ntlm/auth.c:271(auth_check_password_send)
  auth_check_password_send: Checking password for unmapped user [VALUED-SK025MV9]\[Administrator]@[VALUED-SK025MV9]
  auth_check_password_send: mapped user is: [KTKBANKLTD]\[Administrator]@[VALUED-SK025MV9]
[2017/08/07 11:00:50.133267,  3] ../libcli/auth/ntlm_check.c:397(ntlm_password_check)
  ntlm_password_check: NTLMv2 password check failed
[2017/08/07 11:00:50.133308,  3] ../libcli/auth/ntlm_check.c:442(ntlm_password_check)
  ntlm_password_check: Lanman passwords NOT PERMITTED for user Administrator
[2017/08/07 11:00:50.133357,  3] ../libcli/auth/ntlm_check.c:588(ntlm_password_check)
  ntlm_password_check: LM password and LMv2 failed for user Administrator, and NT MD4 password in LM field not permitted
[2017/08/07 11:00:50.133729,  3] ../libcli/auth/ntlm_check.c:397(ntlm_password_check)
  ntlm_password_check: NTLMv2 password check failed

I checked the thread again, and we are missing the smb.conf.
Can  you post the smb.conf of one of the DC's and same for a member ( preffered the one with problems)

I  cant tell anything about the DB sizes, so i leave that to marc and Andrew.
But we really need the smb.conf's to make sure you did setup correctly.

last, to make searching a bit better also.
Can you define some of the pc's if its winXP 7 or 10.

[KAMATH-PC]\[Lenovo]@[KAMATH-PC] ?  is this a windows XP pc?

ho001rmd37$@KTKBANKLTD.COM is a server?  ( os and samba versions)

and this one : BLR065SRIR07$ Server ? pc ?

That makes it a bit better to read the log and where what is happing and that should help the samba dev's to find whats going on.

>Yesterday by around 1:30 PM we had the same issue. Samba AD kicked all of us out and RSAT did not connect to any domain controllers. Incidentally the RSAT that caused this error was running on Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit edition.
What where you doing at that time with RSAT. Please describe. i use the RSAT tools a lot, but my network is lots smaller.

Greetz,
Louis

Re: Not enough storage space error

Samba - General mailing list
Hello Louis,

I am traveling to the location where the Samba servers are installed. I
can take the backup of smb.conf and post it here tomorrow. Also, I will
check the relevant PC / servers / workstations and give you the details
by noon tomorrow

--

Thanks & Regards,

Anantha Raghava

On Tue, 2017-08-08 at 08:30 +0530, Anantha Raghava wrote:

> Hello Andrew & Louis,
>
> Yesterday by around 1:30 PM we had the same issue. Samba AD kicked all of us out and RSAT did not connect to any domain controllers. Incidentally the RSAT that caused this error was running on Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit edition.
>
> When I restarted the samba-ad-dc service, all started working well again. However, as mentioned again, I could not trace the error in the logs. I have uploaded the log (starting 11:00 AM to 2:30 PM, it is 36 MB in size!!) to google drive and invited you all.  Request you to check and suggest. The logs are from PDC emulator. We have one more additional domain controller. If you need I can enclose the logs from second DC as well.
>
> Also enclosed is the Windows Event (in CSV format) from the PC with Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit, running RSAT. I could only see the error with respect to Group Policy processing and windows pc had some problem with restarting.
>
> Unfortunately the script we have written to dump the memory consumption by samba process has failed. The file is having only few entries untill 10:00, till then everything was normal. I will fix this, simulate the error, take the dump and post it here.
>
> Also as Marc had suggested, dbcheck --cross-ncs didn't report any error on both DCs.
>
> Look forward for your help to fix this.

I know you ruled out using Samba 4.7, but I would still suggest running
the current 4.7 git tree.

You are having repeated failures of your main AD, I think the balance
of risk is quite different in your case.  You can add an additional DC,
and see how that one goes.

Re: Not enough storage space error

On Tue, 2017-08-08 at 08:30 +0530, Anantha Raghava wrote:
> Hello Andrew & Louis,
>
> Yesterday by around 1:30 PM we had the same issue. Samba AD kicked
> all of us out and RSAT did not connect to any domain controllers.
> Incidentally the RSAT that caused this error was running on Windows 7
> Professional 64 Bit edition.

What as the action being done in RSAT?  If it was a OU rename/move, how
many objects were under the OU?

Re: Not enough storage space error

Sincere apologies for delay in sending the details. After my return, I
fell ill and just recovered.

Find the details below as you had sought.

Total No. of OU : 905

Objects under OU : On an average 10. Each OU contains mainly users.

Total Number of Domain Computers : Now it is 1300, eventually it will
grow to 8500

Total Number of Objects in DB 9005 (As reported by samba-tool dbcheck
--cross-ncs, reports "0" errors)

DB Size : 146 MB at present (That is "DC=ktkbankltd, DC=com.ldb" in
"/usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb.d/" folder.)

Total Number of Domain Controller : 2 at Present, we will add two more
shortly.

Hardware configuration (Server with all FSMO Role) : Lenovo Flex System
x240 M5 node with Intel E5-2600 v4 CPU (16 Core), 64 GB Memory and 300
GB HDD, 10Gbps NIC.

Virtual Machine on KVM for Additional Domain Controller : 2 (Virtual
Socket) x 8 Core per Virtual Socket, that is 16 vCore CPU, 32 GB Memory,
100 GB HDD, 1 Gbps Virtual NIC.

OS on which Samba is installed : CentOS 7.3 (build 1611), firewall and
SELinux disabled for the moment.

DNS : BIND 9 (9.9.4 to be precise)

We were moving many users from one OU to another when RSAT kicked us
out. At the same time, in some other location, PCs were getting added to
Domain as members. We kept observing the memory consumption using an
NMS, both memory & CPU utilization never shot up abnormally even when
domain controller kicked us out. Average CPU Utilization is about 3% and
average memory utilization is about 4% of total memory of 64GB.
Initially, as mentioned earlier, we thought this error is happening
because of RSAT on Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit.  However, the error
surfaced even when RSAT is being used on Windows Server 2008 R2.

smb.conf is attached to this mail.

Sample PC (Workstation), server names, OS versions :

AD-RSAT - Virtual Machine with Windows Server 2008 R2, mainly used for
RSAT and remote support.

BLR064RAJA06 - Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit with SP1

BLR114PADM01 - Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit with SP1

BLR902BSK307 - Windows XP Professinal SP3 32 bit

MLR495PMRR17 - Windows XP Professional SP3 32bit

KAMAT-PC - Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit with SP1

BLR907KHRO08 - Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB

Also we have a Proxy Server (WebSense) and different applications
authenticating against this AD Setup.

@Andrew

We did have a detailed discussion to move from version 4.6.5 to 4.7.
However it was decided that we wait till 5th September, the day on which
the stable version of 4.7 is scheduled to be released. We did setup
4.7rc, but simulating a large network is a challenge. Hence forced to
drop the idea.

--

Thanks & Regards,

Anantha Raghava

smb.conf (886 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Not enough storage space error

Samba - General mailing list
Now, its getting more detailed for the samba devs and more out of my scope.

But a small last question from me.
Are you moving OU's with users and are there GPO's liked to these OU's?
If yes, detach the GPO link and try moving without GPO's attached.

Still errors?
Are these users logged in or not? If still logged in, try an OU without users logged in.

I also did read something about the kerberos tokensize ( MaxTokenSize should be 65535 )
Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\Kerberos
( mainly xp and win2003 problems )
A long shot here..but  google shows me also a relation of problems between GPO and RSAT mananging user"s with the exact same error message.

Greetz,

Louis

[...]

What as the action being done in RSAT? If it was a OU rename/move, how many objects were under the OU? Thanks, Andrew Bartlett

Re: Not enough storage space error

Samba - General mailing list
Hello Louis,

Thanks for your continued guidance.

OU's don't have any specific Group Policies. There are only 3 policies
that are applied generally to all OU / all users. They are Desktop
Wallpaper, Domain welcome message with some usage guide lines, enabling
Remote Desktop, Remote assistance on all PCs using group policy. Barring
these, there is nothing.

We basically move users from one OU to another or add single or specific
set of users to a group when this happens. At one end we continue to add
the workstations to Domain and at another end, we keep reorganising the
Users in OU and group when this error happens - Samba kicks all out of
Domain, RSAT fails to connect to Domain, we cannot add any workstation
to domain. Restart Samba-ad-dc service everything starts working.

Now I have another Additional DC in the network, this time this DC is
with 4.7rc3. All data replicated properly, even group policy replicated
using Cron. However this new DC is not having any FSMO role.

We now need to check with RSAT connecting to this Additional DC in place
of the ones with 4.6.5

I will post the result results here once I have some insight into what's
happening.

--

Thanks & Regards,

Anantha Raghava