Next CLUG meeting - May 25th 2017 - Traceroute and false diagnoses on networks

Next CLUG meeting - May 25th 2017 - Traceroute and false diagnoses on networks

Samba - linux mailing list
All

Seamus offered this talk up for May and it sounds like it will be fun and
interesting so come and learn/discuss/etc.

See below, 18:00 at Wig and Pen for BeerSig
19:00 at CSIT Building ANU - N101 for CLUG.

Canberra Linux Users Group Meeting - 25th May 2017

 Date:          25th May 2017 (Fourth Thursday of the month)

 Time:         18:00 - 18:55

 Abstract:     It's BeerSIG time!
               'What's BeerSIG?' I hear you ask! BeerSIG is a social
               gathering, and an opportunity to get together with
               like minded people and share a social pint
               or two before the meeting.

 Location:     Wig and Pen, Llewellyn Hall, Canberra School of Music
               Look for the table with a stuffed toy penguin

 Time:         19:00 - 21:00 (or when it finishes)

Title:

* An animated explanation of how the packet loss and latency displayed
in the output of traceroute can cause you to make a false diagnosis.

Topics covered:

* Routers and Route Tables

* TTL (Time to Live)

* ICMP Time Exceeded messages

* Traceroute's utilisation of TTL and ICMP Time Exceeded messages to
determine routing paths

* 3 common types of traceroutes - ICMP, UDP and TCP

* The primary and secondary function of routers

* Effects of router prioritisation on the outputs/reports displayed in
traceroute tools

* Routing Paths: Symmetric, Asymmetric and Divergent paths

* Effects of Asymmetric and divergent paths on the outputs/reports
displayed in traceroute tools

Session length:

* 45 Minutes

Content Format:

* Series of diagrams and animations that illustrate each of the topics
mentioned above.

Presenter:

* Seamus Murray

 Venue:        Room N101
               Computer Science and Information Technology Building
               North Road
               The Australian National University

               See http://clug.org.au/ for more directions and a map

 Food/drink:   Pizza and soft drink/juice. Come hungry, and bring
               about $6 to cover the cost of your share if you
               want some.

--
Steven Hanley [hidden email] http://svana.org/sjh/diary
you could try to train me like a pet, you could try to teach me to behave

Re: Next CLUG meeting - May 25th 2017 - Traceroute and false diagnoses on networks

Samba - linux mailing list
Thanks, Steven:

> * An animated explanation of how the packet loss and latency displayed
> in the output of traceroute can cause you to make a false diagnosis.

Seamus, I would like a reminder on the technical terms.

> * Series of diagrams and animations that illustrate each of the topics
> mentioned above.

I'd like a link to these posted here.
--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

Re: Next CLUG meeting - May 25th 2017 - Traceroute and false diagnoses on networks

Samba - linux mailing list
Bryan

Deal with it

If there is something you wish to know, do some research. Google, read
wikipedia, learn a bit so you csan better understand the talk.

Then come along to the talk and learn the insights.

Do not expect to be spoon fed.

Technical talks can be interesting and if you wish to get the best out of
them put the effor tin to learn and understand some details beforehand.

        See You
            Steve

On Tue, May 09, 2017 at 11:26:32PM +1000, Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) via linux wrote:

> Thanks, Steven:
>
> >* An animated explanation of how the packet loss and latency displayed
> >in the output of traceroute can cause you to make a false diagnosis.
>
> Seamus, I would like a reminder on the technical terms.
>
> >* Series of diagrams and animations that illustrate each of the topics
> >mentioned above.
>
> I'd like a link to these posted here.
> --
> www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

Steven Hanley [hidden email] http://svana.org/sjh/diary
what is a camera but a box of light?
what is a guitar but a box of sound?
   Promised Land - Evolve - Ani

Re: Next CLUG meeting - May 25th 2017 - Traceroute and false diagnoses on networks

Samba - linux mailing list
Conventions and Terms Used in the Presentation...

The "traceroute" term is used as:
- the name of the software tool, e.g. “use traceroute to test the connectivity from Host-W to Host-E”
- the action of running the tool, e.g. “run a traceroute from Host-W to Host-E”
- the results from running the tool, e.g. “look at the traceroute to help diagnose the issue”

To keep things simple, I have only drawn a single IP address in the illustrations of the routers. In the real world, a router would have at least two IP addresses.

The network addresses are written using CIDR notation (Classless Inter-Domain Routing), e.g.:
- 10.10.0.0/24 is the network range from 10.10.0.0 to 10.10.0.255;
- 192.168.0.0/24 is the network range from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.255.

The term "node" refers to any devices capable of receiving or sending TCP traffic, such as compute host, router, firewall etc…

The terms "route" and "path" are interchangeable.

The terms "routing" and "forwarding" are similar, but vary slightly terms of magnitude:
- "forwarding" refers to sending a packet one hop towards a destination;
- "routing" refers to sending a packet towards its destination (via one or more hops).

The Term "ICMP Time Exceeded" is used in place of the full term "ICMP, Time-to-Live exceeded (Type 11), TTL equal 0 during transit (Code 0)"

Links...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Control_Message_Protocol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traceroute
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Protocol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_to_live
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping_(networking_utility)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Jacobson
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1918
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc792

Cheers
Seamus Murray

> * An animated explanation of how the packet loss and latency displayed
> in the output of traceroute can cause you to make a false diagnosis.

Seamus, I would like a reminder on the technical terms.

> * Series of diagrams and animations that illustrate each of the topics
> mentioned above.

I'd like a link to these posted here.
--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

Re: Next CLUG meeting - May 25th 2017 - Traceroute and false diagnoses on networks

Samba - linux mailing list
Thanks for all the helpful homework, Seamus - I am definitely looking
forward to your presentation.

A heads-up for others that this talk is likely to be heavily networking
oriented and not specifically about anything Linuxy. The tools are all
open-source and the protocols all open, so worth celebrating from a
Linux/FOSS point of view.

As with all the CLUG talks, some "Linux Users" (LU in CLUG) will
likely get a lot out of this but others may find it not so relevant
or not targetted specifically at their level. YMMV, as they say.

cheers,

Bob Edwards.