Need to join Windows server 2012 R2 as a client to Samba Domain in ubuntu 12.04

Need to join Windows server 2012 R2 as a client to Samba Domain in ubuntu 12.04

Samba - General mailing list
Hello Team,

I configured OpenLdap 2.4.28 with samba version 3.6.25 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

server.

And now window 7 to Windows 2008 R2 server I could able to join with samba
domain.

But,

When we try to join windows server 2012 R2 server it is not happening and
error

which

I am facing is as follows,

Error: /// The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service

location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain

Controller (AD DC) for domain "opeldap.sdef.com":

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."

(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.opeldap.sdef.com

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV records required to locate a AD DC for the domain are not

registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server
automatically

when a AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD DC at set

intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following
IP

addresses:

XXX.XX.XX.X

XXX.XX.XX.XXX

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child

zone:

opeldap.sdef.com

sdef.com

com

. (the root zone)

//

Request you to inform whether can we join windows 2012 server to samba
version 3.6.25 as

client?

and if it is possible please share the procedure with us.

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Regards,

Ramkumar R

Re: Need to join Windows server 2012 R2 as a client to Samba Domain in ubuntu 12.04

Samba - General mailing list
On Tue, 3 Oct 2017 12:15:04 +0530
Ramkumar R via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Team,
> I configured OpenLdap 2.4.28 with samba version 3.6.25 on Ubuntu
> 12.04 LTS
>
> server.

I have to ask this, why are using an OS that is EOL, along with an
version of Samba that is also EOL ????

> And now window 7 to Windows 2008 R2 server I could able to join with
> samba domain.
> But,
> When we try to join windows server 2012 R2 server it is not happening
> and error
> which
> I am facing is as follows,
> Error: /// The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the
> service
> location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory
> Domain
>
> Controller (AD DC) for domain "opeldap.sdef.com":
> The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
> (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

> The query was for the SRV record for
> _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.opeldap.sdef.com
>
> Common causes of this error include the following:
> - The DNS SRV records required to locate a AD DC for the domain are
> not
> registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server
> automatically
>
> when a AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD DC at
> set
> intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the
> following IP
> addresses:
> XXX.XX.XX.X
> XXX.XX.XX.XXX
> - One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its
> child
> zone:
> opeldap.sdef.com
> sdef.com
> com
> . (the root zone)
> //
> Request you to inform whether can we join windows 2012 server to samba
> version 3.6.25 as client?

How are you trying to join the 2012 server, as a domain member or as a
DC ?

If it is as a DC, this is not going to work.

You could try disabling DNS lookups on the 2012 server.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]

"DomainCompatibilityMode"=dword:00000001
"DNSNameResolutionRequired"=dword:00000000

Note: You do this at your own risk.

I personally would upgrade your OS and Samba, I would also upgrade to AD

Re: Need to join Windows server 2012 R2 as a client to Samba Domain in ubuntu 12.04

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Rowland,

##I have to ask this, why are using an OS that is EOL, along with an version
of Samba that is also EOL ????

Ans: My client is using the environment since from last 4 years and it is
integrated with lot of tools.

##How are you trying to join the 2012 server, as a domain member or as a DC
?

Ans: I am trying to join the 2012 server as a domain member only.

##You could try disabling DNS lookups on the 2012 server.

Ans: After disabling also same error only.

##[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanWorkstation\Pa
rameters]

##"DomainCompatibilityMode"=dword:00000001
##"DNSNameResolutionRequired"=dword:00000000

Ans: These entries also provided.

##I personally would upgrade your OS and Samba, I would also upgrade to AD

Ans: I already suggested my client but they are not ready to do this.

Here my question please inform me that is samba 3.6.25  is supported to
windows server 2012

And If it is not please suggest me what I should do then?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ramkumar R
+91 8892107131

Ramkumar R via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Team,
> I configured OpenLdap 2.4.28 with samba version 3.6.25 on Ubuntu
> 12.04 LTS
>
> server.

I have to ask this, why are using an OS that is EOL, along with an version
of Samba that is also EOL ????

> And now window 7 to Windows 2008 R2 server I could able to join with
> samba domain.
> But,
> When we try to join windows server 2012 R2 server it is not happening
> and error which I am facing is as follows,
> Error: /// The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the
> service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active
> Directory Domain
>
> Controller (AD DC) for domain "opeldap.sdef.com":
> The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
> (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

> The query was for the SRV record for
> _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.opeldap.sdef.com
>
> Common causes of this error include the following:
> - The DNS SRV records required to locate a AD DC for the domain are
> not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server
> automatically
>
> when a AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD DC at
> set intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the
> following IP
> addresses:
> XXX.XX.XX.X
> XXX.XX.XX.XXX
> - One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its
> child
> zone:
> opeldap.sdef.com
> sdef.com
> com
> . (the root zone)
> //
> Request you to inform whether can we join windows 2012 server to samba
> version 3.6.25 as client?

How are you trying to join the 2012 server, as a domain member or as a DC ?

If it is as a DC, this is not going to work.

You could try disabling DNS lookups on the 2012 server.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanWorkstation\Para
meters]

"DomainCompatibilityMode"=dword:00000001
"DNSNameResolutionRequired"=dword:00000000

Note: You do this at your own risk.

I personally would upgrade your OS and Samba, I would also upgrade to AD

Re: Need to join Windows server 2012 R2 as a client to Samba Domain in ubuntu 12.04

Samba - General mailing list
On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 10:44:34 +0530
"Ramkumar R" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rowland,
>
> ##I have to ask this, why are using an OS that is EOL, along with an
> version of Samba that is also EOL ????
>
> Ans: My client is using the environment since from last 4 years and
> it is integrated with lot of tools.
>
> ##How are you trying to join the 2012 server, as a domain member or
> as a DC ?
>
> Ans: I am trying to join the 2012 server as a domain member only.
>
> ##You could try disabling DNS lookups on the 2012 server.
>
> Ans: After disabling also same error only.
>
> ##[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanWorkstation\Pa
> rameters]
>
> ##"DomainCompatibilityMode"=dword:00000001
> ##"DNSNameResolutionRequired"=dword:00000000
>
> Ans: These entries also provided.
>
> ##I personally would upgrade your OS and Samba, I would also upgrade
> to AD
>
> Ans: I already suggested my client but they are not ready to do this.
>
> Here my question please inform me that is samba 3.6.25  is supported
> to windows server 2012
>
> And If it is not please suggest me what I should do then?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Regards,
> Ramkumar R
> +91 8892107131

Samba 3.6.x isn't supported by Samba, it is End Of Life.
Ubuntu 12.04 isn't supported by Ubuntu, it is End Of Life.

If it is a Samba or Ubuntu problem, you will not get the problem fixed,
for, as I said, both your version of Samba and OS are EOL.

One thing we haven't seen is the smb.conf you are using, perhaps there
are some clues there.

Re: Need to join Windows server 2012 R2 as a client to Samba Domain in ubuntu 12.04

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Rowland,

I have attached smb.conf file with this mail.

Please refer  the file and give me possible solution to resolve the issue.

Regards,
Ramkumar R
+91 8892107131

> ##I have to ask this, why are using an OS that is EOL, along with an
> version of Samba that is also EOL ????
>
> Ans: My client is using the environment since from last 4 years and it
> is integrated with lot of tools.
>
> ##How are you trying to join the 2012 server, as a domain member or as
> a DC ?
>
> Ans: I am trying to join the 2012 server as a domain member only.
>
> ##You could try disabling DNS lookups on the 2012 server.
>
> Ans: After disabling also same error only.
>
> ##[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanWorkstat
> ion\Pa
> rameters]
>
> ##"DomainCompatibilityMode"=dword:00000001
> ##"DNSNameResolutionRequired"=dword:00000000
>
> Ans: These entries also provided.
>
> ##I personally would upgrade your OS and Samba, I would also upgrade
> to AD
>
> Ans: I already suggested my client but they are not ready to do this.
>
> Here my question please inform me that is samba 3.6.25  is supported
> to windows server 2012
>
> And If it is not please suggest me what I should do then?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Regards,
> Ramkumar R
> +91 8892107131

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 18:10:40 +0530
"Ramkumar R" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rowland,
>
> I have attached smb.conf file with this mail.
>
> Please refer  the file and give me possible solution to resolve the
> issue.
>
> Regards,
> Ramkumar R
> +91 8892107131

Oh dear, it gets worse, not only are you running an EOL version of
Samba, on an EOL OS, you are also using smbldap-tools, which is, for
all intents and purposes, dead.

I would urge you to upgrade everything, including upgrading your
NT4-style domain to an AD domain.

In the meantime, you could try adding:

server max protocol = NT1

To your smb.conf

Re: Need to join Windows server 2012 R2 as a client to Samba Domain in ubuntu 12.04

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Rowland,

I added "server max protocol = NT1" to my smb.conf file but no luck.

Request you tell me any other troubleshooting ideas for this setup.

Is it possible to join windows 2012 server with samba version 3.6.25 as
domain member?

Regards,
Ramkumar R
+91 8892107131

> I have attached smb.conf file with this mail.
>
> Please refer  the file and give me possible solution to resolve the
> issue.
>
> Regards,
> Ramkumar R
> +91 8892107131

On Fri, 6 Oct 2017 10:28:30 +0530
"Ramkumar R" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rowland,
>
> I added "server max protocol = NT1" to my smb.conf file but no luck.
>
> Request you tell me any other troubleshooting ideas for this setup.
>
> Is it possible to join windows 2012 server with samba version 3.6.25
> as domain member?

Lets be blunt here, you are using:

An OS this isn't supported.
A version of Samba that isn't supported.
A helper package that is dead.
A version of Windows that doesn't support joining an NT4-style domain.

It may be possible to join the Windows machine to your very old domain,
but I have run out of ideas and feel the problem is very probably at
the windows end.

I have run out of ideas mainly because I have never been in this
position, I keep fairly up to date and never use unsupported software.

Re: Need to join Windows server 2012 R2 as a client to Samba Domain in ubuntu 12.04

Hi Rowland,

Request you to provide me any other troubleshooting ideas.

Regards,
Ramkumar R
+91 8892107131

> I have attached smb.conf file with this mail.
>
> Please refer  the file and give me possible solution to resolve the
> issue.
>
> Regards,
> Ramkumar R
> +91 8892107131

On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 13:51:54 +0530
"Ramkumar R" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rowland,
>
> Request you to provide me any other troubleshooting ideas.

I have none, other than upgrade the OS (Yours is EOL), upgrade Samba
(Your version is EOL), stop using smbldap-tools (it appears to be dead).