Need help debugging waf, not building tevent, talloc...

Need help debugging waf, not building tevent, talloc...

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
I've done a fairly ordinary configure on an OpenIndiana system,
and the result is not building libtevent or libtalloc.  The build finishes
without any errors, but attempting to run the program fails in the
dynamic linker because those libraries are missing.

This same system and work space used to build just fine.
It started failing after a git pull catching up several months
of upstream commits.  (Doing build bisection to see which
commit started this would take more time than I have.)

Is there something similar to "make -d" for waf?  I find it difficult
how waf seems to hide so much of what's really going on...
Suggestions on how to track this down very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Gordon

Re: Need help debugging waf, not building tevent, talloc...

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
So, it turns out I'm just not able to run things like smbtorture from
the build directory.
I thought that used to work, but maybe I did something I've since
forgotten to let that work.
Anyway, after running "make install" and running it from the installed
location, things look OK.
Probably just an issue finding all the correct libraries when running
from the build area.

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Gordon Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've done a fairly ordinary configure on an OpenIndiana system,
> and the result is not building libtevent or libtalloc.  The build finishes
> without any errors, but attempting to run the program fails in the
> dynamic linker because those libraries are missing.
>
> This same system and work space used to build just fine.
> It started failing after a git pull catching up several months
> of upstream commits.  (Doing build bisection to see which
> commit started this would take more time than I have.)
>
> Is there something similar to "make -d" for waf?  I find it difficult
> how waf seems to hide so much of what's really going on...
> Suggestions on how to track this down very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Gordon

Re: Need help debugging waf, not building tevent, talloc...

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
On Sun, 2017-03-12 at 17:18 -0400, Gordon Ross via samba-technical
wrote:
> So, it turns out I'm just not able to run things like smbtorture from
> the build directory.
> I thought that used to work, but maybe I did something I've since
> forgotten to let that work.
> Anyway, after running "make install" and running it from the
> installed
> location, things look OK.
> Probably just an issue finding all the correct libraries when running
> from the build area.

To be clear, this (running binaries as bin/binary) is meant to work,
provided you run 'make' first.  'make install' relinks for the install,
breaking the bin/ binaries until you type make again.

I hope this helps,

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 10:59:29AM +1300, Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical wrote:

> On Sun, 2017-03-12 at 17:18 -0400, Gordon Ross via samba-technical
> wrote:
> > So, it turns out I'm just not able to run things like smbtorture from
> > the build directory.
> > I thought that used to work, but maybe I did something I've since
> > forgotten to let that work.
> > Anyway, after running "make install" and running it from the
> > installed
> > location, things look OK.
> > Probably just an issue finding all the correct libraries when running
> > from the build area.
>
> To be clear, this (running binaries as bin/binary) is meant to work,
> provided you run 'make' first.  'make install' relinks for the install,
> breaking the bin/ binaries until you type make again.
>
> I hope this helps,

Yep - Andrew is right. If you've done a 'make install', the
binaries built in bin/ won't work. You need to do another
'make' command afterwards to end up with working binaries
in both install location and build location. That does sound
like what you're describing.