Migrate OLD PDC on Centos5 to Centos6

Samba - General mailing list
Hi.

I have a old server running our PDC(NT4 Style) with Centos 5+samba 3x+LDAP
as backend.

I want to move this setup to Centos 6.

Some one running this layout under Centos6 without issue?

I don't want to right now to work with AD style yet, no time for testing.

Thanks guys.

--
LIving the dream...

Re: Migrate OLD PDC on Centos5 to Centos6

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Alberto,

Am 07.04.2017 um 22:30 schrieb Alberto Moreno via samba:
> I have a old server running our PDC(NT4 Style) with Centos 5+samba 3x+LDAP
> as backend.
>
> I want to move this setup to Centos 6.
>
> Some one running this layout under Centos6 without issue?
>
> I don't want to right now to work with AD style yet, no time for testing.

I understand if people have a reason no to migrate to Samba AD, but why
do you move from an EOL RHEL version to one that is almost 7 years old?
RHEL6 enters next month Production Phase 3 (only security update and
urgent priority bug fixes). At the latest in 3 years, you have to
upgrade to RHEL7 or later, because RHEL6 will then reach its EOL.

In case you consider switching to RHEL 6 is because it contains Samba 3
packages, I just wanted to make sure that you know: Samba 4.x _does not_
mean you must migrate to AD. See
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba#Misconceptions_About_Samba_4

Regarding your migration scenario (the short version):
- Read the release notes of Samba versions you skipped. Parameters, etc.
may have changed their defaults or have been removed in the meantime.
- Export the LDAP database.
- Back up your smb.conf and Samba databases.
- Turn of the old PDC.
- Install the new OS. Use the same host name and IP to keep things simple.
- Restore your /etc/openldap/slapd.conf (remove /etc/openldap/slapd.d/,
if it exists).
- Import the LDAP database.
- Restore smb.conf and the Samba databases to the correpsonding
directories (I /guess/ the locations did not change).
- Start Samba
- Check the log files for errors
- Testing!

Regards,
Marc

Re: Migrate OLD PDC on Centos5 to Centos6

The OS is probably not an issue.    The samba version may be more of an
issue.

I have an oracle linux 6 system (another RHEL derivative) with samba
3.6.23.    I seem an option to install samba 4.2.10 using yum.

I think both versions are end-of-lifed.  You may be safer going with
CentOS 7.   You can configure Samba 4 a classic domain controller with
minimal if any smb.conf changes.

You will probably find (or probably already found) that getting
unsupported version of samba working with Windows systems is getting
more and more difficult.  If windows systems are patched for samba
badlock but the samba systems are not , you may have problems.

On 04/07/17 16:30, Alberto Moreno via samba wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have a old server running our PDC(NT4 Style) with Centos 5+samba 3x+LDAP
> as backend.
>
> I want to move this setup to Centos 6.
>
> Some one running this layout under Centos6 without issue?
>
> I don't want to right now to work with AD style yet, no time for testing.
>
> Thanks guys.

Re: Migrate OLD PDC on Centos5 to Centos6

U are right, I will test c7 and see what happen.
Thanks for the great post.

--
LIving the dream...