Mac SSD

Samba - linux mailing list
Hi folks,

I have an SSD out of a 2013 MacBook Air that I would like to get some data off. It is a PCIe 2x card, and not the usual small SSD format.

Does anyone have an adapter I can borrow, or know where I can get one?

Alex Ferrara
Director
Receptive IT Solutions

Re: Mac SSD

Samba - linux mailing list
On 4 January 2018 at 12:53, Alex Ferrara via linux <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have an SSD out of a 2013 MacBook Air that I would like to get some data
> off. It is a PCIe 2x card, and not the usual small SSD format.
>
> Does anyone have an adapter I can borrow, or know where I can get one?

Ugh. Silly propitiatory connectors.

Found some adapters here with a bit of google-fu, which might be a good
starting point.

http://www.microsatacables.com/drive-adapters-and-drive-
converters/apple-ssd-adapter

Simon

Re: Mac SSD

Samba - linux mailing list
On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 12:53:32PM +1100, Alex Ferrara via linux wrote:
  | Hi folks,
  |
  | I have an SSD out of a 2013 MacBook Air that I would like to get
  | some data off. It is a PCIe 2x card, and not the usual small SSD
  | format.
  |
  | Does anyone have an adapter I can borrow, or know where I can get one?

Is it viable to installing the SSD back into a similar model Macbook Air,
and run the system in target disk mode (boot with T (?) held?)

I'm pretty sure the disk appears as a normal firewire or thunderbolt
drive to the host system, so you could then just dd the raw data (or
whatever).

I have migrated data succesfully between various Macs using this
technique, and have accumulated a collection of Thunderbolt and
other cables/adapters over time.

If you're really stuck for access to a similar model Macbook Air,
I have a couple of almost-surplus-to-requirements MBA 11" models
that I could work with you to use for data transfer (in Canberra).

cheers,
Luke.

Re: Mac SSD

Samba - linux mailing list
Hi Luke,

Yes, it would be completely viable to do this. Unfortunately I don’t have a laptop with the right port available to me.

Alex Ferrara
Director
Receptive IT Solutions

P 0403 604 604
F (02) 4822 7700
E [hidden email]
W www.receptiveit.com.au

> On 4 Jan 2018, at 4:01 pm, Luke Mewburn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 12:53:32PM +1100, Alex Ferrara via linux wrote:
>  | Hi folks,
>  | I have an SSD out of a 2013 MacBook Air that I would like to get
>  | some data off. It is a PCIe 2x card, and not the usual small SSD
>  | format.
>  | Does anyone have an adapter I can borrow, or know where I can get one?
>
> Is it viable to installing the SSD back into a similar model Macbook Air,
> and run the system in target disk mode (boot with T (?) held?)
>
> I'm pretty sure the disk appears as a normal firewire or thunderbolt
> drive to the host system, so you could then just dd the raw data (or
> whatever).
>
> I have migrated data succesfully between various Macs using this
> technique, and have accumulated a collection of Thunderbolt and
> other cables/adapters over time.
>
> If you're really stuck for access to a similar model Macbook Air,
> I have a couple of almost-surplus-to-requirements MBA 11" models
> that I could work with you to use for data transfer (in Canberra).
>
> cheers,
> Luke.

Re: Mac SSD

Samba - linux mailing list
Yes, I have an adapter board for this, having to recently do exactly
what you're trying to do (pull data off a drive from a macbook).

What's the best way to get it to you?

On 04/01/18 16:29, Alex Ferrara via linux wrote:

> Hi Luke,
>
> Yes, it would be completely viable to do this. Unfortunately I don’t have a laptop with the right port available to me.
>

> Alex Ferrara
> Director
> Receptive IT Solutions
>
> P 0403 604 604
> F (02) 4822 7700
> E [hidden email]
> W www.receptiveit.com.au
>
>> On 4 Jan 2018, at 4:01 pm, Luke Mewburn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 12:53:32PM +1100, Alex Ferrara via linux wrote:
>>   | Hi folks,
>>   | I have an SSD out of a 2013 MacBook Air that I would like to get
>>   | some data off. It is a PCIe 2x card, and not the usual small SSD
>>   | format.
>>   | Does anyone have an adapter I can borrow, or know where I can get one?
>>
>> Is it viable to installing the SSD back into a similar model Macbook Air,
>> and run the system in target disk mode (boot with T (?) held?)
>>
>> I'm pretty sure the disk appears as a normal firewire or thunderbolt
>> drive to the host system, so you could then just dd the raw data (or
>> whatever).
>>
>> I have migrated data succesfully between various Macs using this
>> technique, and have accumulated a collection of Thunderbolt and
>> other cables/adapters over time.
>>
>> If you're really stuck for access to a similar model Macbook Air,
>> I have a couple of almost-surplus-to-requirements MBA 11" models
>> that I could work with you to use for data transfer (in Canberra).
>>
>> cheers,
>> Luke.

Re: Mac SSD

Samba - linux mailing list
Hi Alex

Before I make such bold statements, I should probably check your model
number. it should be on the bottom of the laptop, in the block of text
about how the unit is designed by apple in the state of california, and
starts with an 'A'.

regards

--
Stephen Walsh: Today included that moment where someone said "Wait, you're *that* Steve Walsh? You are way calmer than the company doco makes you seem"
Gabriel Noronha: I always assumed there was a community service video in the staff induction about you...