Low speed in Smaba sharing

Samba - General mailing list
Hi dears,
how are you?

my friends, i installed samba 4.7 on centos 7 , i need to use Active
Directory in Samba,
i connect to sharing with windows client, through user and pass samba AD,

i use 1G ethernet connection between client and file server,

but when i copy a file  from windows to file server,
speed copy is about 30-50 MB/s (show in copy progress in windows),

while before i use from samba without AD , speed was about 110 MB/S,

what happen in samba with Active Directory that causes speed be low?

any way exist for solve it?

very thanks for your helpful answers,

Re: Low speed in Smaba sharing

Samba - General mailing list
Am 04.12.2017 um 11:03 schrieb sam zand via samba:

> Hi dears,
> how are you?
>
> my friends, i installed samba 4.7 on centos 7 , i need to use Active
> Directory in Samba,
> i connect to sharing with windows client, through user and pass samba AD,
>
> i use 1G ethernet connection between client and file server,
>
> but when i copy a file  from windows to file server,
> speed copy is about 30-50 MB/s (show in copy progress in windows),
>
> while before i use from samba without AD , speed was about 110 MB/S,
>
> what happen in samba with Active Directory that causes speed be low?
>
> any way exist for solve it?

Are you running the AD DC and file sharing on the same samba? Don't do
that. Even Microsoft recommends that a DC is not used for file serving.
This is because SMB signing is required when talking to a DC, this also
applies to file sharing traffic. This puts heavy load on the server and
will limit the effective bandwidth. I tested this with a "real"
Microsoft Windows Server and got about the same figures as you: the same
hardware as DC gives 30-40 MB/s, as a member server I got ~100MB/s.

If you have only one physical machine, move the DC to a virtual machine.

Bye,

Andreas

Re: Low speed in Smaba sharing

Samba - General mailing list
Hi friend,
thanks fore your helps,

but, you allow still i explain more about my problem,
I setup DC but windows clients dont join in DC,
how can increase speed? or how i have  AD feature in samba without decrease
performance?

thanks,

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 11:03 PM, Andreas Heinlein via samba <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 04.12.2017 um 11:03 schrieb sam zand via samba:
> > Hi dears,
> > how are you?
> >
> > my friends, i installed samba 4.7 on centos 7 , i need to use Active
> > Directory in Samba,
> > i connect to sharing with windows client, through user and pass samba AD,
> >
> > i use 1G ethernet connection between client and file server,
> >
> > but when i copy a file  from windows to file server,
> > speed copy is about 30-50 MB/s (show in copy progress in windows),
> >
> > while before i use from samba without AD , speed was about 110 MB/S,
> >
> > what happen in samba with Active Directory that causes speed be low?
> >
> > any way exist for solve it?
>
> Are you running the AD DC and file sharing on the same samba? Don't do
> that. Even Microsoft recommends that a DC is not used for file serving.
> This is because SMB signing is required when talking to a DC, this also
> applies to file sharing traffic. This puts heavy load on the server and
> will limit the effective bandwidth. I tested this with a "real"
> Microsoft Windows Server and got about the same figures as you: the same
> hardware as DC gives 30-40 MB/s, as a member server I got ~100MB/s.
>
> If you have only one physical machine, move the DC to a virtual machine.
>
> Bye,
>
> Andreas

Re: Low speed in Smaba sharing

Samba - General mailing list
Hello,

enforcement of smb signing is independent of whether the client is
joined to the DC or not. On Windows, it is controlled by a registry key
that applies to all SMB traffic. It is explained in detail here:
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/josebda/2010/12/01/the-basics-of-smb-signing-covering-both-smb1-and-smb2/

With samba, server signing is controlled by the value of "server
signing" in smb.conf. The default behaviour follows that of Microsoft's
recommendations, i.e. "mandatory" on a domain controller. You could try
to set "server signing = disabled" in your smb.conf, that should
increase your speed. Be sure you understand the security implications of
this!

bye,
Andreas