Logging

Maxim Gordienko
Hello!

Why there is not standard logging infrastructure in JCIFS?
Some classes uses custom LogStream, others -- System.out.println.
Why not to use log4 or commons-logging?
I can implement JCIFS logging using commons-logging if you interested.

Thank you!

Maxim

Re: Logging

Christopher R. Hertel
Maxim,

Mike has sent out invitations for more folks to hack at the jCIFS code, so
if you have something you want to contribute just send in a patch for
review.

As a general rule, it's better not to be reliant on something outside of
the normal Java SDK, but commons-logging looks as though it may be
workable.

Mike?  Thoughts?

Chris -)-----

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 04:38:16PM +0300, Maxim Gordienko wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Why there is not standard logging infrastructure in JCIFS?
> Some classes uses custom LogStream, others -- System.out.println.
> Why not to use log4 or commons-logging?
> I can implement JCIFS logging using commons-logging if you interested.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Maxim

Samba Team -- http://www.samba.org/     -)-----   Christopher R. Hertel
jCIFS Team -- http://jcifs.samba.org/   -)-----   ubiqx development, uninq.
ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   [hidden email]
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   [hidden email]

Re: Logging

Michael B Allen-4
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:50:43 -0600
"Christopher R. Hertel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maxim,
>
> Mike has sent out invitations for more folks to hack at the jCIFS code, so
> if you have something you want to contribute just send in a patch for
> review.
>
> As a general rule, it's better not to be reliant on something outside of
> the normal Java SDK, but commons-logging looks as though it may be
> workable.
>
> Mike?  Thoughts?

Logging is fine just the way it is I think. Also, we're largely in
maintainence mode for the indefinite future. If someone finds a bug then
by all means report it of course.

Mike

Re: Logging

Maxim Gordienko
Ok, if you want to stay with JSDK api only there is logging facility
in jsdk 1.4.
Is JCIFS compatible with jsdk 1.2 and 1.3? If not, logging via 1.4
loggers do not introduce new dependency.

On 11/15/05, Christopher R. Hertel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maxim,
>
> Mike has sent out invitations for more folks to hack at the jCIFS code, so
> if you have something you want to contribute just send in a patch for
> review.
>
> As a general rule, it's better not to be reliant on something outside of
> the normal Java SDK, but commons-logging looks as though it may be
> workable.
>
> Mike?  Thoughts?
>
> Chris -)-----
>

> --
> "Implementing CIFS - the Common Internet FileSystem" ISBN: 013047116X
> Samba Team -- http://www.samba.org/     -)-----   Christopher R. Hertel
> jCIFS Team -- http://jcifs.samba.org/   -)-----   ubiqx development, uninq.
> ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   [hidden email]
> OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   [hidden email]

Re: Logging

Maxim Gordienko
Hello, Mike!
Excuse me for my insolent opinion, but current logging is not fine.
Transport1 floods log with messages with no way to silence it,
System.out.println is used.
Besides, using custom LogStream force developer to decide log or not
some event, instead of delegating this decision to log system.

On 11/15/05, Michael B Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:50:43 -0600
> "Christopher R. Hertel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Logging is fine just the way it is I think. Also, we're largely in
> maintainence mode for the indefinite future. If someone finds a bug then
> by all means report it of course.
>
> Mike

Re: Logging

Michael B Allen-4
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 12:50:07 +0300
Maxim Gordienko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, Mike!
> Excuse me for my insolent opinion, but current logging is not fine.
> Transport1 floods log with messages with no way to silence it,
> System.out.println is used.

That's because there are some System.out.println's left over from some
debugging in the last release. We'll take them out in the next release.

> Besides, using custom LogStream force developer to decide log or not
> some event, instead of delegating this decision to log system.

Well I don't know why you would care about logging inside jCIFS but this
isn't really true. See the jcifs.util.loglevel property.

Mike

Re: Logging

Maxim Gordienko
Hello!

Well, this is true, missed this property.
But why should developer care about calculating 'log.level >
somevalue' instead of using log system decision?

Maxim