KVM

Samba - linux mailing list
Does anyone run a KVM hypervisor?

​Does anyone run a KVM hypervisor on an AMD CPU?

​Does anyone run KVM hypervisors on both AMD and Intel CPUs?

​Does anyone run a KVM hypervisor on an AMD Ryzen Threadripper [1]
CPU?

If so what Linux Distribution is your KVM hypervisor running on?

So far I have only used Intel CPUs for KVM hypervisor builds. I read
Red Hat doco suggests you can live migrate Intel based hypervisor
Virtual Machines to ADM based hypervisors (and back again). Not sure
what this really means in terms of what CPU configuration the Virtual
Machine requires for this to work.

Links:
------
[1] https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113447

Re: KVM

Samba - linux mailing list
On 29/09/17 10:32, George at Clug via linux wrote:
> Does anyone run a KVM hypervisor?

Yes - several.

> ​Does anyone run a KVM hypervisor on an AMD CPU?

No - not yet.

> ​Does anyone run KVM hypervisors on both AMD and Intel CPUs?

No...

> ​Does anyone run a KVM hypervisor on an AMD Ryzen Threadripper [1]
> CPU?

No...

> If so what Linux Distribution is your KVM hypervisor running on?

Debian Jessie and Stretch.

> So far I have only used Intel CPUs for KVM hypervisor builds. I read
> Red Hat doco suggests you can live migrate Intel based hypervisor
> Virtual Machines to ADM based hypervisors (and back again). Not sure
> what this really means in terms of what CPU configuration the Virtual
> Machine requires for this to work.

For "standard" workloads, I can't see why this might be an issue,
provided both CPUs support the word width (32-bit/64-bit) of the VM.

If the VM is using instruction set extensions particular to one CPU
family or another, then it may well be a problem for live migrations.

cheers,

Bob Edwards.

On 09/29/17 10:32, George at Clug via linux wrote:
> Does anyone run a KVM hypervisor?
>
> ​Does anyone run a KVM hypervisor on an AMD CPU?
Have done so for many years.  No apparent issues.  Although I run only
"sandbox" VM, I have not struck one that would not install & run

> ​Does anyone run KVM hypervisors on both AMD and Intel CPUs?
>
> ​Does anyone run a KVM hypervisor on an AMD Ryzen Threadripper [1]
> CPU?
>
> If so what Linux Distribution is your KVM hypervisor running on?
>
> So far I have only used Intel CPUs for KVM hypervisor builds. I read
> Red Hat doco suggests you can live migrate Intel based hypervisor
> Virtual Machines to ADM based hypervisors (and back again). Not sure
> what this really means in terms of what CPU configuration the Virtual
> Machine requires for this to work.

The "details" view of the virtual machine configuration has a field for
CPU model.  I leave it at the default of Opteron G3, although my CPU is
only a dual core Athlon.  I've not noticed any issues from this
configuration.

On that basis, you could select "CPU" architecture for the VM to suit
the most likely host and probably change it later too.
> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113447

Rod