Quantcast

IPv6?

Samba - General mailing list
I noticed that samba is listening on IPv6, so I became curious and
wondered if I could actually use it, and so far, it looks like it isn't
usable.

Running nbtstat -A fe80::216:3eff:fe6f:1f3a on Windows returns the
stupid message that the address must be in the a.b.c.d format.  I then
tried using nbtlookup from linux:

nmblookup -S -U '[fe80::216:3eff:fe6f:1f3a]' \*
10.1.1.232 *<00>
Looking up status of 10.1.1.232
        DEVSERV2        <00> -         B <ACTIVE>

Why is it reporting the IPv4 address when I queried it with the IPv6
address?  It looks like nmbd is listening on IPv6, but does not or is
not able to report an IPv6 address.

Re: IPv6?

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Phil,

NBT name resolution is IPv4 only. Samba does work over IPv6, but NetBIOS name resolution is and always will be IPv4 only. It is a feature of the protocol not Samba.

Take a look at http://www.ipv6consultancy.com/ipv6blog/wp-content/uploads/sambaxp-2015-deploying-ipv6-only-samba-4-environments-v0_4.pdf and other presentations on the subject at http://www.ipv6consultancy.com/ipv6blog/?cat=4.

Best Regards,
David
--

Dr David Holder CEng FIET MIEEE
Erion Ltd, An Cala, Inverkirkaig, Lochinver, Sutherland, IV27 4LR, UK

Registered in England and Wales. Registered Number 3521142
Registered Office: Newtons, 49 Coniscliffe Road, Darlington, County Durham, DL3 7EH, UK

On 4/11/2017 9:24 AM, David Holder wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> NBT name resolution is IPv4 only. Samba does work over IPv6, but
> NetBIOS name resolution is and always will be IPv4 only. It is a
> feature of the protocol not Samba.

How can this be?  Everything I have read about SMB for the last 20 years
or so has said that it is based entirely on NetBIOS, and has no concept
even of IPv4; that it is NBT that translates NetBIOS to run over IPv4.

The slide show indicates that you have to use DNS for name resolution.
Does that mean that if you have a DNS AAAA record, then it will use
IPv6?  What about mDNS?  For that matter, why don't Windows workstations
appear to register their link local addresses with the Windows' Sever
dynamic dns foo.local domain?

Re: IPv6?

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Phil,

The answers are in the links but I'll expand a little below! 😉

> How can this be?  Everything I have read about SMB for the last 20 years or so has said that it is based entirely on NetBIOS, and has no concept even of IPv4; that it is NBT that translates NetBIOS to run over IPv4.

SMB does not have to be carried by NetBIOS. The too protocols can be decoupled. This is called raw-SMB (on port 445) and is carried by TCP not NetBIOS. This has been the default for Windows and other platforms since the inception of Active Directory. There is a bit more detail in http://www.ipv6consultancy.com/ipv6blog/wp-content/uploads/sambaxp2011deployingsambainipv6networks.pdf and some of my earlier presentations.

> The slide show indicates that you have to use DNS for name resolution.

Nope. See slide 9 & 10. It is common to use DNS but any IPv6 enabled name resolution method might be used (depending on the situation).

Usually, yes. BUT it is quite complex. See RFC 6724 and RFC 6555. These two RFCs do not provide the full answer. I would strongly recommend IPv6 training, such as ours (see www.ipv6training.com <http://www.ipv6training.com> ) as this is far from simple. It makes IPv6 consultants very happy though. 😉

>What about mDNS?

LLMNR, mDNS (aka Bonjour) can all provide IPv6 addresses but it might not be possible to use them for example if the nodes involved are not on the same link.

> For that matter, why don't Windows workstations appear to register their link local addresses with the Windows' Sever dynamic dns foo.local domain?

Link local addresses should never be registered in DNS. However, they can be used in LLMNR and mDNS.

Best Regards,

David

On 4/11/2017 10:45 AM, David Holder wrote:

> LLMNR, mDNS (aka Bonjour) can all provide IPv6 addresses but it might
> not be possible to use them for example if the nodes involved are not
> on the same link.

And LLMNR is windows-only, mDNS is not supported by Windows, so the only
inter-operable way is DNS?  Are there any other name resolution systems?

> Link local addresses should never be registered in DNS. However, they
> can be used in LLMNR and mDNS.

Why shouldn't they be registered in a .local domain?  Are they not
intended to be only on the LAN?

I manually assigned an fc00::/7 address to a Windows workstation and it
still does not appear to be registered to the dDNS.  Are these also
considered banned from DNS?

Re: IPv6?

Samba - General mailing list

Am 11.04.2017 um 17:29 schrieb Phil Susi via samba:
>> Link local addresses should never be registered in DNS. However, they
>> can be used in LLMNR and mDNS.
>
> Why shouldn't they be registered in a .local domain?  Are they not
> intended to be only on the LAN?

you should not use .local to begin with

http://www.mdmarra.com/2012/11/why-you-shouldnt-use-local-in-your.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/3209kv/everyone_please_quit_using_domains_ending_in/