IPv6 in Canberra

Samba - linux mailing list
Hi All,

Does anybody know how to get access to ipv6 in Canberra?  I've got a
cloud vm that has ipv6, and it kind of worries me that it might be 100%
broken but I would never know.

I've got iiNet/Transact, but it seems to be v4 only.  Interestingly
even the ACT Government network in schools also seems to be v4 only.  I
even ran a test on my phone (using an optus MVNO) and it is v4 as well.

Is this a misconfiguration on my end or or is Canberra ipv6-phobic?

Sam

https://learntemail.sam.today/

Latest blog post: Magic Name - https://learntemail.sam.today/blog/magic-name/

Re: IPv6 in Canberra

Samba - linux mailing list
AFAIK, internode has IPv6 but iinet doesn't.  Unfortunately internode doesn't offer a transact VDSL2 plan.  Other ISPs might do IPv6.

> On 2017/Jun/25, at 11:26 AM, Sam Parkinson via linux <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Does anybody know how to get access to ipv6 in Canberra?  I've got a
> cloud vm that has ipv6, and it kind of worries me that it might be 100%
> broken but I would never know.
>
> I've got iiNet/Transact, but it seems to be v4 only.  Interestingly
> even the ACT Government network in schools also seems to be v4 only.  I
> even ran a test on my phone (using an optus MVNO) and it is v4 as well.
>
> Is this a misconfiguration on my end or or is Canberra ipv6-phobic?
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Sam
>
> https://learntemail.sam.today/
>
> Latest blog post: Magic Name - https://learntemail.sam.today/blog/magic-name/

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant

Re: IPv6 in Canberra

Samba - linux mailing list
Hi Kim,

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 12:33:54 +1000 Kim Holburn via linux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> AFAIK, internode has IPv6 but iinet doesn't.  Unfortunately internode
> doesn't offer a transact VDSL2 plan.  Other ISPs might do IPv6.

The ISPs in Australia (with Internode as a notable exception) seem to
be resisting IPv6 completely.  I have heard that even Internode do not
do IPv6 on the NBN.

I, personally, tried for many years to get TransACT to enable IPv6 on
their customer network (i.e. the infrastructure between the ISPs and
the end users) to no avail.
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

Re: IPv6 in Canberra

Samba - linux mailing list
I'm using Infinite Networks on TransACT, they offer IPV6 over 6rd and
it's working fine!

iiNet did once have a trial of ipv6 on transact, but I could find no
information on it when I was looking at signing up to transact 18 months
ago.

I also have an IPv6 address on my phone from Telstra, which I believe is
now enabled by default on apple devices, but android owners will need to
edit the APN details to enable dual stack access.

If you'd like I can give you access to my wifi for a test!

Has anyone tried the CBR Free Wifi thing in town? It's run by internode
and may have ipv6 access.

Cheers
--
Paul

On 25/06/17 12:33, Kim Holburn via linux wrote:

> AFAIK, internode has IPv6 but iinet doesn't.  Unfortunately internode doesn't offer a transact VDSL2 plan.  Other ISPs might do IPv6.
>

>> On 2017/Jun/25, at 11:26 AM, Sam Parkinson via linux <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Does anybody know how to get access to ipv6 in Canberra?  I've got a
>> cloud vm that has ipv6, and it kind of worries me that it might be 100%
>> broken but I would never know.
>>
>> I've got iiNet/Transact, but it seems to be v4 only.  Interestingly
>> even the ACT Government network in schools also seems to be v4 only.  I
>> even ran a test on my phone (using an optus MVNO) and it is v4 as well.
>>
>> Is this a misconfiguration on my end or or is Canberra ipv6-phobic?
>>
>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Sam
>>
>> https://learntemail.sam.today/
>>
>> Latest blog post: Magic Name - https://learntemail.sam.today/blog/magic-name/

Re: IPv6 in Canberra

Samba - linux mailing list
Yes, Kim:
> AFAIK, internode has IPv6 but iinet doesn't.  Unfortunately internode doesn't offer a transact VDSL2 plan.  Other ISPs might do IPv6.

Some time ago I checked-out iiNet for IPv6. Discovering that while iiNet
had previously done a trial of IPv6--they didn't currently support it.

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

Re: IPv6 in Canberra

Samba - linux mailing list
The Signal Co. do native IPv6 on their fixed wireless services.

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 3:54 PM, Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) via linux <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, Kim:
>
>> AFAIK, internode has IPv6 but iinet doesn't.  Unfortunately internode
>> doesn't offer a transact VDSL2 plan.  Other ISPs might do IPv6.
>>

> Some time ago I checked-out iiNet for IPv6. Discovering that while iiNet
> had previously done a trial of IPv6--they didn't currently support it.
>
> --
> www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

Re: IPv6 in Canberra

Samba - linux mailing list
Hi Paul,

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 13:01:33 +1000 Paul Warren via linux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm using Infinite Networks on TransACT, they offer IPV6 over 6rd and
> it's working fine!

But it is tunnelled over IPv4 :-(  When PCUG was a TransACT ISP, we did
IPv6 tunnels in request (but did not tell people that they could
request it :-))

> iiNet did once have a trial of ipv6 on transact, but I could find no
> information on it when I was looking at signing up to transact 18 months
> ago.

That was also tunnelled.

> I also have an IPv6 address on my phone from Telstra, which I believe is
> now enabled by default on apple devices, but android owners will need to
> edit the APN details to enable dual stack access.

This is slightly better news.  I understand that Telstra will do IPv6
for their business customers if resuested.

> If you'd like I can give you access to my wifi for a test!
>
> Has anyone tried the CBR Free Wifi thing in town? It's run by internode
> and may have ipv6 access.

I have tried it, but failed to check if it has IPv6 support.  I'll try
to remember to check next time.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

Re: IPv6 in Canberra

Samba - linux mailing list

On 25/06/17 11:26, Sam Parkinson via linux wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does anybody know how to get access to ipv6 in Canberra?  I've got a
> cloud vm that has ipv6, and it kind of worries me that it might be 100%
> broken but I would never know.

If you can access it - it's not broken. There are plenty of tools to
monitor your VMs networking.

> I've got iiNet/Transact, but it seems to be v4 only.  Interestingly
> even the ACT Government network in schools also seems to be v4 only.  I
> even ran a test on my phone (using an optus MVNO) and it is v4 as well.

Optus provide multiple APNs - perhaps you need to try another APN for
IPV6 support (call Optus support). Alternatively check your phone's
configuration (not all phones support IPV6). In my experience Telstra
only gives IPV6 to NBN and Business accounts.

> Is this a misconfiguration on my end or or is Canberra ipv6-phobic?

Whirlpool page on ISP support for IPV6 in Australia
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/hw_feature_242

IPV6-test results page:-
http://ipv6-test.com/stats/country/AU

Test your IPV6 capability:-
http://www.test-ipv6.com/

IPV6.org.au try IPV6 page:-
http://www.ipv6.org.au/getipv6.php

Most government departments I'm familiar with have moved to IPV6 -
perhaps your experience with ACT schools is due to a local LAN
configuration (not my understanding). Perhaps because some people equate
NAT with security (there's an ARP joke there somewhere)?

Note for others - "ip a" will show network details, if you have IPV6
enabled you'll see an IPV6 address e.g.:-
3: wlp2s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP
group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:22:fb:c4:6d:04 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.1.122/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global dynamic wlp2s0
       valid_lft 2532sec preferred_lft 2532sec
    inet6 fe80::f93:8ed:dbd6:813c/64 scope link
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

In this case the inet6 address starts with "fe", which means it does
*not* support IPV6 internet (nor do addresses starting with "::", "fc",
or "fd")

Kind regards

--
    A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    A: The lost context.
    Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

    A: Yes.
    Q: Should I trim down the quoted part of an email to which I'm reply

http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html

Re: IPv6 in Canberra

Samba - linux mailing list
Thanks, Scott:

> Test your IPV6 capability:-
> http://www.test-ipv6.com/

{
        Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) appears to be INTERNODE-AS
Internode Pty Ltd, AU

        No IPv6 address detected [more info]

        Good news! Your current configuration will continue to work as web
sites enable IPv6.

        You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be
able to reach IPv6-only sites.

        Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have no access to
the IPv6 Internet, or is not configured to use it. This may in the
future restrict your ability to reach IPv6-only sites. [more info]
Your readiness score
0/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced
to go IPv6 only}
--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

Re: IPv6 in Canberra

Samba - linux mailing list
On Sun, 2017-06-25 at 12:59 +1000, Stephen Rothwell via linux wrote:

> The ISPs in Australia (with Internode as a notable exception) seem to
> be resisting IPv6 completely.  I have heard that even Internode do not
> do IPv6 on the NBN.

I think internode do ipv6 on non-HFC NBN...

https://www.internode.on.net/residential/broadband/nbn/features/

"""
Included Features ... Dynamic IPv4 Address and Static /56 IPv6 Prefix
"""

  -AA.

Re: IPv6 in Canberra

Samba - linux mailing list
Hi Ambrose,

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 17:07:47 +1000 Ambrose Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2017-06-25 at 12:59 +1000, Stephen Rothwell via linux wrote:
>
> > The ISPs in Australia (with Internode as a notable exception) seem to
> > be resisting IPv6 completely.  I have heard that even Internode do not
> > do IPv6 on the NBN.
>
> I think internode do ipv6 on non-HFC NBN...
>
> https://www.internode.on.net/residential/broadband/nbn/features/

Thanks, good to know.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

Re: IPv6 in Canberra

Samba - linux mailing list
Brian
On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 05:19:37PM +1000, Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) via linux wrote:
> Thanks, Scott:
>
> > Test your IPV6 capability:-
> > http://www.test-ipv6.com/

[ SNIP ]

> No IPv6 address detected [more info]

IPv6 addresses requries you to:

a) request a range
b) configure your home systems to use it.

Internode dop NOT assign IPv6 by default

[ SNIP ]

Tomasz

--
Tomasz M. Ciolek
 tmc at vandradlabs dot com dot au

Re: IPv6 in Canberra

Samba - linux mailing list
On 25/06/2017 12:33 pm, Kim Holburn via linux wrote:
> AFAIK, internode has IPv6 but iinet doesn't.  Unfortunately internode doesn't offer a transact VDSL2 plan.  Other ISPs might do IPv6.

Perhaps not helpful to this discussion, but I have a number of systems,
including a DNS server, several web servers, two SSH servers etc.
running over IPv6 at ANU Computer Science continuously since 2006 - so
there is _some_ IPv6 in Canberra.

As for home usage... tunneling over IPv4 seems to be the most prevalent
solution.

cheers,
Bob Edwards.

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 08:50:01AM +1000, Robert Edwards via linux wrote:

> On 25/06/2017 12:33 pm, Kim Holburn via linux wrote:
> >AFAIK, internode has IPv6 but iinet doesn't.  Unfortunately internode doesn't offer a transact VDSL2 plan.  Other ISPs might do IPv6.
> >

> Perhaps not helpful to this discussion, but I have a number of systems,
> including a DNS server, several web servers, two SSH servers etc.
> running over IPv6 at ANU Computer Science continuously since 2006 - so
> there is _some_ IPv6 in Canberra.
>
> As for home usage... tunneling over IPv4 seems to be the most prevalent
> solution.

Actually I found this interesting last year. My sister found she was unable
to get any response from a server I host that has and ipv6 address when she tried
accessing the web server from home.

I discovered her router/isp was choosing to use the ipv6 as it was available
and I had not configured the web server to respond on ipv6.  When I
configred it she could access the service again.  Looking at the config on
her adsl modem it was natively using it all the way through as it was
available.  Pretty sure this was internode (I ended up tracking down a
similar behaviour in my own NBN connection if I changed some options to ISP
preferred defaults)

        See You
            Steve

--
Steven Hanley [hidden email] http://svana.org/sjh/diary
just gimme your skeleton, give me the skin it's in, yeah baby, this is you

Re: IPv6 in Canberra

Samba - linux mailing list
On 25/06/17 16:46, Scott Ferguson via linux wrote:

> Note for others - "ip a" will show network details, if you have IPV6
> enabled you'll see an IPV6 address e.g.:-
> 3: wlp2s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP
> group default qlen 1000
>     link/ether 00:22:fb:c4:6d:04 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>     inet 192.168.1.122/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global dynamic wlp2s0
>        valid_lft 2532sec preferred_lft 2532sec
>     inet6 fe80::f93:8ed:dbd6:813c/64 scope link
>        valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
>

> In this case the inet6 address starts with "fe", which means it does
> *not* support IPV6 internet (nor do addresses starting with "::", "fc",
> or "fd")

Or, if you don't want to remember "fe80" etc. the "link" flag in the
output on the IPv6 line tells you that it is a "link-local" address
(has "link" scope) which means it won't be routed. So it will exchange
IPv6 datagrams with other hosts on the same link-layer, but not to
nodes outside your LAN.

Repeating this exercise on one of the machines I administer at ANU
gives:

3: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
state UP group default qlen 1000
     link/ether 68:05:ca:1a:c4:51 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
     inet 150.203.164.18/24 brd 150.203.164.255 scope global eth1
        valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
     inet6 2001:388:1034:2900::12/64 scope global
        valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
     inet6 fe80::6a05:caff:fe1a:c451/64 scope link
        valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

there are two IPv6 addresses: a "link-local" address and a "global"
address. Alas, the ANU DNS servers don't seem to want to reverse the
global IPv6 address (although you can do a reverse lookup of the IPv4
address, and then do a forward lookup on that DNS name to see the
global IPv6 address in the DNS).

cheers,

Bob Edwards.