I think Windows is making up the data in for the ".." entry in a Query Directory (Find) response

I think Windows is making up the data in for the ".." entry in a Query Directory (Find) response

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
Hi folks,

I was looking at the response to a Query Directory returned by Windows
and noticed that the File ID is zero and the times are the same as
those for ".".

This is impossible because the directory I was querying was
C:\Users\Some.User.Name although that is the root of the share.

However, I also created something at the root of the share, then did a
Query Directory on a subdirectory and saw that the four times were the
same for both "." and "..".

So, we could make up the times for ".." as well.

Richard Sharpe
(何以解憂?唯有杜康。--曹操)