How to stop the network pop up login window?

How to stop the network pop up login window?

Anh Tu

Hello,

Have any one run into this problem before, please advise me what I should do to stop the network dialog pop-up prompt with the intergrated authentication on MS Windows XP.

We implemented an application with SSO. It works fine excepted that everytime I launch the IE browser to send a request to that application, it keeps pop-up the network dialog login prompt even that I have added the site in the intranet zone and set the custom level to "Automatic logon only in the Intranet zone". I did alot of searching and most of the documents that I found they all mention the same thing about adding the site in the intranet zone and trusted site. Is there ANY thing else that I should check to stop the pop-up dialog?

MY client OS and the IE browser

XP Version 2002 w/SP-2

IE v6.0.2900.2180.xsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519

Thanks very much!!

-Anh

RE: How to stop the network pop up login window?

Tapperson Kevin
There could be a couple of things going on here:

1) IE doesn't think that your web site is a member of the Local Intranet zone.
If the site is not a member of the Local Intranet zone, you will get the logon pop-up dialog instead of being logged in automatically.  Make sure your web site is a member of the Local Intranet zone only.  It should not be a member of the Trusted Sites zone.  Check the indicator at the bottom of the screen to see what zone IE thinks the site is in.
(There is a known bug in IE, if you are relying on your proxy configuration to define the zone for web sites.  (Tools->Internet Options...->Security->Local intranet->Sites...->Include all sites that bypass the proxy server)  For each new browser instance, IE doesn't load/initialize your proxy configuration until after it initiates the process of making the first HTTP request.  Therefore, the first HTTP request of each new browser instance is ALWAYS made using the context of the Internet zone, even though your proxy configuration settings may indicate otherwise.  It does not go back and re-assess the security zone to be used for the first HTTP request once the proxy configuration has been loaded.  I fought Microsoft long and hard on this bug, but they will likely never fix it.  The manual zone definitions are always respected by IE, regardless of the browser's initialization state.)

2) The web site could be rejecting the credentials automatically supplied by the browser.  If the browser automatically provides credentials and the server returns a 401 error in response to the NTLM type 3 message, the browser will prompt the user to manually enter credentials and re-try NTLM with the manually entered credentials.  I would suggest taking a packet capture to see if this is what is going on; if your site is really a member of the Local Intranet zone.

-Anh

Re: How to stop the network pop up login window?

Jeffrey.Rodriguez
This can also be configured in Firefox, go to the URL "about:config"
and change the property "network.automatic-ntlm-auth.trusted-uris" and
add the hostname of your server.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Alan Rodriguez