Quantcast

How is to stop Windows to be DMB if Samba4 standalone server is set up for DMB role !

How is to stop Windows to be DMB if Samba4 standalone server is set up for DMB role !

Samba - General mailing list
There is Windows 2008R2 actng as DC and Samba4 4.5.2 acting as standalone
server in the same network.

Samba4 is set up to be DMB:
domain master = yes
local maser= yes
browse list = yes
os level = 254
preferred master = yes
enhanced browsing = yes

Windows 2008R2 includes also DMB role in itself.

As following, if Windows boots first, before Samba starts, it becomes DMB
and has workgroup<1b> resource name, if Samba starts before Windows boots,
Samba becomes DMB and holds workgroup<1b> resource name.
I changed Samba4 code and could register workgroup<1b> name at Samba4
regardless of Windows booting time - before or after Samba4 starts.
But Windows still holds workgroup<1b> name anyway (in case of booting
before Samba starts) .

How is possible to announce Windows by Samba that Windows is no longer DMB
and it has to release workgrooup<1b> name or to claim workgroup<1b> name
from Windows by Samba ?

What announce or packet with what content has to be send from Samba4 to
Windows to stop Windows to be DMB ?

Re: How is to stop Windows to be DMB if Samba4 standalone server is set up for DMB role !

Samba - General mailing list
On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 10:32:49 +0300
"CpServiceSPb . via samba" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is Windows 2008R2 actng as DC and Samba4 4.5.2 acting as
> standalone server in the same network.
>
> What announce or packet with what content has to be send from Samba4
> to Windows to stop Windows to be DMB ?

Your smb.conf additions could just be written as:

domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 254

The rest are default settings.

As for how you get your standalone server to be master browser, well
good luck with that. You are trying to get an NT4 server to be the DMB
in an AD domain, the only way I can think of this working, is if you
make the Samba machine have a different workgroup name.