Quantcast

Help needed with Windows7 roaming files.

Help needed with Windows7 roaming files.

Dennis M
Hi all,

We've been trying to setup/upgrade a samba PDC (version 3.56) with OpenLDAP
as backend and roaming profiles for Windows7 (32bit) Clients. windows7 has
no problem
with login after applying the reg patches,  however, it seems to always load
a temporary profile as opposed to roaming one for users,  no local profile
is created.
this has caused Outlook 2010 to function improperly (complains about outlook
data cannot be accessed and fail to send any email),  if i force profile
type
to local only in registry then outlook works perfectly,  local profile is
not an option for us though as a lot of our users change sites/pcs quite
often.

I've enclosed some related info below;  the same config works perfectly with
windowsXP clients.

Ldap entries (samba related)

objectClass: sambaSamAccount
sambaSID: S-1-5-21-1209579028-1696229136-1764916649-15754
sambaHomePath: \\server1\user1
sambaProfilePath: \\server1\user1\.profile
sambaLogonScript: logon.bat
sambaAcctFlags: [UX         ]
sambaPrimaryGroupSID: S-1-5-21-1209579028-1696229136-1764916649-513

smb.conf

logon drive = H:
logon home = \\%s\%U

[profiles]
  path = /home
  browseable = no
  read only = no
  profile acls = yes
  csc policy = disable
  hide files=/Desktop.ini/Thumbs.db/lost+found
  store dos attributes = Yes
  create mask = 0600
  directory mask = 0700

[profiles.v2]
 copy = profiles

Any ideas?   thanks heaps.

Dennis

 has anybody managed to get Windows 7 (final) to use roaming profiles?
Windows
> 7 is joined to my Samba 3.4.1 domain and always logs me in with a
temporary
> profile. Windows XP works without problems.

Re: Help needed with Windows7 roaming files.

Gary Dale-2
Are you sure it's not a permissions problem? Have the Windows 7 machines
been properly added to the domain? Are the user accounts enabled?

Sorry, I have no Windows 7 clients to test things on. However, whenever
I've had similar problems, it's been an account setup problem, not a
Samba configuration issue.

On 17/02/11 11:00 PM, Dennis M wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We've been trying to setup/upgrade a samba PDC (version 3.56) with OpenLDAP
> as backend and roaming profiles for Windows7 (32bit) Clients. windows7 has
> no problem
> with login after applying the reg patches,  however, it seems to always load
> a temporary profile as opposed to roaming one for users,  no local profile
> is created.
> this has caused Outlook 2010 to function improperly (complains about outlook
> data cannot be accessed and fail to send any email),  if i force profile
> type
> to local only in registry then outlook works perfectly,  local profile is
> not an option for us though as a lot of our users change sites/pcs quite
> often.
>
> I've enclosed some related info below;  the same config works perfectly with
> windowsXP clients.
>
> Ldap entries (samba related)
>
> objectClass: sambaSamAccount
> sambaSID: S-1-5-21-1209579028-1696229136-1764916649-15754
> sambaHomePath: \\server1\user1
> sambaProfilePath: \\server1\user1\.profile
> sambaLogonScript: logon.bat
> sambaAcctFlags: [UX         ]
> sambaPrimaryGroupSID: S-1-5-21-1209579028-1696229136-1764916649-513
>

> smb.conf
>
> [global]
> logon drive = H:
> logon home = \\%s\%U
>
> [profiles]
>    path = /home
>    browseable = no
>    read only = no
>    profile acls = yes
>    csc policy = disable
>    hide files=/Desktop.ini/Thumbs.db/lost+found
>    store dos attributes = Yes
>    create mask = 0600
>    directory mask = 0700
>
> [profiles.v2]
>   copy = profiles
>

> Any ideas?   thanks heaps.
>

> Dennis
>

>   has anybody managed to get Windows 7 (final) to use roaming profiles?
> Windows
>
>> 7 is joined to my Samba 3.4.1 domain and always logs me in with a
>>
> temporary
>
>> profile. Windows XP works without problems.

Re: Help needed with Windows7 roaming files.

tms3

> Hi all,
>
> We've been trying to setup/upgrade a samba PDC (version 3.56) with
> OpenLDAP
> as backend and roaming profiles for Windows7 (32bit) Clients. windows7
> has
> no problem
> with login after applying the reg patches,  however, it seems to
> always load
> a temporary profile as opposed to roaming one for users,  no local
> profile
> is created.
> this has caused Outlook 2010 to function improperly (complains about
> outlook
> data cannot be accessed and fail to send any email),  if i force
> profile
> type
> to local only in registry then outlook works perfectly,  local profile
> is
> not an option for us though as a lot of our users change sites/pcs
> quite
> often.
>
> I've enclosed some related info below;  the same config works
> perfectly with
> windowsXP clients.
>
> Ldap entries (samba related)
>
> objectClass: sambaSamAccount
> sambaSID: S-1-5-21-1209579028-1696229136-1764916649-15754
> sambaHomePath: \\server1\user1
> sambaProfilePath: \\server1\user1\.profile
> sambaLogonScript: logon.bat
> sambaAcctFlags: [UX         ]
> sambaPrimaryGroupSID: S-1-5-21-1209579028-1696229136-1764916649-513

sambaProfilePath: \\oakland\profiles\pcuser
homeDirectory: /home/pcuser
sn: pcuser
sambaHomePath: \\oakland\open

Works fine with XP, Vista and Win7

smb.conf

<SNIP>

[Profiles]
  path=/usr/home/sambashit/Profiles
  public = yes
   only guest = no
   browseable = yes
   writeable = yes
   printable = no
   create mask = 0770
   force create mode = 0770
   force directory mode = 0770
   directory security mask = 0770
   level2 oplocks = Yes

Security fine grained control using acls set from Administrator
account on Windows workstation.

> smb.conf
>
> [global]
> logon drive = H:
> logon home = \\%s\%U
>
> [profiles]
>    path = /home
>    browseable = no
>    read only = no
>    profile acls = yes
>    csc policy = disable
>    hide files=/Desktop.ini/Thumbs.db/lost+found
>    store dos attributes = Yes
>    create mask = 0600
>    directory mask = 0700
>
> [profiles.v2]
> copy = profiles
>

> Any ideas?   thanks heaps.
>

> Dennis
>

> has anybody managed to get Windows 7 (final) to use roaming profiles?
> Windows
>>
>> 7 is joined to my Samba 3.4.1 domain and always logs me in with a
> temporary
>>
>> profile. Windows XP works without problems.

Re: Help needed with Windows7 roaming files.

Dennis M
Hi Guys,

I've had a check again, looks like roaming profile is already running (sorry
about being misleading),  strange though
no local profile is created (this can be found out when i log in as local
admin and go to the User Profile tab in computer
properties),  and outlook still complains about the data file cannot be
accessed and not sending email  (we have two
email accounts in outlook,  the exchange one is fine, only imap/smtp account
is not sending. )  on Windows XP before
the upgrade everything was fine,  just wondering if there's anyone managed
to get outlook working with windows7 roaming profile.

.profile.V2 looks fine on the server.  it was auto-generated by windows7.

Thanks again.

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 12:30 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Dennis!
>
> Windows 7 uses the same share for roaming profiles as Windows XP, but
> a different directory. (so, you don't need the profiles.v2 share)
> The profile directories for Win7 ends with ".v2". Try to create a
> directory with the following name: \\server1\user1\.profile.v2.
> Perhaps it helps, If doesn't, then here is my config which worked for
> me:
>
> smb.conf:
>
> [global]
> logon path = \\smbserver\profiles\%U
> [profiles]
>    path = /opt/samba/profiles
>    writeable = yes
>    browseable = yes
>    read only = no
>    hide unreadable = yes
>    directory mask = 0770
>    force directory mode = 2770
>    create mask = 0660
>
> In the profiles share I made two directories for the two profiles:
> john
> john.v2
>
> Best regards,
> mredd

Re: Help needed with Windows7 roaming files.

Daniel Müller
With outlook working you need to redirect your users pst and you need to set
up a prf-file for each user.
Ex:
;Automatically generated PRF file from the Microsoft Office Customization
and Installation Wizard

; **************************************************************
; Section 1 - Profile Defaults
; **************************************************************

[General]
Custom=1
ProfileName=test
DefaultProfile=Yes
OverwriteProfile=Yes
ModifyDefaultProfileIfPresent=FALSE
;DefaultStore=Service1

; **************************************************************
; Section 2 - Services in Profile
; **************************************************************

[Service List]
Service1=Personal Folders
Service2=Outlook Address Book
Service3=Personal Address Book

;***************************************************************
; Section 3 - List of internet accounts
;***************************************************************

[Internet Account List]
Account1=IMAP_I_Mail

;***************************************************************
; Section 4 - Default values for each service.
;***************************************************************
[Service1]
UniqueService=No
Name=Mein persönlicher Ordner
PathToPersonalFolders=\\tuepropdc\%USERNAME%\outlook\%USERNAME%.pst
<------the psts
EncryptionType=0x80000000

[Service2]

[Service3]
NameOfPAB="Persönliches Adress Buch"
Path="\\tuepropdc\%USERNAME%\outlook\%USERNAME%.pab"
ShowNamesBy=0

But you are running exchange. Why do you need another imap and smtp?

EDV Daniel Müller

Leitung EDV
Tropenklinik Paul-Lechler-Krankenhaus
Paul-Lechler-Str. 24
72076 Tübingen

Tel.: 07071/206-463, Fax: 07071/206-499
eMail: [hidden email]
Internet: www.tropenklinik.de

<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Dennis!
>
> Windows 7 uses the same share for roaming profiles as Windows XP, but
> a different directory. (so, you don't need the profiles.v2 share)
> The profile directories for Win7 ends with ".v2". Try to create a
> directory with the following name: \\server1\user1\.profile.v2.
> Perhaps it helps, If doesn't, then here is my config which worked for
> me:
>
> smb.conf:
>
> [global]
> logon path = \\smbserver\profiles\%U
> [profiles]
>    path = /opt/samba/profiles
>    writeable = yes
>    browseable = yes
>    read only = no
>    hide unreadable = yes
>    directory mask = 0770
>    force directory mode = 2770
>    create mask = 0660
>
> In the profiles share I made two directories for the two profiles:
> john
> john.v2
>
> Best regards,
> mredd

Re: Help needed with Windows7 roaming files.

Dennis M
Thanks Daniel,

The legacy  IMap (postfix and courier) server exists for historic reasons,
we have plans to merge it with the Exchange server sometime this year. until
then we will still need to live with it.

Can you give more details as in how to activate the prf file for each user?
if i understand correctly,  this will place the .prf file in the network
share,
i heard it's not supported by MS prone to errors.

Thanks heaps for the great help!