Quantcast

[GSoC 2017] New Idea about rsync

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
Hi, there

Hope this e-mail finds you well. I'm interested in GSoC program. And
I have an idea about the tool rsync.

I've been one of the admins of TUNA mirror site (mirrors.tuna.tsinghua.
edu.cn), which provides mirrors for a large amount of open source
softwares. Late last year, as one of the top two mirror sites in China,
rsync request from other sites made the load on our storage system
grow largely. I realized that to initialize a rsync connection, the
requested directory would be scanned recursively, which was making
massive IO operations and causing cache miss. To reduce the stress,
I did some modification to `rsync` and was able to cache the attributes
of the files. The result was fine, and is published on
https://github.com/tuna/rsync and further documentation is on
https://github.com/tuna/rsync/blob/master/README-huai.md

The modification itself was successful. During the process of the modifi-
cation, however, I found rsync is lack of documentation, especially the
communication protocol. [https://rsync.samba.org/how-rsync-works.html]
was one of a few documents for my reference. I noticed that samba is
participating the 2017 GSoC project and rsync is maintained by you. As
a result, I wonder if I can do something for the documentation for the
rsync protocol.

The achievement of this idea, as I expect, will include a detailed document
about the whole rsync protocol, which can be relied on if someone is
working on another implementation of the rsync. I will document the
latest protocol, as well as historical versions if there is time left.

I wonder if this idea is appropriate for a summer project. I also need
your suggestion on my idea.

Cheers,

Miao Wang

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: [GSoC 2017] New Idea about rsync

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 02:08:20AM +0800, Shanker Wang via samba-technical wrote:

> Hi, there
>
> Hope this e-mail finds you well. I'm interested in GSoC program. And
> I have an idea about the tool rsync.
>
> I've been one of the admins of TUNA mirror site (mirrors.tuna.tsinghua.
> edu.cn), which provides mirrors for a large amount of open source
> softwares. Late last year, as one of the top two mirror sites in China,
> rsync request from other sites made the load on our storage system
> grow largely. I realized that to initialize a rsync connection, the
> requested directory would be scanned recursively, which was making
> massive IO operations and causing cache miss. To reduce the stress,
> I did some modification to `rsync` and was able to cache the attributes
> of the files. The result was fine, and is published on
> https://github.com/tuna/rsync and further documentation is on
> https://github.com/tuna/rsync/blob/master/README-huai.md
>
> The modification itself was successful. During the process of the modifi-
> cation, however, I found rsync is lack of documentation, especially the
> communication protocol. [https://rsync.samba.org/how-rsync-works.html]
> was one of a few documents for my reference. I noticed that samba is
> participating the 2017 GSoC project and rsync is maintained by you. As
> a result, I wonder if I can do something for the documentation for the
> rsync protocol.
>
> The achievement of this idea, as I expect, will include a detailed document
> about the whole rsync protocol, which can be relied on if someone is
> working on another implementation of the rsync. I will document the
> latest protocol, as well as historical versions if there is time left.
>
> I wonder if this idea is appropriate for a summer project. I also need
> your suggestion on my idea.

Hi Miao,

I'm sorry, you're asking on the wrong mailing list. This list if
for the Samba project, not rsync. Although it's hosted on samba.org,
it's not maintained here.

Regards,

        Jeremy.

Re: [GSoC 2017] New Idea about rsync

Samba - samba-technical mailing list
Sorry for that. BTW, I'm curious about the relation between samba and
rsync.

Miao Wang

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 02:06:31PM +0800, Wang Shanker via samba-technical wrote:
> Sorry for that. BTW, I'm curious about the relation between samba and
> rsync.

Same original author, Andrew Tridgell. That's about it :-)

Volker

Please make use of relevant lists from https://rsync.samba.org/lists.html