GNUstep

Samba - linux mailing list
It's a directory in my user directory. It contains directories
"Defaults" and "Library". The former being empty. The latter contains a
"Services" directory. Which is empty.

What am I supposed to use this for, and how?
--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

Re: GNUstep

Samba - linux mailing list
On 9 September 2017 at 03:10, Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) via linux
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's a directory in my user directory. It contains directories "Defaults"
> and "Library". The former being empty. The latter contains a "Services"
> directory. Which is empty.
>
> What am I supposed to use this for, and how?

I'm guessing you tried out some software using [GNUstep], which
created that directory to store it's configuration/cache.  It should
be safe to delete, but if you still use the piece of software written
using GNUstep then you may lose some settings if you do.

[GNUstep]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNUstep

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]

Re: GNUstep

Samba - linux mailing list

On 09/09/17 03:10, Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) via linux wrote:
> It's a directory in my user directory. It contains directories
> "Defaults" and "Library". The former being empty. The latter contains a
> "Services" directory. Which is empty.
>
> What am I supposed to use this for, and how?

You have at least one of three packages installed:-
gnustep-examples
gnustep-gui-runtime
gworkspace.app
wmaker-common

"apt-file update" creates a local database of files and the paths they
are installed to by packages in repositories listed in "grep "^[^#]"
/etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}"

By filtering the output of "apt-file search" you can determine what
packages could have installed those files (knowing that many packages
stow default configuration and directory structure in /usr/lib/$Packagename)

e.g.:-
for i in Defaults Library Services;do apt-file search GNUstep/$i;done
wmaker-common: /etc/GNUstep/Defaults/WMGLOBAL
wmaker-common: /etc/GNUstep/Defaults/WMRootMenu
wmaker-common: /etc/GNUstep/Defaults/WMState
wmaker-common: /etc/GNUstep/Defaults/WMWindowAttributes
wmaker-common: /etc/GNUstep/Defaults/WindowMaker
gnustep-examples:
/usr/lib/GNUstep/Services/example.service/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist
gnustep-examples: /usr/lib/GNUstep/Services/example.service/example
gnustep-gui-runtime: /usr/lib/GNUstep/Services/GSspell.service/GSspell
gnustep-gui-runtime:
/usr/lib/GNUstep/Services/GSspell.service/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist
gworkspace.app: /usr/lib/GNUstep/Services/thumbnailer.service/Resources
gworkspace.app: /usr/lib/GNUstep/Services/thumbnailer.service/thumbnailer

a little text processing will give you a short list of packagenames:-
for i in Defaults Library Services;do apt-file search
GNUstep/$i;done|cut -f1 -d:|sort -u
gnustep-examples
gnustep-gui-runtime
gworkspace.app
wmaker-common

which you can convert into a result that displays the relevant man file
- which will display the answer to your first question (the latter
question is one you'd answer afterwards):-
for i in $(for i in Defaults Library Services;do apt-file search
GNUstep/$i;done|cut -f1 -d:|sort -u);do man -k $i;done

Kind regards

--
    A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    A: The lost context.
    Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

    A: Yes.
    Q: Should I trim down the quoted part of an email to which I'm reply

http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html

Re: GNUstep

Samba - linux mailing list
No, Scott:

> You have at least one of three packages installed:-
> gnustep-examples
> gnustep-gui-runtime
> gworkspace.app
> wmaker-common

Apropos gave these results.

gnustep-examples: nothing appropriate.
gnustep-gui-runtime: nothing appropriate.
gworkspace.app: nothing appropriate.
wmaker-common: nothing appropriate.

> "apt-file update" creates a local database of files and the paths they
> are installed to by packages in repositories listed in "grep "^[^#]"
> /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}"

The following resulted.

{grep '^[^#]' /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}
No matches for wildcard “/etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}”.
fish: grep '^[^#]' /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}
                    ^
debhttp://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/  xenial main restricted
debhttp://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/  xenial-updates main restricted
debhttp://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/  xenial universe
debhttp://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/  xenial-updates universe
debhttp://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/  xenial multiverse
debhttp://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/  xenial-updates multiverse
debhttp://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/  xenial-backports main restricted universe multiverse
debhttp://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu  xenial-security main restricted
debhttp://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu  xenial-security universe
debhttp://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu  xenial-security multiverse
}

> "apt-file update" creates a local database of files and the paths they
> are installed to by packages in repositories listed in "grep "^[^#]"
> /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}"

I used synaptic to install apt-file. Then in a Terminal window, I ran
apt-file update.

> By filtering the output of "apt-file search" you can determine what
> packages could have installed those files (knowing that many packages
> stow default configuration and directory structure in /usr/lib/$Packagename)
>
> e.g.:-
> for i in Defaults Library Services;do apt-file search GNUstep/$i;done
> wmaker-common: /etc/GNUstep/Defaults/WMGLOBAL
> wmaker-common: /etc/GNUstep/Defaults/WMRootMenu
> wmaker-common: /etc/GNUstep/Defaults/WMState
> wmaker-common: /etc/GNUstep/Defaults/WMWindowAttributes
> wmaker-common: /etc/GNUstep/Defaults/WindowMaker

{
wmaker-common:: command not found
}

So I used synaptic to install wmaker-common.

But in a Terminal window, that was remarked as absent!

{
apropos wmaker-common
wmaker-common: nothing appropriate.
}

wmaker-common

So I used Synaptic to reinstall it.

Yet the same apropos test failed again. I don't understand this!

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

Re: GNUstep

Samba - linux mailing list
On 9 September 2017 at 15:18, Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) via linux
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> No, Scott:
>

>> You have at least one of three packages installed:-
>> gnustep-examples
>> gnustep-gui-runtime
>> gworkspace.app
>> wmaker-common
>

> Apropos gave these results.

apropos is for searching man pages; does Debian install those by
default? Are there even man pages under those names available?

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

Re: GNUstep

Samba - linux mailing list
Thanks, Ivan:

>>> You have at least one of three packages installed:-
>>> gnustep-examples
>>> gnustep-gui-runtime
>>> gworkspace.app
>>> wmaker-common
>>

>> Apropos gave these results.
>
> apropos is for searching man pages; does Debian install those by
> default? Are there even man pages under those names available?

Linux man pages seems to have little about them in a form that I can
understand!

https://linux.die.net/man/
--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

Re: GNUstep

Samba - linux mailing list
A cursory google yielded this -

apt-file search /path/to/file

to find out what package installs a file. Although this may not hold
for things in your home directory.

On 9 September 2017 at 16:08, Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) via linux <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Ivan:
>
> You have at least one of three packages installed:-
>>>>

>>> Apropos gave these results.
>>>

>> apropos is for searching man pages; does Debian install those by
>> default? Are there even man pages under those names available?
>>

> Linux man pages seems to have little about them in a form that I can
> understand!
>
> https://linux.die.net/man/
> --
> www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

  "I and the public know
  what all schoolchildren learn
  Those to whom evil is done
  Do evil in return" W.H. Auden, "September 1, 1939"

Re: GNUstep

Samba - linux mailing list
From http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/User/GNUstep/gnustep-filesystem_1.html#The-Users-Domain

> In the GNUstep filesystem layout (and in most other layouts too) the User domain is completely contained in a subdirectory of the user’s home directory called ‘GNUstep’.

Something using GNUstep created it.

On 09/09/17 17:34, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic via linux wrote:
> From http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/User/GNUstep/gnustep-filesystem_1.html#The-Users-Domain
>
>> In the GNUstep filesystem layout (and in most other layouts too) the User domain is completely contained in a subdirectory of the user’s home directory called ‘GNUstep’.
>
> Something using GNUstep created it.

Agreed. According to apt-file, one of three (four?) packages likely
installed it.   They/it may no longer be installed.
If they are installed, then (most) likely the man pages for them is also
installed - in which case Brian can find out what they are, and what he
wants to do with them.

> On 9 September 2017 at 17:11, Stephen Hocking <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> A cursory google yielded this -
>>
>> apt-file search /path/to/file
>>
>> to find out what package installs a file. Although this may not hold for
>> things in your home directory.

Agreed.
'Usually' linux packages put the default user config directories and
files in /usr/lib/$packagename (and sometimes /opt/$packagename), and
install a copy into ~/$packagename. Likewise /etc/$packagename
(system-wide default) with it being moved to ~/$packagename for a
user-customised default.

As apt-file doesn't tend to show the final ~/$packagename I searched for
the /usr/lib and /etc locations

>> On 9 September 2017 at 16:08, Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) via linux
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, Ivan:

I never suggested apropos Brian. It's of no use to your inquiry.
apropos simply lists packages with similar functionality to the
packagename supplied to the command.
apt-file tells you which package installed them.

>>> Linux man pages seems to have little about them in a form that I can
>>> understand!

Any man pages listed by the final command given would be the ones for
the package which installed the files/directories you enquired about.

If the command:-
for i in $(for i in Defaults Library Services;do apt-file search
GNUstep/$i;done|cut -f1 -d:|sort -u);do man -k $i;done

gives no results (or errors) then one of two situations has occurred:-
1. you no longer have the package installed that created ~/GNUstep
(though you could find out if it was previously installed with different
commands)
2. you are not using a BASH shell - which would be unusual, as it is a
"beginners" shell ([gently] unlike, say, fish, which is a power-users
shell - and power users don't need to ask basic Linux questions "like
what package installed these files?")

Kind regards

<snipped>

--
    A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    A: The lost context.
    Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read than bottom-posted?

    A: Yes.
    Q: Should I trim down the quoted part of an email to which I'm reply

http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html

Re: GNUstep

Samba - linux mailing list
Hi Stephen:

> A cursory google yielded this -
>
> |apt-file search /path/to/file
>

> |to find out what package installs a file.

I used Ubuntu Files to find gworkspace.app. Then I pointed a Terminal
session into the directory where it was. But I don't understand the
response!

{
apt-file gworkspace.app

apt-file [options] action [pattern]
apt-file [options] -f action <file>
apt-file [options] -D action <debfile>

Configuration options:
     --architecture     -a  <arch>       Use specific architecture
     --cache            -c  <dir>        Cache directory
     --cdrom-mount      -d  <cdrom>      Use specific cdrom mountpoint
     --dummy            -y               run in dummy mode (no action)
     --fixed-string     -F               Do not expand pattern
     --from-deb         -D               Use file list of .deb package(s) as
                                         patterns; implies -F
     --from-file        -f               Read patterns from file(s), one
per line
                                         (use '-' for stdin)
     --ignore-case      -i               Ignore case distinctions
     --non-interactive  -N               Skip schemes requiring user input
                                         (useful in cron jobs)
     --package-only     -l               Only display packages name
     --regexp           -x               pattern is a regular expression
     --sources-list     -s  <file>       sources.list location
     --verbose          -v               run in verbose mode
     --help             -h               Show this help.
                        --               End of options (neccessary if
pattern
                                         starts with a '-')

Action:
     update                              Fetch Contents files from
apt-sources.
     search|find        <pattern>        Search files in packages
     list|show          <pattern>        List files in packages
     purge                               Remove cache files
}

Similarly Ubuntu Files found the location of wmaker-common. So I pointed
a Terminal session there. The following resulted.

{
lightdm-gtk-greeter:
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/places/wmaker-common_badge-symbolic.svg
unity-greeter-badges:
/usr/share/unity-greeter/custom_wmaker-common_badge.png
wmaker-common: /usr/share/doc/wmaker-common/AUTHORS.gz
wmaker-common: /usr/share/doc/wmaker-common/BUGFORM
wmaker-common: /usr/share/doc/wmaker-common/BUGS
wmaker-common: /usr/share/doc/wmaker-common/DebianLegacy.txt
wmaker-common: /usr/share/doc/wmaker-common/FAQ.gz
wmaker-common: /usr/share/doc/wmaker-common/NEWS.gz
wmaker-common: /usr/share/doc/wmaker-common/README.gz
wmaker-common: /usr/share/doc/wmaker-common/TODO
wmaker-common: /usr/share/doc/wmaker-common/changelog.Debian.gz
wmaker-common: /usr/share/doc/wmaker-common/copyright
wmaker-common: /usr/share/doc/wmaker-common/wm-oldmenu2new.gz
wmaker-common: /usr/share/lintian/overrides/wmaker-common
wmaker-common: /usr/share/xsessions/wmaker-common.desktop
}
--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

Re: GNUstep

Samba - linux mailing list
Thanks, Scott:

> I never suggested apropos Brian.

But my repertoire of Linux programs is limited!

> If the command:-
> for i in $(for i in Defaults Library Services;do apt-file search
> GNUstep/$i;done|cut -f1 -d:|sort -u);do man -k $i;done
>
> gives no results (or errors) then one of two situations has occurred:-
> 1. you no longer have the package installed that created ~/GNUstep
> (though you could find out if it was previously installed with different
> commands)

In bash, this...
{
for i in $(for i in Defaults Library Services;do apt-file search
GNUstep/$i;done|cut -f1 -d:|sort -u);do man -k $i;done
}
...resulted as follows.
{
gnustep-examples: nothing appropriate.
gnustep-gui-runtime: nothing appropriate.
gworkspace.app: nothing appropriate.
wmaker-common: nothing appropriate.
}

> 2. you are not using a BASH shell - which would be unusual, as it is a
> "beginners" shell ([gently] unlike, say, fish, which is a power-users
> shell - and power users don't need to ask basic Linux questions "like
> what package installed these files?")

Whereas fish highlighted red:
        `$';
        `do'; and
        `done'.
Then it reported thus.
{
Missing end to balance this for loop
fish: for i in $(for i in Defaults Library Services;do apt-file search
GNUstep/$i;done|cut -f1 -d:|sort -u);do man -k $i;done
                  ^
}

I understood that Linux users in general were deemed to be experts!
Though the fish shell documentation states as follows. Which is why I
began with fish.

"This is the documentation for fish, the friendly interactive shell.
fish is a user friendly commandline shell intended mostly for
interactive use."

http://fishshell.com/docs/current/index.html
--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

Re: GNUstep

Samba - linux mailing list
On 9 September 2017 at 22:33, Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) via linux
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Scott:

>> I never suggested apropos Brian.
>

> But my repertoire of Linux programs is limited!

It may be better in cases like this then to know what the tools you
are familiar with actually do, and if you aren't sure how to do
something search the internet or ask rather than randomly trying to
munge commands together.

>> If the command:-
>> for i in $(for i in Defaults Library Services;do apt-file search
>> GNUstep/$i;done|cut -f1 -d:|sort -u);do man -k $i;done
>>
>> gives no results (or errors) then one of two situations has occurred:-
>> 1. you no longer have the package installed that created ~/GNUstep
>> (though you could find out if it was previously installed with different
>> commands)
>

> In bash, this...
> {
> for i in $(for i in Defaults Library Services;do apt-file search
> GNUstep/$i;done|cut -f1 -d:|sort -u);do man -k $i;done
> }
> ...resulted as follows.
> {
> gnustep-examples: nothing appropriate.
> gnustep-gui-runtime: nothing appropriate.
> gworkspace.app: nothing appropriate.
> wmaker-common: nothing appropriate.
> }

Which means they aren't installed _now_, not that you never had them
installed (admittedly my apt-fu is limited, as the closest interaction
I have with Debian-based systems is using Ubuntu Docker images).

>> 2. you are not using a BASH shell - which would be unusual, as it is a
>> "beginners" shell ([gently] unlike, say, fish, which is a power-users
>> shell - and power users don't need to ask basic Linux questions "like
>> what package installed these files?")
>

> Whereas fish highlighted red:
>         `$';
>         `do'; and
>         `done'.
> Then it reported thus.
> {
> Missing end to balance this for loop
> fish: for i in $(for i in Defaults Library Services;do apt-file search
> GNUstep/$i;done|cut -f1 -d:|sort -u);do man -k $i;done
>                  ^
> }

Yes, because fish uses different syntax.  sh-based shells (usually
bash) are typically the lingua fraca of shell-based commands as so
much of your system uses it (random shell scripts that do things,
etc.).

> I understood that Linux users in general were deemed to be experts!

It is a semi-truism from people running GNU/Linux systems typically
being more wiling to tinker and know their system rather than just
using it as an appliance.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

Re: GNUstep

Samba - linux mailing list
Stephen,

Really useful tool - thanks very much.

I’ve mucked around with 'dpkg -L' and 'dpkg -S' previously. lots of work.

Currently doing a little thing where this is exactly what I need: identifying packages for ~300 std commands.

cheers
steve

> On 9 Sep 2017, at 17:11, Stephen Hocking via linux <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> A cursory google yielded this -
>
> apt-file search /path/to/file
>
> to find out what package installs a file. Although this may not hold
> for things in your home directory.

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)

mailto:[hidden email] http://members.tip.net.au/~sjenkin

Re: GNUstep

Samba - linux mailing list
On 11/09/17 14:31, steve jenkin via linux wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> Really useful tool - thanks very much.
>
> I’ve mucked around with 'dpkg -L' and 'dpkg -S' previously. lots of work.
>
> Currently doing a little thing where this is exactly what I need: identifying packages for ~300 std commands.
>
> cheers
> steve

I use dpkg -S because it is already there by default (on standard
Debian systems) and just works - apt-file needs to be installed...
on each machine you need it on... lots in my case...

cheers,

Bob Edwards.

On 09/09/17 17:11, Stephen Hocking via linux wrote:
> A cursory google yielded this -
>
> apt-file search /path/to/file
>
> to find out what package installs a file. Although this may not hold
> for things in your home directory.

And for the fedora folk:

$ dnf provides /bin/sh
bash-4.4.12-7.fc26.x86_64 : The GNU Bourne Again shell
Repo        : @System

bash-4.4.12-7.fc26.x86_64 : The GNU Bourne Again shell
Repo        : updates

bash-4.4.12-5.fc26.x86_64 : The GNU Bourne Again shell
Repo        : fedora

$ dnf provides '*/ls'
coreutils-8.27-6.fc26.x86_64 : A set of basic GNU tools commonly used in shell scripts
Repo        : @System

coreutils-8.27-5.fc26.x86_64 : A set of basic GNU tools commonly used in shell scripts
Repo        : fedora

$ dnf repoquery --list coreutils
/usr/bin/[
/usr/bin/arch
/usr/bin/b2sum
/usr/bin/base32
/usr/bin/base64
/usr/bin/basename

Eyal

> On 9 September 2017 at 16:08, Bryan Kilgallin (iiNet) via linux <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Ivan:
>>
>> You have at least one of three packages installed:-

>>> apropos is for searching man pages; does Debian install those by
>>> default? Are there even man pages under those names available?
>>>

>> Linux man pages seems to have little about them in a form that I can
>> understand!
>>
>> https://linux.die.net/man/
>> --
>> www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/