Fwd: Support for Samba

Samba - General mailing list
Hi

We are running the latest 4.6.7 Sernet samba packages on a Ubuntu 12.02 LTS
servers with one PDC and 05 RODC's located at the branches. The sysvol
replication is working fine from the PDC to the RODC's but the RODC's are
failing to login the local clients when the link between the branch and the
Main campus is offline. The branch computers and users are added into the
Allowed Password Replication Group and I have manually replicated the user
and computer into the RODC with the samba-tool rodc preload command but
when I login into the WIN 7 client PC it fails to logon with an error "THE
PARAMETER IS INCORRECT"

Can anyone help to find out the solution to fix this issue.

Thanks n Regards

*Harsh Kukreja *Systems Administrator
*International University of Namibia *Tel: 061-4336000 - E-mail: h.kukreja
@ium.edu.na - Web:
*http://www.ium.edu.na <http://www.ium.edu.na/>*Private Bag
14005,Bachbrech. 21-31 Hercules Street, Dorado Park, Windhoek, NAMIBIA

Re: Fwd: Support for Samba

Samba - General mailing list
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 14:43:44 +0200
Harsh Kukreja via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> We are running the latest 4.6.7 Sernet samba packages on a Ubuntu
> 12.02 LTS servers with one PDC and 05 RODC's located at the branches.
> The sysvol replication is working fine from the PDC to the RODC's but
> the RODC's are failing to login the local clients when the link
> between the branch and the Main campus is offline. The branch
> computers and users are added into the Allowed Password Replication
> Group and I have manually replicated the user and computer into the
> RODC with the samba-tool rodc preload command but when I login into
> the WIN 7 client PC it fails to logon with an error "THE PARAMETER IS
> INCORRECT"
>
> Can anyone help to find out the solution to fix this issue.

I take it you mean Ubuntu 12.04, this is now EOL, so you should upgrade
this and then await the release of Samba 4.7.0. You should not use any
supported Samba release as an RODC yet, this will change with the
release of Samba 4.7.0

Re: Fwd: Support for Samba

Samba - General mailing list
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 16:57:43 +0200
"Kukreja H.Kukreja" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rowland
>
> Thanks for your response.  I like to know before doing the release
> upgrade of Ubuntu from 12.0.1 to 14 LTS if this will effect the
> running configuration of samba.

It shouldn't , but as always, you should back everything up before
upgrading.

> When is the samba 4.7.0 going to release? I checked on the sernet+ the
> 4.7.0 package is available for testing so can I upgrade my 4.6.7 to
> 4.7 and use it in production.

It is planned for the 21st of September.
When Sernet will have packages is down to them. but I would expect them
fairly soon afterwards.

Re: Fwd: Support for Samba

On Tue, 2017-09-12 at 14:43 +0200, Harsh Kukreja via samba wrote:

> Hi
>
> We are running the latest 4.6.7 Sernet samba packages on a Ubuntu 12.02 LTS
> servers with one PDC and 05 RODC's located at the branches. The sysvol
> replication is working fine from the PDC to the RODC's but the RODC's are
> failing to login the local clients when the link between the branch and the
> Main campus is offline. The branch computers and users are added into the
> Allowed Password Replication Group and I have manually replicated the user
> and computer into the RODC with the samba-tool rodc preload command but
> when I login into the WIN 7 client PC it fails to logon with an error "THE
> PARAMETER IS INCORRECT"

RODCs are not supported by Samba 4.6.  We are very sorry you had the
impression this was a functional feature.

There are numerous serious issues with both the RODC and DC side of
things.

Samba 4.7 addresses most of these issues and limitations, however
careful testing is required, and we hope to take on more work in this
area for a future release (likely 4.9).