Fwd: Re: Samba AD Manage User, set unix passwd

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Fwd: Re: Samba AD Manage User, set unix passwd

Samba - General mailing list
I need the unix password for mail. the user should not be able to change
this, if win* password is changed.

In the wiki i have read that you should not mix RSAT and samba-tool
management, thats why i ask.

is there a way to set a unix password after a domain user is created?

 On 20.03.2017 20:45, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 20:38:09 +0100
> basti via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a Samba AD and use RSAT to manage Users how can I set unix
>> password? Should I use samba-tool for that?
>>
> What do you need the Unix password for?
> If you make your windows users to be also Unix users, then the windows
> password is also the Unix password.
>
> Rowland
>
>
>


--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Fwd: Re: Samba AD Manage User, set unix passwd

Samba - General mailing list
On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 21:17:00 +0100
basti via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I need the unix password for mail. the user should not be able to
> change this, if win* password is changed.

Most Linux mailservers should be able to authenticate with the AD
password, but I suppose you could use the Unix password.

>
> In the wiki i have read that you should not mix RSAT and samba-tool
> management, thats why i ask.

Where does it say this ?

>
> is there a way to set a unix password after a domain user is created?
>

I think you are going to have to write your own script around
ldbmodify/ldapmodify and the unixUserPassword attribute

Rowland
 

--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Fwd: Re: Samba AD Manage User, set unix passwd

Samba - General mailing list
I found this one
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2015-September/194133.html
It's a good point of start.
thank you rowland.


On 20.03.2017 21:37, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 21:17:00 +0100
> basti via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I need the unix password for mail. the user should not be able to
>> change this, if win* password is changed.
> Most Linux mailservers should be able to authenticate with the AD
> password, but I suppose you could use the Unix password.
>
>> In the wiki i have read that you should not mix RSAT and samba-tool
>> management, thats why i ask.
> Where does it say this ?
>
>> is there a way to set a unix password after a domain user is created?
>>
> I think you are going to have to write your own script around
> ldbmodify/ldapmodify and the unixUserPassword attribute
>
> Rowland
>  
>


--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Fwd: Re: Samba AD Manage User, set unix passwd

Samba - General mailing list
Hello, as is the link I have set a unix password.

add: unixUserPassword
unixUserPassword: ABCD!efgh12345$67890 # dummy unix password that ADUC
gives to all Unix users

But I can't login with this pass. Is this password clear-text? must it
be a hash?
Is there a way to config winbind to use this ldap attribute?

Basti

On 20.03.2017 22:10, basti via samba wrote:

> I found this one
> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2015-September/194133.html
> It's a good point of start.
> thank you rowland.
>
>
> On 20.03.2017 21:37, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 21:17:00 +0100
>> basti via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I need the unix password for mail. the user should not be able to
>>> change this, if win* password is changed.
>> Most Linux mailservers should be able to authenticate with the AD
>> password, but I suppose you could use the Unix password.
>>
>>> In the wiki i have read that you should not mix RSAT and samba-tool
>>> management, thats why i ask.
>> Where does it say this ?
>>
>>> is there a way to set a unix password after a domain user is created?
>>>
>> I think you are going to have to write your own script around
>> ldbmodify/ldapmodify and the unixUserPassword attribute
>>
>> Rowland
>>  
>>
>
>

--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Fwd: Re: Samba AD Manage User, set unix passwd

Samba - General mailing list
On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 11:14:40 +0200
basti via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, as is the link I have set a unix password.
>
> add: unixUserPassword
> unixUserPassword: ABCD!efgh12345$67890 # dummy unix password that ADUC
> gives to all Unix users
>
> But I can't login with this pass. Is this password clear-text? must it
> be a hash?
> Is there a way to config winbind to use this ldap attribute?
>

You didn't actually use 'ABCD!efgh12345$67890' as the password ?

It is, as it says, a dummy password and if you add the Unix attributes
with ADUC, this is what you get for every user.

You will need to supply the password in what ever way the service you
are going to use it for requires i.e. SSHA

You will also need to tell what ever service it is, how to get the
password

If Dovecot is involved, you can set this up to use the users AD
password.

Rowland
 



--
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba
Loading...