FreeBSD-11 Samba44 DNS

Samba - General mailing list
I touched the two missing files

/var/db/samba4/private/dns_update_list
/var/db/samba4/private/spn_update_list

And restarted the Samba44 service.  This is what I see now:

[2017/02/09 15:48:47.507874,  0]
../source4/smbd/server.c:372(binary_smbd_main)
  samba version 4.4.8 started.
  Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2016
[2017/02/09 15:48:47.922389,  0]
../source4/smbd/server.c:481(binary_smbd_main)
  samba: using 'standard' process model
[2017/02/09 15:48:47.952177,  0]
../lib/util/become_daemon.c:124(daemon_ready)
  STATUS=daemon 'samba' finished starting up and ready to serve
connections
[2017/02/09 15:48:48.140769,  0]
../source4/smbd/service_task.c:35(task_server_terminate)
  task_server_terminate: [Failed to obtain server credentials, perhaps
a standalone server?: NT_STATUS_CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO
  ]
[2017/02/09 15:48:48.148810,  0]
../source4/smbd/server.c:211(samba_terminate)
  samba_terminate: Failed to obtain server credentials, perhaps a
standalone server?: NT_STATUS_CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO

[2017/02/09 15:48:49.385050,  0]
../source4/winbind/winbindd.c:47(winbindd_done)
  winbindd daemon died with exit status 1
[2017/02/09 15:48:49.386525,  0]
../source4/smbd/service_task.c:35(task_server_terminate)
  task_server_terminate: [winbindd child process exited]

SO, the DNS service is terminating in an error state.  What I cannot
tell is why it is happening and whether or not this is expected
behaviour for a stand-alone server.  I have not attempted to join this
server to the domain and do not intend doing so until I have
identified and resolved all of the currently evident problems.

Comments welcomed.

--
***          e-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel          ***

James B. Byrne                mailto:[hidden email]
Harte & Lyne Limited          http://www.harte-lyne.ca
9 Brockley Drive              vox: +1 905 561 1241
Hamilton, Ontario             fax: +1 905 561 0757
Canada  L8E 3C3

Re: FreeBSD-11 Samba44 DNS

Samba - General mailing list
On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 16:48:09 -0500
"James B. Byrne via samba" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I touched the two missing files
>
> /var/db/samba4/private/dns_update_list
> /var/db/samba4/private/spn_update_list
>
> And restarted the Samba44 service.  This is what I see now:
>
> [2017/02/09 15:48:47.507874,  0]
> ../source4/smbd/server.c:372(binary_smbd_main)
>   samba version 4.4.8 started.
>   Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2016
> [2017/02/09 15:48:47.922389,  0]
> ../source4/smbd/server.c:481(binary_smbd_main)
>   samba: using 'standard' process model
> [2017/02/09 15:48:47.952177,  0]
> ../lib/util/become_daemon.c:124(daemon_ready)
>   STATUS=daemon 'samba' finished starting up and ready to serve
> connections
> [2017/02/09 15:48:48.140769,  0]
> ../source4/smbd/service_task.c:35(task_server_terminate)
>   task_server_terminate: [Failed to obtain server credentials, perhaps
> a standalone server?: NT_STATUS_CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO
>   ]
> [2017/02/09 15:48:48.148810,  0]
> ../source4/smbd/server.c:211(samba_terminate)
>   samba_terminate: Failed to obtain server credentials, perhaps a
> standalone server?: NT_STATUS_CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO
>
> [2017/02/09 15:48:49.385050,  0]
> ../source4/winbind/winbindd.c:47(winbindd_done)
>   winbindd daemon died with exit status 1
> [2017/02/09 15:48:49.386525,  0]
> ../source4/smbd/service_task.c:35(task_server_terminate)
>   task_server_terminate: [winbindd child process exited]
>
> SO, the DNS service is terminating in an error state.  What I cannot
> tell is why it is happening and whether or not this is expected
> behaviour for a stand-alone server.  I have not attempted to join this
> server to the domain and do not intend doing so until I have
> identified and resolved all of the currently evident problems.
>
> Comments welcomed.

Can I suggest you run the provision again, but this time like this:

samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307 --interactive

Re: FreeBSD-11 Samba44 DNS

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 20:17:11 -0500
"James B. Byrne" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does this mean that I have missed a step in provisioning? Or does it
> mean there is a defect in the packaging for FreeBSD?

I am wondering if you have actually fully provisioned. I have tried to
provision samba44 and, for some reason, it will not run the
provision command unless I run it interactively and when I do, it
segfaults.

Re: FreeBSD-11 Samba44 DNS

> On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 20:17:11 -0500
> "James B. Byrne" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Does this mean that I have missed a step in provisioning? Or does it
>> mean there is a defect in the packaging for FreeBSD?
>>

> I am wondering if you have actually fully provisioned. I have tried to
> provision samba44 and, for some reason, it will not run the
> provision command unless I run it interactively and when I do, it
> segfaults.
>
> Rowland

I also tried now to install and provision both samba43 and samba44 on
FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p7. With samba43 it worked successfully (it had
this problem previously, too). As for samba44, I could provision it on
an i386 architecture, but on amd64 it segfaulted as usually.

When built from source, 4.4.9 doesn't segfault at provisioning on either
architecture, so that's what I use for now.

Alnis

Re: FreeBSD-11 Samba44 DNS

Samba - General mailing list
On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 17:46:23 +0200
Alnis Morics via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I also tried now to install and provision both samba43 and samba44 on
> FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p7. With samba43 it worked successfully (it had
> this problem previously, too). As for samba44, I could provision it
> on an i386 architecture, but on amd64 it segfaulted as usually.
>
> When built from source, 4.4.9 doesn't segfault at provisioning on
> either architecture, so that's what I use for now.

That's interesting, I never thought to ask the OP what arch he was
using and if he mentioned it, I never noticed.

I have managed to provision a DC in an x86_64 VM using samba43, but
using samba44, it segfaults