Finding specific files/directories from a remote rsync server.

Finding specific files/directories from a remote rsync server.

Hongyi Zhao
Hi all,

Suppose I have remote rsync server, named as: rsync.example.net.  And I
want to finding some specific files/directories from it.

To do this, I must let my local rsync client to do a traversing among all
of its modules and the corresponding sub-directories.  Say, if I want to
find all of the `foo/file' on this rsync server, i.e., a file named file
which is located under the foo directory.  How can I do this thing within
bash/shell script with the invoking on rsync client?

Regards
--
.: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :.

Re: Finding specific files/directories from a remote rsync server.

Wayne Davison-2
On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 4:11 PM, Hongyi Zhao <[hidden email]> wrote:
Say, if I want to find all of the `foo/file' on this rsync server

You'd use filter (include/exclude) rules.  See in the man page about its notes on how rsync requires you to include all directories in order to traverse the tree and you'd end up with something like this:

rsync -aiv --include=foo/file --include='*/' --exclude='*' rsync.example.net::module/ /dest/

You might also try using --prune-empty-dirs.

..wayne..

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 09:44:56 -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:

> You'd use filter (include/exclude) rules.  See in the man page about its
> notes on how rsync requires you to include all directories in order to
> traverse the tree and you'd end up with something like this:
>
> rsync -aiv --include=foo/file --include='*/' --exclude='*'
> rsync.example.net::module/ /dest/
>
> You might also try using --prune-empty-dirs.
>
> ..wayne..

Thanks a lot for your hints.

Regards
--
.: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :.

Re: Finding specific files/directories from a remote rsync server.

Hongyi Zhao
On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 09:44:56 -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:

> rsync -aiv --include=foo/file --include='*/' --exclude='*'
> rsync.example.net::module/ /dest/

Another issue is as follows:  if I have known that the `foo/file' is
located under some sub-directories  under a folder named `bar' in in the
module's directory, in this case, I want to save the time for only
searching into all of the sub-directories of rsync.example.net::module/
bar/.  Then what's revision should be done on the --include='*/' to adapt
for this case?

Regards