Filename extensions

Samba - linux mailing list
Is it good practice to continue doing this? Or rather might I dispense
with that historical practice? I send copies of some into the wild.
Would lack of ".txt" or ".jpg" cause problems to users of desktop
Windows or a mobile phone?
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/

Re: Filename extensions

Samba - linux mailing list
On 9 November 2017 at 00:36, Bryan Kilgallin via linux
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is it good practice to continue doing this? Or rather might I dispense with
> that historical practice? I send copies of some into the wild. Would lack of
> ".txt" or ".jpg" cause problems to users of desktop Windows or a mobile
> phone?

As a specific counter-example, consider how to differentiate between
types of text files (for syntax highlighting, knowing which
programming/markup language was used, etc.) if you didn't have file
extensions.

They may not be needed (especially in the case of binary files with
appropriate magic numbers) by software to display them, but are useful
for humans who are looking at a bunch of files to know what they all
are.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]