Excel shared spreadsheets behavior

Samba - General mailing list
Hello everyone

I trying find what it happens on my Samba AD servers especially with shared spreadsheets, my personal opinion this feature on Excel is crap and unreliable but many people use it, how does Samba currently behave with this ? Is someone experienced any problem with this ? Frequently happens changes made by other user are lost the spreadsheet opens as read only , the shares are all using vfs_acl_xattr module to mimic NTFS permissions, clients are all windows machines versions 7 and 10 , i upgraded samba 4.3.11 to 4.5.7 but both have the same behavior.

Re: Excel shared spreadsheets behavior

Samba - General mailing list
Even on pure Windows file servers you cannot effectively have simultaneous
read/write for multiple users. I may have had 2 simultaneous users work one
time for a few minutes. But it is not stable. So not even a microsoft
server can do it.

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 8:58 AM, Dante F. B. Colò via samba <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone
>
> I trying find what it happens on my Samba AD servers especially with
> shared spreadsheets, my personal opinion this feature on Excel is crap and
> unreliable but many people use it, how does Samba currently behave with
> this ? Is someone experienced any problem with this ? Frequently happens
> changes made by other user are lost the spreadsheet opens as read only ,
> the shares are all using vfs_acl_xattr module to mimic NTFS permissions,
> clients are all windows machines versions 7 and 10 , i upgraded samba
> 4.3.11 to 4.5.7 but both have the same behavior.

David Bear
mobile: (602) 903-6476

Re: Excel shared spreadsheets behavior

Samba - General mailing list
Hi David

Thanks you for reply, are you sure about this? Windows and Samba SMB byte range locking feature doesn't allow this by locking regions of a single file ?

Re: Excel shared spreadsheets behavior

Samba - General mailing list
We try it all the time in my classroom. We can never get 2 simultaneous r/w
accesses on the same file. The second person always gets the notification
to open a copy, or receive notification when the file becomes available.

We are using windows server 2008. windows 7 clients. excel 2013.

I've never seen a reliable simultaneous access.

--
David Bear
mobile: (602) 903-6476