Error copying files with extended attributes to Windows clients

Error copying files with extended attributes to Windows clients

Samba - General mailing list
When copying files to a Windows 10 client, an error is thrown if the
file has extended attributes. In this case, the files were all created
by an OS X client with netatalk.

I'm using Samba from the Ubuntu 16.04 repository, which is currently
4.3.11+dfsg-0ubuntu0.16.04.11.

In my smb.conf:

# Netatalk configuration
vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
fruit:encoding = native
streams_xattr:store_stream_type = no
streams_xattr:prefix = user.

ea support = Yes

Windows Explorer initially copies the file data, but throws "Element not
found" at the end.

On the server:

[2017/10/01 10:10:09.695888,  0] ../source3/smbd/open.c:1202(open_file)
  Error doing fstat on open file Ekahau
  Heatmapper-Setup.exe:com.apple.metadata"kMDItemWhereFroms (No data
  available)

$ getfattr Ekahau\ Heatmapper-Setup.exe
# file: Ekahau Heatmapper-Setup.exe
user.com.apple.metadata:kMDItemDownloadedDate
user.com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms
user.com.apple.quarantine
user.org.netatalk.Metadata

If I remove the extended attributes, or turn off 'ea support', I can
copy the file as expected. Is this expected? I assumed that either
extended attributes would be copied to the client, or they would be
removed automatically if they aren't. Or, is this just a Windows 10 bug?

  Andrew Berry

Re: Error copying files with extended attributes to Windows clients

Samba - General mailing list
On Sun, Oct 01, 2017 at 10:18:00AM -0400, Andrew Berry via samba wrote:

> When copying files to a Windows 10 client, an error is thrown if the
> file has extended attributes. In this case, the files were all created
> by an OS X client with netatalk.
>
> I'm using Samba from the Ubuntu 16.04 repository, which is currently
> 4.3.11+dfsg-0ubuntu0.16.04.11.
>
> In my smb.conf:
>
> # Netatalk configuration
> vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
> fruit:encoding = native
> streams_xattr:store_stream_type = no
> streams_xattr:prefix = user.

this combination is not use much, so there's a good chance there's a bug
somewhere.

Can you test with a later release please? There's a chance that it might work
there. If not, please file a bugreport so we can track this.

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team       https://samba.org/
Samba Developer, SerNet GmbH   https://sernet.de/en/samba/

Re: Error copying files with extended attributes to Windows clients

Samba - General mailing list
I just upgraded to 4.7.1 to fix an unrelated bug with deleting
directories for OS X clients, and it looks like this bug has been fixed
too. I re-enabled ea support, and copies work. It does look like some
attrs are lost in the process, but that's probably because they are
larger than some NTFS limit?

 getfattr vlc-2.2.2.dmg
# file: vlc-2.2.2.dmg
user.com.apple.diskimages.fsck
user.com.apple.diskimages.recentcksum
user.com.apple.metadata:kMDItemDownloadedDate
user.com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms
user.com.apple.quarantine
user.org.netatalk.Metadata

# Copied the file off the share and back with Windows 10 Explorer

$ getfattr vlc-2.2.2-copied.dmg
# file: vlc-2.2.2-copied.dmg

On Sun, Nov 05, 2017 at 07:03:28AM -0500, Andrew Berry wrote:

> I just upgraded to 4.7.1 to fix an unrelated bug with deleting
> directories for OS X clients, and it looks like this bug has been fixed
> too. I re-enabled ea support, and copies work. It does look like some
> attrs are lost in the process, but that's probably because they are
> larger than some NTFS limit?
>
>  getfattr vlc-2.2.2.dmg
> # file: vlc-2.2.2.dmg
> user.com.apple.diskimages.fsck
> user.com.apple.diskimages.recentcksum
> user.com.apple.metadata:kMDItemDownloadedDate
> user.com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms
> user.com.apple.quarantine
> user.org.netatalk.Metadata
>
> # Copied the file off the share and back with Windows 10 Explorer
>
> $ getfattr vlc-2.2.2-copied.dmg
> # file: vlc-2.2.2-copied.dmg
> user.COM.APPLE.DISKIMAGES.FSCK
> user.COM.APPLE.DISKIMAGES.RECENTCKSUM
> user.COM.APPLE.QUARANTINE
> user.ORG.NETATALK.METADATA

looks like it's now silently skipping xattrs with a colon in their name instead
of erroring out.

Also, why on earth are the parts of the xattr names after the user namespace
prefix all uppercased?

-slow

On Sun, Nov 5, 2017, at 07:26 AM, Ralph Böhme wrote:

> looks like it's now silently skipping xattrs with a colon in their name
> instead
> of erroring out.
>
> Also, why on earth are the parts of the xattr names after the user
> namespace
> prefix all uppercased?

I'm trying to find out how Windows is storing the attrs to see if it's
responsible for skipping the colons and the doing the uppercasing, or if
this is somehow a Samba bug. When I run:

dir /r | find ":$"

I don't see any attrs on the test file. Any ideas?

--Andrew