Quantcast

End-of-life

Samba - linux mailing list
My old PC runs Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS Precise Pangolin, whose end of life
date is April 28, 2017.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

How urgently do I need to discontinue using it?
--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

Re: End-of-life

Samba - linux mailing list
Hello Brian

Really depends how paranoid you want to be.

I have a Linux 2.2 system still running 24x7 live on the net originally
installed in 2000 - Yes that's 17 years almost non stop.

It really depends what you are doing with it and how much of a honey pot
it is.

The ASD security people who write the ISM will advise turning it off
immediately, even though they don't do that to their own equipment.

NeilP

On 16/04/2017 12:20 AM, Bryan Kilgallin via linux wrote:
> My old PC runs Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS Precise Pangolin, whose end of life
> date is April 28, 2017.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
>
> How urgently do I need to discontinue using it?

Re: End-of-life

Samba - linux mailing list
Thanks, Neil:

> The ASD security people who write the ISM will advise turning it off
> immediately, even though they don't do that to their own equipment.

Please expand those initialisms.

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/

Re: End-of-life

Samba - linux mailing list

Sent from a mobile device, please confirm any errors or omissions
> On 16 Apr 2017, at 8:03 pm, Bryan Kilgallin via linux <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Neil:
>
>> The ASD security people who write the ISM will advise turning it off
>> immediately, even though they don't do that to their own equipment.
>
> Please expand those initialisms.

According to google, ASD is the acronym or the Australian Signals Directorate, what used to known as the Defence Signals Directorate, the main signals intelligence agency of the Australian government.

Also according to google, the ISM is the acronym for the Information security Manual, an ASD (see above) publication that explains how to secure government systems to the highest standard.

Re: End-of-life

Samba - linux mailing list
Hi Brian,

Further to Neil's comments, it really depends what you use it for and
how "connected" it is. The main reason for wanting to run a "supported"
version of your O/S is to get future security-related updates, of which
there will likely be many.

The main security "attack vector" will be the Internet. A secondary
vector will be copying files etc. from random USB and other media.

If your machine is behind a (supported) firewall etc. (and has no WiFi
connections of its own) then it should be fine.

If it's a server, offering Internet-facing services with encryption
etc., then you should seriously consider upgrading at least the O/S
to Ubuntu 14.04 or 16.04.

If you use it as a desktop for browsing the web etc., again, you should
upgrade it, or disable flash, java, javascript etc. etc.

Just some thoughts.

Bob Edwards.

On 16/04/17 18:12, Neil Pickford via linux wrote:

> Hello Brian
>
> Really depends how paranoid you want to be.
>
> I have a Linux 2.2 system still running 24x7 live on the net originally
> installed in 2000 - Yes that's 17 years almost non stop.
>
> It really depends what you are doing with it and how much of a honey pot
> it is.
>
> The ASD security people who write the ISM will advise turning it off
> immediately, even though they don't do that to their own equipment.
>
> NeilP
>
> On 16/04/2017 12:20 AM, Bryan Kilgallin via linux wrote:
>> My old PC runs Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS Precise Pangolin, whose end of life
>> date is April 28, 2017.
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
>>
>> How urgently do I need to discontinue using it?

Re: End-of-life

Samba - linux mailing list
Hi Brian,

I'm not an Ubuntu user but I am informed that Ubuntu (now, if not
earlier) has a mechanism for upgrading an installed version to the next
release.  It would be more or less essential to go incrementally ie
12.04 > 12.10 > 13.04 etc, in order to avoid clashes between
incompatible configs.

http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/releases/ does not have all
the intermediate releases, but you might get by.

Cheers,

Rod

On 18/04/17 10:05, Bob Edwards via linux wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> Further to Neil's comments, it really depends what you use it for and
> how "connected" it is. The main reason for wanting to run a "supported"
> version of your O/S is to get future security-related updates, of which
> there will likely be many.
>
> The main security "attack vector" will be the Internet. A secondary
> vector will be copying files etc. from random USB and other media.
>
> If your machine is behind a (supported) firewall etc. (and has no WiFi
> connections of its own) then it should be fine.
>
> If it's a server, offering Internet-facing services with encryption
> etc., then you should seriously consider upgrading at least the O/S
> to Ubuntu 14.04 or 16.04.
>
> If you use it as a desktop for browsing the web etc., again, you should
> upgrade it, or disable flash, java, javascript etc. etc.
>
> Just some thoughts.
>
> Bob Edwards.
>
> On 16/04/17 18:12, Neil Pickford via linux wrote:
>> Hello Brian
>>
>> Really depends how paranoid you want to be.
>>
>> I have a Linux 2.2 system still running 24x7 live on the net originally
>> installed in 2000 - Yes that's 17 years almost non stop.
>>
>> It really depends what you are doing with it and how much of a honey pot
>> it is.
>>
>> The ASD security people who write the ISM will advise turning it off
>> immediately, even though they don't do that to their own equipment.
>>
>> NeilP
>>
>> On 16/04/2017 12:20 AM, Bryan Kilgallin via linux wrote:
>>> My old PC runs Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS Precise Pangolin, whose end of life
>>> date is April 28, 2017.
>>>
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
>>>
>>> How urgently do I need to discontinue using it?

Re: End-of-life

Samba - linux mailing list

Hi CLUGers.

This requires further investigation but as far as I know it might be safer to stick to the Long Term Support (LTS) releases and go 12.04 > 14.04 > 16.04 and skip the non-LTS releases.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_version_history

Cheers, Ian Matters
---