ERROR: missing backlink attribute 'memberOf'

ERROR: missing backlink attribute 'memberOf'

Samba - General mailing list
Good Morning (or not),

I am running three Samba AD DCs all at version 4.7.2 on Ubuntu 16.04.
All three have run flawlessly for over a year.
Last night one of the DCs started failing Replication with both the
other DCs so I decided to run samba-tool dbcheck .
Resulting in several:

ERROR: orphaned backlink attribute 'memberOf' in CN=Annamarie
Foyles,CN=Users,DC=cy,DC=cybernetics,DC=com for link member in CN=CY
Folder Redirect (Win 7),CN=Users,DC=cy,DC=cybernetics,DC=com
Not removing orphaned backlink memberOf

ERROR: orphaned backlink attribute 'memberOf' in CN=Darran T.
Price,CN=Users,DC=cy,DC=cybernetics,DC=com for link member in CN=CY
Folder Redirect (Win 7),CN=Users,DC=cy,DC=cybernetics,DC=com
Not removing orphaned backlink memberOf

So I ran samba-tool dbcheck --fix which fixed a few of them and actually
got the replications working again, But there are several of those same
errors on all three DCs.  I have searched the list and see that the
cause of the Backlink removal error has been fixed in version 4.7.1 but
the db needs to be cleaned manually.  Just to let you know,  samba-tool
dbcheck --cross-ncs passed with no errors following the upgrade to
4.7.0, 4.7.1 and 4.7.2 so i'm not sure how the errors are here now.

MY QUESTION IS: Could anyone provide me with the directions I need to
use to safely manually remove the troubled orphaned backlink attributes
so the DCs are happy again.  At the moment everything is working fine, I
just need to get the db healthy.

Probably not needed but my smb.conf is posted below:

[global]
         netbios name = CY-DC
         realm = CY.DOMAIN.COM
         workgroup = CY
         server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc,
drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
         idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
         idmap config CY:unix_nss_info = yes
         ldap server require strong auth = no
         allow dns updates = nonsecure and secure
         log level = 2

# stops cups errors in log file
         load printers = no
         printing = bsd
         printcap name = /dev/null
         disable spoolss = yes

[netlogon]
         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/cy.domain.com/scripts
         read only = No

[sysvol]
         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
         read only = No

Thank you all for this wonderful product and your help.

Re: ERROR: missing backlink attribute 'memberOf'

Samba - General mailing list
On Wed, 6 Dec 2017 10:16:54 -0500
Bob Thomas via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> MY QUESTION IS: Could anyone provide me with the directions I need to
> use to safely manually remove the troubled orphaned backlink
> attributes so the DCs are happy again.  At the moment everything is
> working fine, I just need to get the db healthy.

Good afternoon (well it is here)  ;-)

Very easy to remove the back links, stop looking at them, or to put it
another way, just ignore them, they will go away eventually.

It seems that these links have always been there, but Samba didn't
show, then a patch was applied to fix something else, a by product of
this patch was that Samba now shows the back links. It is hard to
remove the back links, but I believe a fix is being worked on.

On Wed, 2017-12-06 at 10:16 -0500, Bob Thomas via samba wrote:

> Good Morning (or not),
>
> I am running three Samba AD DCs all at version 4.7.2 on Ubuntu 16.04.
> All three have run flawlessly for over a year.
> Last night one of the DCs started failing Replication with both the
> other DCs so I decided to run samba-tool dbcheck .
> Resulting in several:
>
> ERROR: orphaned backlink attribute 'memberOf' in CN=Annamarie
> Foyles,CN=Users,DC=cy,DC=cybernetics,DC=com for link member in CN=CY
> Folder Redirect (Win 7),CN=Users,DC=cy,DC=cybernetics,DC=com
> Not removing orphaned backlink memberOf
>
> ERROR: orphaned backlink attribute 'memberOf' in CN=Darran T.
> Price,CN=Users,DC=cy,DC=cybernetics,DC=com for link member in CN=CY
> Folder Redirect (Win 7),CN=Users,DC=cy,DC=cybernetics,DC=com
> Not removing orphaned backlink memberOf
>
> So I ran samba-tool dbcheck --fix which fixed a few of them and actually
> got the replications working again, But there are several of those same
> errors on all three DCs.  I have searched the list and see that the
> cause of the Backlink removal error has been fixed in version 4.7.1 but
> the db needs to be cleaned manually.  Just to let you know,  samba-tool
> dbcheck --cross-ncs passed with no errors following the upgrade to
> 4.7.0, 4.7.1 and 4.7.2 so i'm not sure how the errors are here now.
>
> MY QUESTION IS: Could anyone provide me with the directions I need to
> use to safely manually remove the troubled orphaned backlink attributes
> so the DCs are happy again.  At the moment everything is working fine, I
> just need to get the db healthy.

As long as replication is going again, don't worry too much.  An
improved dbcheck will be in the next 4.7 release but otherwise I
wouldn't worry too much.

I hope this helps,

Re: ERROR: missing backlink attribute 'memberOf'

Samba - General mailing list
Thank you Andrew and Rowland for your quick replies.

I won't worry but will be happy when the improved dbcheck is out.