ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_MEMORY resulting into HTTP 500

ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_MEMORY resulting into HTTP 500

Radovan Skolnik
Hello!

We are using JCIFS 1.1.11 to autenthicate web users accessing Apache
Tomcat/4.1.30 on HP-UX platform. The domain consists of few Windows 2003
domain controllers running backward compatibility mode (so Windows 2003
style is not enabled) without any WINS server (there won't be any in the
future). Quite often the PDC returns message 8 - ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_MEMORY
resulting into HTTP 500. Refresh of the page usually helps the situation.
Another workaround is to reconfigure the filter to go to another PDC. Has
anyone encountered this? Any suggestions? Is there (could there be) some
load-balancing mechanism to query more than one PDC in case one fails? Is
there any part of the code in 1.2.x versions that could help this? If needed
I can provide communication dump.

Here's a list of parameters that are setup:
        jcifs.smb.client.domain=ST
        jcifs.netbios.wins=10.168.7.31
        jcifs.smb.client.username=webtest
        jcifs.smb.client.password=************
        jcifs.http.domainController=10.168.7.31
        jcifs.http.loadBalance=false
        jcifs.http.insecureBasic=0
        jcifs.http.enableBasic=0

Here's a entry from the audit log (seems to me everything's OK there):
        Event Type: Success Audit
        Event Source: Security
        Event Category: Account Logon
        Event ID: 680
        Date: 8. 12. 2005
        Time: 15:31:51
        User: ST\webtest
        Computer: DATACENTER02
        Logon attempt by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
        Logon account: webtest
        Source Workstation: \\JCIFS192_76_94
        Error Code: 0x0

Best regards

        Radovan Skolnik

Ing. Radovan Skolnik
TEMPEST s.r.o.
Department of Enterprise Management
Plynarenska 7/B
821 09 Bratislava
Slovak Republic

E-mail: [hidden email]
www:   http://www.tempest.sk
Tel:   +421 (2) 502 67 174
Fax:   +421 (2) 502 67 100

ITIL, SLM, Networking, Telco, Management, CORBA, Java and XML

Re: ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_MEMORY resulting into HTTP 500

Michael B Allen-4
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:25:55 +0100
"Radovan Skolnik" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> We are using JCIFS 1.1.11 to autenthicate web users accessing Apache
> Tomcat/4.1.30 on HP-UX platform. The domain consists of few Windows 2003
> domain controllers running backward compatibility mode (so Windows 2003
> style is not enabled) without any WINS server (there won't be any in the
> future). Quite often the PDC returns message 8 - ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_MEMORY
> resulting into HTTP 500. Refresh of the page usually helps the situation.

That error is coming from the server.

> Another workaround is to reconfigure the filter to go to another PDC. Has
> anyone encountered this? Any suggestions? Is there (could there be) some
> load-balancing mechanism to query more than one PDC in case one fails? Is
> there any part of the code in 1.2.x versions that could help this? If needed

I would definitely try to upgrade to the latest. It's more stable than
1.2. I know it's a pain to QA but it does provide more robust handling
for the filter. Look at the release notes for specific changes. Some
are detailed quite a bit.

I can't guarantee it will fix your problem though. The client interrogates
the DC with a tree connect to IPC$ when it first connects but if the
NOT_ENOUGH_MEMORY error occurs after that you will still get an error. It
should close the connection though causing a new one to be established
which appears to be working in your case.

I think you should try the latest with the default config.

Mike