Quantcast

ERROR: Invalid idmap range for domain *!

ERROR: Invalid idmap range for domain *!

Samba - General mailing list
Today I upgraded two AD DCs to Samba 4.60.

All looks well. I noticed greater speed in some areas.

When I run "testparm", the output contains the following:

idmap range not specified for domain '*'
ERROR: Invalid idmap range for domain *!

"samba-tool testparm" does not output this. I remember that some efforts
were put into unifying the behavior of these tools.

Although I suppose that "samba-tool testparm" is the proper way to check
the config in the case of a AD DC, doesn't this bring some confusion to
users? After all, the tool is telling the user that he has an "invalid
idmap range for domain *". And with a "!" at the end! Is this supposed
to be so or was it an oversight?

Re: ERROR: Invalid idmap range for domain *!

Samba - General mailing list
On Fri, 2017-03-10 at 21:58 +0000, Miguel Medalha via samba wrote:

> Today I upgraded two AD DCs to Samba 4.60.
>
> All looks well. I noticed greater speed in some areas.
>
> When I run "testparm", the output contains the following:
>
> idmap range not specified for domain '*'
> ERROR: Invalid idmap range for domain *!
>
> "samba-tool testparm" does not output this. I remember that some
> efforts
> were put into unifying the behavior of these tools.
>
> Although I suppose that "samba-tool testparm" is the proper way to
> check
> the config in the case of a AD DC, doesn't this bring some confusion
> users? After all, the tool is telling the user that he has an
> "invalid
> idmap range for domain *". And with a "!" at the end! Is this
> supposed
> to be so or was it an oversight?

This output is a bug, the default normal configuration for the AD DC
has been caught up in an attempt to detect invalid configurations for
the domain member case.  Can you file it in our bugzilla?

Re: ERROR: Invalid idmap range for domain *!

Samba - General mailing list

> This output is a bug, the default normal configuration for the AD DC
> has been caught up in an attempt to detect invalid configurations for
> the domain member case.  Can you file it in our bugzilla?

Done. Filed as Bug 12629.
Thank you.